Help with USD-GBP exchange info.

donna5

My husband wanted to get the exchange when we arrive at EDI airport. Well I don't want to wait til the last minute. We were told that over in G.B. they don't take U.S. Travelers checks and businesses,trains etc, also do not take U.S. Dollars.

SOOO I hope I can get a quick answer to what we need to get currency excanged there. If any one knows the hours of the forein currency exchange at EDI?

I think the biggest airport we will be going through before crossing the pond will be Atlanta, they supposedly have a currency exchange. (Is that a good option)?

Where in Edinburough would there be a currency exchange and would they cash and convert U.S. Travelers checks?

Any info would be helpful. Our local AAA agency is useless. We call the number and get routed to Denver and they say they don't do Great Britain Travelers Checks anymore to use Travelex, but there aren't any on our side of the mountain.

Please help this is our first time over the pond.

Thank you.

We were told that over in G.B. they don't take U.S. Travelers checks and businesses,trains etc, also do not take U.S. Dollars.
Just to get this over and done with: Of course we don't, as a rule. After all, how many shops in Grand Junction will accept GBP? :)

The only thing to add to that is that you may find some shops that will take USD, but it will almost certainly be at a very poor exchange rate.

SOOO I hope I can get a quick answer to what we need to get currency excanged there. If any one knows the hours of the forein currency exchange at EDI?
The usual answers apply to the rest of your queries: The best way of getting local money when you arrive is to use an ATM. Make sure you have an ATM card, preferably one that operates using a 4-digit PIN. There will be plenty at the airport.

A bureau de change will usually be more expensive than using an ATM. But they are there at Edinburgh airport, and all over central Edinburgh as well. If you use the ones at the airport, they should be no more expensive than using the same company in town - this is a requirement imposed by the airport when leasing space to all shops.

If you want to explore the facilities available at Edinburgh airport, start with this page from the airport's website.

However, this may well not apply to whatever bureaux de change there are at Atlanta airport. Where price guarantees like that don't exist, shops and facilities at airport are generally notorious for jacking up their prices because of the captive market.

Thanks Globaliser,

Do you know if the exchange offices will let us use American Travelers checks to buy currency or only USD.

I went to that link and it is very helpful also. Thank you very much. I wasn't sure how big the airport was and what services were available.

P.S. I wasn't complaining about them not taking USD, I just need to know what to do, since we have never been there. We normally take public transportation and needed to know what we would need.

Hi There,

There is an exchange in Edinburgh airport, if you are coming via Atlanta are you flying Delta,

If you what to bring US Dollar traveler cheques there are loads of places to cash them, the Post Office Thomas Cook, or even store like M&S will do this at a good rate, little shops in main tourist areas often give poor rates, air port place is OK but not the best.

Just a note on Scottish money we have three banks that print money, there is only one in England that does, you can use either north or south does not matter, if you are into golf look for Scottish Five pound note with the Golden Bear on it at St.Andrews.

yours Shogun

shogun

Yes it will be Delta.

No not into golf.

What is the deal with "Scottish Five pound note with the Golden Bear on it at St.Andrews"?

We are doing Edinburgh and then Aviemore for the Glen Livet Gathering.

We like sightseeing, we plan on walking around Edinburgh and of course seeing the castle.

As Globaliser says, an ATM card is really the way to go.

As for Travellers' Cheques, most towns and cities have an abundance of Travel Agency Shops. They will certainly cash your cheques as will any bank or the Post Office as stated.

Currency exchange is big business here, where do you think we get our holiday cash from?

Both Edinburgh and Aviemore are heavily committed to the Tourist industry, you will have no problem at all exchanging money.

Use that competitiveness though to get the best rate and remember that they will be buying dollars off you which over here means it will be a lower rate than the selling rate so shop around

As Globaliser says, an ATM card is really the way to go.

As for Travellers' Cheques, most towns and cities have an abundance of Travel Agency Shops. They will certainly cash your cheques as will any bank or the Post Office as stated.

Currency exchange is big business here, where do you think we get our holiday cash from?

Both Edinburgh and Aviemore are heavily committed to the Tourist industry, you will have no problem at all exchanging money.

Use that competitiveness though to get the best rate and remember that they will be buying dollars off you which over here means it will be a lower rate than the selling rate so shop around

I beg to differ. I had American Express US dollars travellers' cheques and had the utmost difficulty in cashing them in England last month.

No, "any bank" will not cash them and shops and hotels will not accept them. I was told this is because of the UK government's need to comply with US requirements since 9/11. After 2 fruitless hours trying to cash travellers' cheques at banks in Reading (England) I had to stand in line at the main Post Office and there they compared my TQ with photographs of the ones they are allowed to encash. Not only that, while TQ are supposed to be paid at full face value, the Post Office charged me 7 pounds 50 pence for completing the transaction.

Either get GB pounds before you leave, or use an ATM card, as others have advised. Travellers' cheques seem to be a thing of the past in the UK.

My husband wanted to get the exchange when we arrive at EDI airport. Well I don't want to wait til the last minute. We were told that over in G.B.

Unless you don't have a ATM card that can access global networks like Cirrus or Plus, please pass on currency exchange and traveller's checks. I don't think I have used either in 15 years. Both are total rip-offs and should be avoided like the plague.

My first stop when landing at any airport following an plane ride that resulting in a new local currency. Same story for cruises - hit the ATM in the first destination country or currency zone.

In addition to the 4 digit pin number, be sure to let your bank know when and where you will be. Smart move each of you take a different atm card. Scotland is beautiful--were there at this time last year. You should be there gfor the Fringe. Have fun. Pat

I beg to differ. I had American Express US dollars travellers' cheques and had the utmost difficulty in cashing them in England last month.

No, "any bank" will not cash them and shops and hotels will not accept them. I was told this is because of the UK government's need to comply with US requirements since 9/11. After 2 fruitless hours trying to cash travellers' cheques at banks in Reading (England) I had to stand in line at the main Post Office and there they compared my TQ with photographs of the ones they are allowed to encash. Not only that, while TQ are supposed to be paid at full face value, the Post Office charged me 7 pounds 50 pence for completing the transaction.

Either get GB pounds before you leave, or use an ATM card, as others have advised. Travellers' cheques seem to be a thing of the past in the UK.

I am surprised at that. I would have thought you would have trouble at shops as they are in dollars, but I would have thought that Bureau d'Exchange and Banks would have taken them. :eek:

That said, ATM's are so common nowadays, we rarely use cheques nowadays. The TQ companies are now pushing a card that you preload with cash as an alternative to TQ's

I am surprised at that. I would have thought you would have trouble at shops as they are in dollars, but I would have thought that Bureau d'Exchange and Banks would have taken them.

No, I was very firmly told (by three different banks) that UK government regulations now did not allow banks to cash travellers' cheques. They will cash them for their own customers, but not for travelers. Apparently, the official explanation is that it is all to do with stopping terrorists and money laundering. :confused:

Since the city I was in is off the usual tourist track, there was no bureau d'exchange in the shopping area.

I wish everywhere had the same policy as the USA re Travellers Cheques. We were very pleasantly surprised on our first US visit about 17 years ago, to find that $$Cheques were accepted as cash EVERYWHERE. :)

We had previously been to places in Europe where you would change travellers cheques (usually at the hotel).

Even then, banks would charge to cash them and it would depend on the Bank and the cheque issuing company on their charging policy.

I think that we live in a different world now and the TX may be on its way out.

No, I was very firmly told (by three different banks) that UK government regulations now did not allow banks to cash travellers' cheques. They will cash them for their own customers, but not for travelers. Apparently, the official explanation is that it is all to do with stopping terrorists and money laundering. :confused:

Since the city I was in is off the usual tourist track, there was no bureau d'exchange in the shopping area.

This is yet another reason to avoid travellers checks - . I'll bet that city had at least several ATM's. I am kind of suspicous of the reason that you were given regarding TC's, but who knows...

Hi There,

If you were into golf, you would know which great US golfer played his last game at St.Andrews, such was the feeling that we have for him over here that the bank print a speical note, from my understanding of US golf nuts, they will pay many times over face value to get there hands on this note.

Flew Delta last year, while would use them again not as good as Virgin . But better than some others out there.

As to all the chat about travellers cheques why expect shops here to accept dollars I would not expect shops in the US to take pounds, if you take travellers cheques in locall money to problems at all.

yours Shogun

Archived