Restaurant recommendations

Jodydavis

Hi folks,

Wondering if folks had any recommendations for particularly good/noteworthy places to grab a bite in any of the following ports: Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria. Not looking for anything fancy - instead, casual places, ideally with some local charm and good seafood (e.g. crab and salmon).

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Sitka: there's not a whole lot, but we loved Victoria's. Seriously, the best meal we had in Alaska. My husband had their halibut fish and chips, which were a bit different because they were pan fried, and said it was delicious.

Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau - near the ship. When you get off head to the left. It's a short walk before you get to the parking structure there aree a few "huts". You can see it on the map here. The first hut is the Glacier Smoothie Soap Shop (where I picked up several bars), the crab place is the last hut. We got the smallest leg but wished I had gotten the next one up. Not that they were small - just very tasty and I could have eaten more. Almost stopped again before we got back on the ship. They have spots to sit at the windows or a picnic table nearby. We several a few of the crew eating there also. Don't be in a hurry though because they aren't.

Cheryl - so glad you stopped at Tracy's Crab Shack and enjoyed it. Now I am really looking forward to eating there next year. Which leg did you get?? Just the Large or the Captains Reserve? Did you try the crab bisque?? YUM, YUM, cant wait!!!

Also, we had fabulous clam chowder at the little shack next to the visitor's information building right on the dock at Ketchikan. The guy makes it himself and it is wonderful and sells out quickly.

We didn't eat in Ketchikan, and in Skagway - our lunch at Caribou Crossing was included in the rail/bus excursion price. In Juneau we went on a whale-watching trip in the morning, then planned to get dropped off at Mendenhall afterwards. We knew there was no food available at Mendenhall, so Capt. Case phoned-in an order for us from Hot Bite at the Auke Bay boat harbor. They have very good burgers and shakes.

Cheryl - so glad you stopped at Tracy's Crab Shack and enjoyed it. Now I am really looking forward to eating there next year. Which leg did you get?? Just the Large or the Captains Reserve? Did you try the crab bisque?? YUM, YUM, cant wait!!!

I got the large but wished I had gotten the bigger one. I say splurge and go BIG :D

Archived