Carry on restrictions? how do you do it?

Remember that if you are flying out of Heathrow, the carryon bag must fit in the bag sizer at security. If your bag doesn't fit, you have to check it. The sizer is 22" x 17.7" x 10" and all the handles and wheels have to fit in! Very few rollaboards will make the cutoff, even if they are sold as 21 or 22" models. My rolling duffel has a base that's just over 10", but I may chance it and hope I can angle the bag slightly.

What do these sizers look like? Are they open metal frames? Enclosed boxes? My carry-on is about as big as you go, and has always fitted the sizers present in the past (usually either open frames and or cutaway templates on the front on scanning machines). But it isn't built favouring metric measurements, so it's not "approximately 22 inches", it IS 22 inches.

Also, how likely are you to encounter size ****s using the T1 FCC? Aren't they more interested in ruining the day of passengers orgininating at LHR?

The maximum permitted size is 56cm x 45cm x 25cm. To be exact, this translates into 22.05 in x 17.72 in x 9.84 in. So, depending on how exactly your bag is 22 inches, you should be OK.

I haven't ever really looked closely at the sizers used by the security screeners, but my recollection is that they're more boxes than frames. There have been many reports of bags getting stuck in them. Indeed, I remember an early report of an airline having to carry the sizer with the bag, because they couldn't free the bag from it. :)

The size checks are definitely done in the FCC as well as at the landside->airside checkpoints. I can't say how rigorously the screeners enforce the limits at either place, but they are definitely not interested in ruining anyone's day. If you should have a potential problem, you might be quite surprised at how much they are willing to try to help to solve it, rather than being confrontational (assuming, of course, that you don't wind them up!). They are not TSA, after all.

The key is to be sure that your luggage meets the overall size for carry ons. That they will look at. Yes, it is a challenge with one carry on as you have to really think through what you will carry on the plane with you. If you take a laptop be sure to carry it on the plane with you in the one piece you take.

Keith

The BA site used to say something similar.

Believe me, it will make no difference who your carrier is. After you check in you will join the queue to go through security checks and like any other airport, they will not ask which carrier you are with.

BTW this is not just Heathrow, it is just the same at all UK airports

We flew through Luton yesterday - the one bag restriction was at security and not to do with the specific airline. I fitted my purse into my handluggage. The security guard reminded me to do it. Handluggage was not weighed, but checked luggage was only 20 kilo - that was a bit close. 2 of the 3 cases were 19 kilos.

Last year I was looking at treating myself to new smart hand luggage. I am really good I never quite saw what I wanted because it would be useless amidst all the security checks. Little and light.

Does anyone have any tips for storing photos without needing to take a laptop. A portable digital photo reader/storage??

Does anyone have any tips for storing photos without needing to take a laptop. A portable digital photo reader/storage??
One option is to bring a number of extra memory cards. They're small, and so very easily packed and carried.

Another is to bring a memory stick. You'd need to borrow a computer into which to download the photos, and then upload them into the memory stick.

A third alternative, where available, is to ask the ship's photo shop (or somewhere ashore) to burn the photos onto a CD, so that you can re-use the memory card that's in the camera.

I cant quite understand why Virgin still stick to this weight limit. BA, who used to have a weight restiction as well, now say that as long as the passenger can lift it up into the overhead locker, there is no weight restriction.

Jimmy

One option is to bring a number of extra memory cards. They're small, and so very easily packed and carried.

Another is to bring a memory stick. You'd need to borrow a computer into which to download the photos, and then upload them into the memory stick.

A third alternative, where available, is to ask the ship's photo shop (or somewhere ashore) to burn the photos onto a CD, so that you can re-use the memory card that's in the camera.

I think I should invest in the first option. Next time I will not lug around the laptop - however convenient it is to have one.

Flying out of London's Gatwick airport three weeks ago, there was absolutely no flexibility on the one carryon rule. I was amazed at the number of people who thought they could talk their way past security with more than one but they were refused entrance to the boarding area if they carried more than one bag. This was airport security, not an individual airline. I carried my laptop bag and used the front pocket for items I had to have. My husband's brief case carried our meds and my wallet. Everything else was packed. I have to admit it was very nice to not have a lot of stuff with me. I didn't weigh our bags but I'm sure they were nowhere near 13 lbs.

To me they have gone overboard at London Airports. When they say you can take one carry on at a size of 22" the reality is for American carryons that size it does not work as when we say 22" it does not take into account the wheels and the top handle and the piece at the bottom that stabilizes the luggage when it is upright. i can't tell you how many different pieces of carry ons we own because the rules keep changing.

Keith

boy oh boy--things must have really tightened up since last Oct. when we flew out of Heathrow!! I had a carryon ( 20 lbs) and a very large purse and I have never gone through security so fast. Maybe it was time for everyone to have a coffee break:rolleyes: .

boy oh boy--things must have really tightened up since last Oct. when we flew out of Heathrow!! I had a carryon ( 20 lbs) and a very large purse and I have never gone through security so fast. Maybe it was time for everyone to have a coffee break:rolleyes: .

It's one carry on item. Purse counts as one item or must go into say a carry on.

Keith

I like the new restrictions on hand luggage it means that there is space in the overhead bins for everybody. :)

I don't necessarily disagree. It's the size that is bothersome. I just don't think a whole lot of effort went into choosing the size.

Keith

I don't necessarily disagree. It's the size that is bothersome. I just don't think a whole lot of effort went into choosing the size.

Keith

I think the size is more than adequate. Why would anyone want to be weighed down with a big bag with stuff they won't need on a flight.

I think the size is more than adequate. Why would anyone want to be weighed down with a big bag with stuff they won't need on a flight.

I don't agree. My wife and I came home from a world cruise. The cruise ended in London. It was a major challenge to fit all of the items we needed to with the restrictions. And we are not one of those people who normally takes enourmous bags with us. But, being along that long we had a computer which we needed to take care of things such as paying bills as I did not want to compromise my acocounts using a public computer, we had a couple of cameras and a video camera, my wife had jewelry and so forth.

And we had a few breakable items that we also had to carry with us.

And, we are not one of those tourists who spend our time in port shopping.

So, now since we are booked on another world cruise that ends in London we have now gone out to buy yet another carry on bag that fits these new specifications.

The specifcations have changed something like three fold over the past few years. I understood the problems in August of 2006 and as such we ran out to get even smaller bags than we had used the year before because of the limited requirements but this time around the 22" limit which really doesn't allow for a 22" inch bag when one consider the wheels, the bottom stabiizer piece is rediculous. We had to buy yet another bag. It wouldn't have hurt to make the size slight larger. I understand the one bag rule and I am one who puts safety first but it could be more reasonable.

Keith

[quote name='Elaine0138']I think the size is more than adequate. Why would anyone want to be weighed down with a big bag with stuff they won't need on a flight.[/quote]
The short answer to this question is "lost luggage"!! We are leaving shortly on a month's holiday..a Med cruise and then a week in Britain.....and having read the threads on CC about lost luggage, I am planning to pack changes of clothes for both DH and myself...plus all the meds and other "can't do without" incidentals. Also complicating everything is the fact that I need my CPAP machine which I am told will have to be considered my 1 carryon when leaving LHR.
That is why our carryon will be full!!

Archived