What Kind Of Travel Insurance To Buy, if any?

CruiseFever

If you buy travel insurance, what brand do you buy  

369 members have voted

1. 1. If you buy travel insurance, what brand do you buy

• Princess Travel Care
    • Princess Travel Care Gold
    • Travel Guard
    • Access America
    • HTH Worldwide
    • Travel Insured
    • Travel Safe
    • Do not buy
    • It is provided by my credit card company
    • Other

We buy it. We just figure it into the cost of the cruise. Though we are in excellent health, we have elderly parents who are not. I doubt that anyone who buys cruise insurance expects to use it. Accidents happen, illnesses happen, life happens.

We have purchased both Travelguard and Global Alert policies, never had to use either yet, but knowing Murphy's law, if we didn't purchase insurance one time we would need it. :)

Have bought CSA three times and have made use of it twice, once after 9/11. Had no problems recovering.

Just bought CSA policy ( first time) and was going to ask about anyone who has had to recover from them. So good timing on your post ;-)

Had Travel Safe for a trip to China and had to use it...they were very, very prompt in paying after I received my own insurance company's EOB.

BUT...I've spent a lot of time reading the fine print of insurance policies yesterday and today (http://www.insuremytrip.com), and can't emphasize enough the need to not just use your TA's or a friend's recommendation, but to decide based on your own needs, which may change from cruise to cruise. For example, as happy as I was with Travel Safe, I will be using Princess Care Gold for our next cruise, due to the application of 90% of cancellation charges to a future cruise.

I always use Travelguard's Cruise, Tour and Travel policy, as they are the primary coverer, rather than secondary, which may become an important issue if your local health plan has a high co-pay or only a percentage of coverage. For example, my BC/BS policy here is great, but only covers me 50% outside the country.

I have two cruises booked for 2005 that include flights, pre-cruise stay and post-cruise stay and I purchased Travelex TraveLite for each. Since that's a long way off I feel more confident with the insurance in case something comes up. I picked Travelex over TravelGuard because their TraveLite policy is a primary policy not secondary like TravelGuard's ProtectAssist. If I am purchasing insurance I want to know that they are the primary plan. I do not want to have to dip into my personal medical policy to pay claims first.

Just my own feelings on the subject!

I have always purchased insurance (Travelex TraveLite and Access America,) but have thankfully never filed a claim. It's a gamble of odds, I know. And just like visiting Fabulous Las Vegas, one should never gamble more than he can afford to lose. The cost of a cruise (and getting to it) is more than I can afford to throw away if an aging parent dies, or my DW or I become ill, etc. The dollars spent are few compared with the other costs, and the peace of mind is worth it IMO.

I would not cruise without insurance. It is too big of an investment to not insure. Knowing that Murphy's Law exists, if I didn't have it, I would worry.

The brand of insurance I buy varies with the cruise. If I am driving to the port of embarkation, I like Travelex because their trip cancellation coverage includes a: "traffic accident directly involving either you or your traveling companion, substantiated by a police report, while en route to a scheduled departure point." I also like them because they are primary insurance and not secondary coverage for medical claims.

Other times, I have purchased Travel Guard.

Thankfully, I have not had to file any claims on any of my policies. (I pray that will continue!)

We always get TravelGuard through our TA. I had to use it 3 years ago when a planned cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas turned into the Galllbladder of the Seas and we had to cancel the cruise 3 days prior to sailing. TravelGuard handled the claim very professionally.

kckitties

We always get the insurance - We're using Travel Guard now - We used to use AAA's insurance - We had to use it once due to a death in the family -

The AAA isurance covered our cruise, flight home for my husband, hotel, food, gas and everything else for the rest of the family who drove home!

We didn't use to purchase the insurance when we first started cruising, but there are just too many "IFS" now a days. If you have been reading the stories on some of these boards about things that happened to them on a cruise you just wouldnt leave home without it. Basically, it is a bargain considering beingt airlifted from a ship costs $25,000. +

Don't buy it, the incidence of use for our demographic (40's able-bodied) is well below .25% and the cost is 3-5% simply bad math. For us.

I'm very interested to learn where you got this number. It seems too small no matter what the age group. For all the things the insurance covers, seems like claims would be higher. Coverage includes illness and accidents (to you or your family members, both traveling & non-traveling), theft, loss of luggage, travel delays, loss of job, etc. The vast majority of things that are covered happen no more frequently to older folks than younger.

Personally, I never travel out of the country without it. By the way, I am one of the below .25% of folks in their 40's & able-bodied who has filed a claim. I was the victim of a theft during my vacation, and I was reimbursed for my loss with no hassle.

Travelex...always.

It covers you in the event your childrens' caregiver suddenly can't babysit.

That's important for us because it's almost impossible to find a substitute babysitter for 2 kids when you're going to be gone for 2-3 weeks.

Archived