Sunday stop, Is Hamilton visit worth it?

suzadoll

Hi All,

We will be on the Crown, docking at Kings Wharf Sunday 8/26 9-5pm.

Myself and my party of 10 have never been to beautiful Bemuda before and I was hoping to buy the $12.00 day pass, catch the ferry to Hamiton, take in the sights and then take the bus to Horseshoe Bay.

After reading the boards, it sounds like Sunday in Hamilton in pretty much closed down. Is it worth going anyway,just to see the town? I feel like I will miss the flavor of the island if we just hit HS bay beach (although I hear it is beautiful). Does anyone know is anything open on a Sunday in Hamilton?

If any one has any other ideas for a Sunday visit combined with HS Bay beach, would love to hear it.

Thank you in advance.

Suzadoll

Hi All,

Myself and my party of 10 have never been to beautiful Bemuda before and I was hoping to buy the $12.00 day pass, catch the ferry to Hamiton, take in the sights and then take the bus to Horseshoe Bay.

After reading the boards, it sounds like Sunday in Hamilton in pretty much closed down. Is it worth going anyway,just to see the town? I feel like I will miss the flavor of the island if we just hit HS bay beach (although I hear it is beautiful). Does anyone know is anything open on a Sunday in Hamilton?

If any one has any other ideas for a Sunday visit combined with HS Bay beach, would love to hear it.

Thank you in advance.

Suzadoll

if you got a shopping itch that you need to scratch, you'll still be itchy. the vast majority of the shops are closed, definitely the major stores.there will be a couple small souvinir shops open along with all bars and restaurants.

Hi All,

Thank you in advance.

Suzadoll

Take the local ferry to Hamilton rather than the express. The local stops in all these little our of the way villages and is a great way to go around the harbor rather than straight accross. Save Hamilton for the scenic views. I would visit Fort Hamilton, located in the center of the city. It has fantastic views from all sides and the former moat has now become a botanical garden. The Hog Penny pub has the atmosphere of an authenic English pub that I remember from London, with great draft beer and ales. If you go to Horseshoe (and you should), you could see Gibbs lighthouse on the way back. If you climb to the top, you will have the best views of Bermuda. There is also a teahouse located at the base with a gift shop. I am just not sure if it open on Sunday or not. You could also stop in the village of Somerset on the way back to the dockyard (King's Wharf). This is a very pretty village and there is also Fort Scaur nearby. The nice thing about the transportation pass is that you get unlimited use of the ferries and the buses. You can get on and off as many times as you want. You can shop at the dockyard, there is a crafts shopping area and a mall (Clocktower Mall). The mall contains many nice shops and also has two of my favorite stops. The glass blowing studio demonstrates the art of blowing glass, but it does get hot. They have wonderful pieces of glasswork for sale. We buy a different colored vase every year. Further down is the rum cake factory. You can try free samples of the different rum cakes they make fresh daily. Delicious. This is the best place to buy them, as they have the best quality and price.

Take the local ferry to Hamilton rather than the express. The local stops in all these little our of the way villages and is a great way to go around the harbor rather than straight accross. Save Hamilton for the scenic views. I would visit Fort Hamilton, located in the center of the city. It has fantastic views from all sides and the former moat has now become a botanical garden. The Hog Penny pub has the atmosphere of an authenic English pub that I remember from London, with great draft beer and ales. If you go to Horseshoe (and you should), you could see Gibbs lighthouse on the way back. If you climb to the top, you will have the best views of Bermuda. There is also a teahouse located at the base with a gift shop. I am just not sure if it open on Sunday or not. You could also stop in the village of Somerset on the way back to the dockyard (King's Wharf). This is a very pretty village and there is also Fort Scaur nearby. The nice thing about the transportation pass is that you get unlimited use of the ferries and the buses. You can get on and off as many times as you want. You can shop at the dockyard, there is a crafts shopping area and a mall (Clocktower Mall). The mall contains many nice shops and also has two of my favorite stops. The glass blowing studio demonstrates the art of blowing glass, but it does get hot. They have wonderful pieces of glasswork for sale. We buy a different colored vase every year. Further down is the rum cake factory. You can try free samples of the different rum cakes they make fresh daily. Delicious. This is the best place to buy them, as they have the best quality and price.

Sounds like a plan!! Thanks you for these great ideas Writeratsea!!!

Sounds like a plan!! Thanks you for these great ideas Writeratsea!!!

Just trying to give you more options than simply going shopping in Hamilton. Bermuda is a special place and you should try to taste the flavor of this unique island. You are in control of your vacation and should tailor the time spent there to what interests you.:)

Just trying to give you more options than simply going shopping in Hamilton. Bermuda is a special place and you should try to taste the flavor of this unique island. You are in control of your vacation and should tailor the time spent there to what interests you.:)

Well I am a beach lover ( not a big shopper) but my husband loves anything historical, I am always trying to find something on our trips to keep us both happy. The Sunday day in Bermuda with the Blue Laws was kinda throwing me off on what we are able to see and do on our limited 9-5 time frame. Do you think we can fit what you suggested all in from 9-5? I am a little bit worried about limited transportation schedules on Sunday also.

Thanks again Writeratsea---Suzadoll

Well I am a beach lover ( not a big shopper) but my husband loves anything historical, I am always trying to find something on our trips to keep us both happy. The Sunday day in Bermuda with the Blue Laws was kinda throwing me off on what we are able to see and do on our limited 9-5 time frame. Do you think we can fit what you suggested all in from 9-5? I am a little bit worried about limited transportation schedules on Sunday also.

Thanks again Writeratsea---Suzadoll

Is the Maritime Museum open on Sunday? Because that is right at the Dockyards, so after checking out the South Shore Beaches, and maybe a quick stop at the Swizzle Inn, you can explore the museum and fort. That should cover 6 hours. :D

Is the Maritime Museum open on Sunday? Because that is right at the Dockyards, so after checking out the South Shore Beaches, and maybe a quick stop at the Swizzle Inn, you can explore the museum and fort. That should cover 6 hours. :D

Maritime Museum open 9:30-5:00 daily except Christmas Day.

Maritime Museum open 9:30-5:00 daily except Christmas Day.

It may be open to 5 PM if you are already inside. They close the entrance gates at 4 PM. They are also strict about the time. We tried to get in last year at 4:05, the gates were locked and they said sorry closed. So you have to enter prior to 4 PM.

Archived