Past Guest Upgrade??

vencrz

Sorry, no free upgrades unless you're diamond plus with RCI, and then only offered a couple of weeks before you sail, and then only if there are a certain number of staterooms available in one category up from yours....inside to outside, outside to balcony, balcony to suite. With ships sailing pretty much full, free upgrades are few and far between.

There are Crown and Anchor coupons save you money on the cost of your cruise. The dollar values are different depending on your C&A level and the specific cruise, and they are for specific cruises, but the date range is fairly wide, and so is the selection of ships. In addition, C&A members get discounts off of balcony and higher and bookings. As Diamond members we get $100.00/cabin discount for a 7 day booking, $200 for a longer cruise. And you get both, not just one or the other. Frankly, I'll take the discounts over an upgrade any time :D

Jodi

There are Crown and Anchor coupons save you money on the cost of your cruise. The dollar values are different depending on your C&A level and the specific cruise, and they are for specific cruises, but the date range is fairly wide, and so is the selection of ships. In addition, C&A members get discounts off of balcony and higher and bookings. As Diamond members we get $100.00/cabin discount for a 7 day booking, $200 for a longer cruise. And you get both, not just one or the other. Frankly, I'll take the discounts over an upgrade any time :D

Jodi

You are correct, but upgrades also can save you more than a discount.

Thank you for your replies.

My brother has cruised 4 times and he has been upgraded twice. So yes it does happen. We are diamond and have never received an upgrade, not complaining, just giving you an example. So I do not know how they base their free upgrades.

Annieeee

Sorry, no free upgrades unless you're diamond plus with RCI, and then only offered a couple of weeks before you sail, and then only if there are a certain number of staterooms available in one category up from yours....inside to outside, outside to balcony, balcony to suite. With ships sailing pretty much full, free upgrades are few and far between.

You do not HAVE to be Diamond Plus in order for RCI to offer an upgrade ... my in laws are Gold, and were upgraded to a Grand Suite at no additional charge. I seriously doubt it happens often, but it might happen once in a blue moon.

If you book a "guarantee" then you are more likely to get upgraded--If you book a specific cabin, don't hold your breath-no matter HOW many times you have cruised with RCI!!!! And, a guarantee booking is no "guarantee" of an upgrade!

If you get one--great, but be sure you can live with what you selected!

You are correct, but upgrades also can save you more than a discount.

Thank you for your replies.

That's likely very true, depending on the value of the upgrade, but since we initially book the cabin we want (an aft balcony, D1), and don't want to be changed, the discounts work better for us.

Jodi

when we were cruising carnival i read these boards daily- especially the threads about upgrades- they are as rare there as they are here basically-

i did do an 8d gty with them and got 8e- whoopi do- ( is like booking an e2 gty on rci and getting an e1)

the c and a discounts , stockholder obc, plat or diamond balcony discounts , concierge lounge, etc......far outway a once in a lifetime upgrade.....imho...:)

Ivanova,

I don't doubt that your in-laws were upgraded, but I assumed the OP was asking about "regular" upgrades for past guests. CEL offers a one category upgrade to their frequent cruisers, but RCI's upgrade fairy once in a blue moon might upgrade someone regardless of status, even has happened to newbies. On a regular basis due to "past" guest status, the answer is no.

Since we've achieved D+ status, we've been upgraded four or five times, but not every time. My understanding is that CEL will offer one category upgrades (within the category, i.e, inside, outside, balcony, but not suites) to their elite members, and I'm not sure about the select status. Also, you can't go from the highest inside to the lowest outside, or the highest outside to the lowest balcony.

We can all say a prayer to the upgrade fairy that she'll grace us with one of her darts!

Jodi

Our C & A discounts seem to differ. We are diamond members and get a $200 cabin discount for 7 day cruises and a $300 cabin discount for longer cruises.

When we were platinum we got the $100 discount for 7 days and $200 for longer cruises.

Our C & A discounts seem to differ. We are diamond members and get a $200 cabin discount for 7 day cruises and a $300 cabin discount for longer cruises.

When we were platinum we got the $100 discount for 7 days and $200 for longer cruises.

I think you are right, maybe they were quoting platinum discounts by mistake and typed diamond.

If I am not mistaken, Carnival sometimes offers specials for Past Guests for a free upgrade - usually same category, but different deck! Holland and Princess also sometimes offers upgrades for their past guests. I do not believe RCI does this. I, too, have sailed RCI many times, and have never been upgraded! I don't care, I just love cruising!!

You're right - I was quoting the platinum level. We're diamond and get the higher level (living in the past, I guess) Sorry for the inaccuracy!

These amounts are correct. ;)

Platinum Balcony discount is,

$50 for 3-5 nights

$100 for 6-8 nights

$200 for 9 nights or above

Diamond Balcony discount is,

$100 for 3-5 nights

$200 for 6-8 nights

$300 for 9 nights or above

That is per cabin, not per person. ;)

It can happen - but appears rare - I know of two cases in which a person in a grand suite was upgraded to an owners suite.

Not sure why it happened, but we got word on the Friday before a Sunday sailing of the upgrade in both cases.

Archived