Journey 7/14: Someone Missed the Boat?

jdarch

Hi folks - Now that we're mostly over Bermuditis, I just remembered something: when we pulled out of Hamilton to return to Bayonne (7/19), there was one person late to board. They paged her and held the boat, but noone showed :eek:. Anyone know what happened? Some lines pay your alternative return, some don't...

The guest has the resonsibility to return to the ship on time. Have seen several people running last minute to board as the ship was leaving.

I agree that everyone has a responsibility.. and though sometimes things happen its not acceptable for people to disregard those rules.. I was once on a cruise during which we waited an extra two hours for a couple of "teenagers". They were so late that we had to leave two hours early from our next port. SO I guess its good that Azamara keeps up with their policy; at least people will be respectful of the time constraints which are put upon them.. Just my two cents.

Hi folks - Now that we're mostly over Bermuditis, I just remembered something: when we pulled out of Hamilton to return to Bayonne (7/19), there was one person late to board. They paged her and held the boat, but noone showed

For her sake let's hope she was just late and not injured.

One of my favorite things to do when leaving a port is to get a chair and a cold drink to enjoy while watching passengers run up the pier as the walkway is being removed. It is especially fun in hot and humid locations.

One of my favorite things to do when leaving a port is to get a chair and a cold drink to enjoy while watching passengers run up the pier as the walkway is being removed. It is especially fun in hot and humid locations.

It is kind of funny I got to admit. Maybe I should try it next time. haha!!:o

You know we did the same thing on our cruise to the Caribbean in 2005. An excursion was late getting back from Margaritaville, and wow that was quite a scene. The ship was not going anywhere, but in their state they believed it was. They were running like mad to make the ship. I sat there looking out the window thinking, wow I wish I had taken that excursion!!

We were on a cruise once where we were tendered. At sail time, we took off. About 10 minutes later, we see this speed boat running out to the ship with about 10 people on board. Guy standing next to me on the deck says -- oh my God -- my wife is on that boat. No -- he did not say -- captain captain -- full steam ahead. Appears a excursion, came back late. Ship said they knew it (which we wondered) and were just moving the ship. The fun thing was trying to watch people get back on board from a small bobbing speed boat.

Cruise ships wait for passengers who are booked on the cruise line's excursions if they are late. We have been on two excursions that ran late...one in Italy thanks to Romes's typical traffic jams, and one in Belize.

We were not at all concerned about the ship leaving without us.

On the other hand, if you're out on your own you run a real risk of the ship leaving without you.

If you're out on your own ... and miss "back-on-board" time :eek: ... you are on your own to find a way to meet the ship at the next port. I don't know of a single cruise line that will pay your "alternate transportation" under those circumstances. But they do have Port Agents in each port that will help you contact the ship and make arrangements to get to the next port ... using YOUR $$$.

We were on one cruise where 4 crew members missed the ship ... heard that they were fired upon showing up at the next port ... their bags were packed and waiting for them.

We, too, were on an excursion that was late getting back to the ship in Belize where we were tendered. Our bus had broken down on the return trip from cave tubing. The ship was pulling up anchor as we were boarding from our tender. Since it was booked through the cruise line, we were never worried about being left. Sometimes, it pays to pay more to book your excursions through the ship.

Ahh yes - the age-old question -- whether to purchase shore excursions from the cruise line, or while in port (much cheaper).

I guess the answer is always a question - 'what's your tolerance of risk?'

Hey corona5657 - I think we should start a new thread about watching the late-arrivers scurry back up the gangway while we're sipping a drink upstairs watching and laughing hysterically! It's always been my DW's and my favorite 'sail-away' activity!

Re what happened, the women was Italian and was accustomed to telling time on a 24-hour clock so she and her husband thought the ship was due to sail at 4AM on Friday rather than 4PM on Thursday. The husband had already returned to the ship but his wife stayed to do more shopping. He was able to contact her via cell phone. The husband then gave the tug boat captain who guided the ship out of Hamilton his wife's passport so she was able to fly to Newark and join her husband at the end of the cruise.

And I will deserve every chuckle! I am sorry if my original post offended you.

cruisingdelt: I am guilty as charged with you. But, we are not alone as I saw quite a few people being amused at the group coming back late from Margaritaville. The group was laughing right along with everyone!!

LOL!!

Gotta' remember that one for next cruise.

A little pre-departure theater!! :D

We've had passengers (at our table) say they we're going to stay in St. Georges and catch the boat over in Hamilton - but that's only a cab ride away.

Ahh yes - the age-old question -- whether to purchase shore excursions from the cruise line, or while in port (much cheaper).

I guess the answer is always a question - 'what's your tolerance of risk?'!

I always say that if you are in port all day and want to book you own private tour, ALWAYS go in the morning leaving half a day buffer to get back to the ship in time.

Archived