leave my heavy winter coat at home???

chickade910

I have a Columbia parka that has a fleece lining and an attached hood. We were there just last week and I was SOOOOO glad that I had it!

I am relatively cold natured, but I wore it while whale watching, while glacier viewing and when we were on our a boat tour in Kenai. I had a fleece head wrap and scarf. The only item I didn't need were my gloves as they were hard to take pictures with. I suppose the answer to your questions is...'How miserable will you be if you don't take it and you get cold?' I was VERY grateful that I had packed mine!

The thing I packed too many of was dressy clothes for dinner.

My rules of thumb:

1) Layers, layers, layers (temperatures on this last cruise varied from the 40s and a downpour in Glacier Bay to 70s and bright sun in College Fjord the next day). It will be cold at a glacier face, possibly on deck while under way, and perhaps on the water for excursions.

2) A waterproof or water repelent option. We had a lot of rain and mist on this last cruise.

3) A layer that will wick moisture away from your body. Damp and cold is no way to spend a 6-7 hour tour.

Have a great cruise.

It's funny you should mention this. I just returned from Alaska last week and there were a few occasions when I missed my coat. Granted I get cold when it is below 75. I listened to all of the "layer" and the "fleece lined people" and I was cold. The majority of the time in port that was satisfactory. However, sailing through Tracy Arm, Glacier Bay etc I wish I had brought a heavier coat. If you are cold-natured and from a warmer climate you may have a need for something heavier than a light jacket.

I went in mid-September and wore nothing heavier than a thin windbreaker over a long-sleeve tee. At one point I got so warm that I had to buy a short sleeve t-shirt from a gift shop. I was glad I did not have to lug a coat.

Even if you are not warm natured like me, layers are the way to go.

I think it depends on what part of the US you live in and how cold of a winter you have. I live in Las Vegas where for3 to 4 months out of the year I live in 110+ weather and winter really does not get that cold but we wear heavy winter coats because our blood is much thinner so when we are in 60 degree weather we are cold. I have a water resistant windbreaker that is some what long mid thigh length, it has a hood and has a zip in lining. Because it really is not a parker it does not take up much room. I wore it the first week of May last year for our Alaska cruise and again for our June 17th cruise this year and will bring it again for our Sept 9th cruise to Alaska. Yes I also bring sweat shirts and turtle necks but I am always glad I have my winter coat and I also bring my leather fur lined gloves for when we are out on the bow watching the glaciers. Now if you come from North Dakota or Up State New York you know cold and more than likely a summer Alaska cruise may not feel all that cold to you so layers will work just fine. I think it has a lot to do with you concept of cold.

We were there in mid-July and I had packed my heavy coat, just in case. After about 30 minutes on deck (in layers) in Tracy Arm, I ran down to get that heavy coat. I was SO glad I had it with me. With it on, I was able to stay out on deck the entire time we were there....and it was so beautiful, I did not want to miss a thing! My advice: leave out a couple of shirts or a dress--and bring your coat! :)

OK, I'm from HOuston so I'm used to the hot weather, too...

I'm glad I didn't bring the coat. I did bring a polartec fleece and I only wore it once, on the last sea day in College Fjord.

Otherwise, I wore long-sleeved cotton shirts (or t-shirts), a short-sleeved hoodie when needed, and my water-repellant lined windbreaker. I was a bit cool some days, but usually warmed up pretty quick.

The coldest weather we saw in mid-July was comparable to our average winter weather here -- ie, wet and in the upper 50s to low 60s.

What's your itinirary? Are you going to be starting in Anchorage? Or is it starting in Vancouver/Seattle?

If you get cold at 75 degrees, just wear what you need to be comfortable to about 70 degrees. Layer if possible. If it means a shirt, then sweater, than a fleece, fine.

That's because it really doesn't drop until you go pretty far up north. Anywhere with a glacier is going to be really cold. However, bulky winter coats take up too much room. Especially when you might not need them for long.

What you should do instead is layer, and if you don't have a decent outer shell, buy one of the fleece lined Alaska jackets. They range from about $15 - $30. In Anchorage, they're the most expensive. However, if you start there, you might as well buy it since you'll likely hit the glaciers the next day. If you start from the South, pick it up on your first stop. Likely Ketchikan. With the coupon book you find at the start of your cruise, it should be $15 there (only $20 without the coupon). It's a freaking bargain. Pick it up there and you should be fine with layers for the rest of the cruise.

The jackets are amazing. Awesome deal. You'll see tons of people buying them. Slap a college logo on it, and it would be sold for about $80 in a college bookstore.

I'm leaving the day after you; I'm cold natured; the temp here today in West KY is 102; I think my body is in for a BIG SHOCK with the temperature changes! My motto is "I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!!!!" For Christmas we each got jackets with removeable fleece lining, and they are packed!!!

I have a water resistant windbreaker that is some what long mid thigh length, it has a hood and has a zip in lining. Because it really is not a parker it does not take up much room.

Lisa - I think you just hit on the answer. The description you gave of your winter coat is a spring jacket in Colorado. So when people talk about "winter" coats, I guess it depends on what part of the country they are from.

Archived