Pacific Star

rockie

I just heard a news report on the radio that it was cancelled due to a sewage problem.

The sewage problem / smell is a familiar story though from what i've heard on these boards.

Makes sense Jo. But why would they need to put the ship into dry dock to fix either the ventilation ducts or the sewage disposal system?

I don't know where your radio station picked this story up, the PO website is sticking to the "ventilation duct" story from the press release earlier this morning.

When we were on Star at the beginning of July there was a sewage problem. It seems to be like an aircraft vacuum system and there was often a significant delay (up to 15 minutes) from when you press the flush button until it was activated. There was also a prevalent sewage odour in the bathroom.

Did they buy it, or were they paid to take it?

Bet the Consortium paid them heaps to take her away:rolleyes: can you imagine if they served her up to the American market as she is today......:eek:....As she is a Carnival family heirloom they should take her back and have her bronzed and mounted

cheers shiona:D

I was wondering about the drydock at Devonport as well,but I dont think that is big enough.To repair Sky,they had to surround her with a boom and then pump all the water out.That was at the wharf at Devonport.

Just watching her sail past Orewa now.

Very strange,she appears to have done a couple of zig zags.

Usually by the time the ships get up here they just head out in a straight line.

The reason they are zig zagging my dear cc's is for the benefit of the crew on board. They are merely trying to escape the foul smell, I guess they will be zig zagging all the way here :p

Gee, My cruise isnt for another 1 month 27 days, but Im starting to think if I should cancell and maybe fly to Sydney and sail on the Sun. I would be SO SAD and DISSAPOINTED if this bad luck happened on my 1st cruise. Devistated actually. I have wanted to do this for so longicon9.gificon9.gificon9.gif

Gee, My cruise isnt for another 1 month 27 days, but Im starting to think if I should cancell and maybe fly to Sydney and sail on the Sun. I would be SO SAD and DISSAPOINTED if this bad luck happened on my 1st cruise. Devistated actually. I have wanted to do this for so longicon9.gificon9.gificon9.gif

I agree ! :confused: We were just looking at booking shore tours for our cruise on the Star in only 23 days !! :mad: I hope they get it fixed and back in action SOON

I feel sorry for Frog and other Pac Star Cruisers. Why have Carnival (who own P&O) allowed this ship to become so unseaworthy..they should have sold it a couple of years ago when it was nearly stuffed, now it is.

Wonder how long Pacific Dawn will take to reach such a condition, couple of years I reckon.

Cheers.:cool:

I haven't seen any mention of the ship being unseaworthy - every ship, from the QM2 down has mechanical breakdowns that cause cruise cancellations from time to time, as do buses, train, planes, cars or anything mechanical.

From what's been posted, it sounds like the cancellation of this cruise has nothing to sea worthiness but with the potential discomfort of the passengers. I'm sure the people complaining about cancelling the cruise would also be complaining if they were in the middle of the South Pacific with a non functional sewerage system.

Umm... the sun went down??? It is 7.16pm (at the time the webshot was taken) in the part of the world she's in (GMT+12).

woops...oh I remember now, rises in the east sets in the west :p I'm not going to say I've got blonde roots in case I upset all the blondes out there !! Can't use that excuse anyway....redhead through and through :o

I haven't seen any mention of the ship being unseaworthy - every ship, from the QM2 down has mechanical breakdowns that cause cruise cancellations from time to time, as do buses, train, planes, cars or anything mechanical.

From what's been posted, it sounds like the cancellation of this cruise has nothing to sea worthiness but with the potential discomfort of the passengers. I'm sure the people complaining about cancelling the cruise would also be complaining if they were in the middle of the South Pacific with a non functional sewerage system.

ya gotta love it when someone brings a really commonsense approach to the table !

I agree, I know that no company risks major $$$ losses and potentially bad PR without a very, very good reason.

I do hope that they get it all fixed up asap so no more passengers are disappointed. (having first hand experience of a cruise being cancelled on me back in the days of the ill fated Pac Sky I understand how terrible this feels.)

My fingers are crossed for you all...and me too!

Sorry to the cruisers that missed out on the trip. I don't wish to make light of it, but I have been trying to finish a timelapse video of the Star which was started after the storm.

I had hoped for a big ending with the Star heading to Brisbane a couple of days ago, then yesterday, then this morning.

Pity I couldn't end with a happy ending yet.

Cheers

Bet the Consortium paid them heaps to take her away:rolleyes: can you imagine if they served her up to the American market as she is today......:eek:....

Thing is, she came from the Med before we got her. Usually stuff that sails from there ends up on the shores of Alang soon after :rolleyes:

As she is a Carnival family heirloom they should take her back and have her bronzed and mounted

Well she was the first Carnival new build. Perhaps they would take her and turn her into a floating hotel ala the Queen Mary :D

Pullmantur (the line that has purchased Star) is actually a subsidiary of Carnival's arch-rival Royal Caribbean. What they saw in the ship is anyone's guess, maybe the need an artifical reef in Spain:D .

I hope Carnival wake up to the damage they are doing to their brand with these old ships. They cannot afford to hold onto Sun until it also starts having the age hassles that have afflicted Sky and Star. Us Aussies would love some newbuilds but if we can't have them, can we at least get some newer replacements from other arms of the Carnival fleet, anything built before 1992 is already too old!!!!

Thing is, she came from the Med before we got her. Usually stuff that sails from there ends up on the shores of Alang soon after :rolleyes:

Well she was the first Carnival new build. Perhaps they would take her and turn her into a floating hotel ala the Queen Mary :D

Hey Sam....be nice...Costa when they were Costa looked after their ships.. I got to beg to differ about the ships in the Med though, yes you do still have a few traders in the cheap and cheerful one foot from the knackery 2 and 3* market but not as many as there used to be....We have been involved in the 5*+ European cruise market for many years and it is a massive multi billion dollar market where higher standards of cruising are expected and have been met...Alang is a long long way off for the majority of ships cruising there ....Loved the idea about the floating hotel..... did you hear about the $10million "Adopt a Rivet" preservation scheme for the Queen Mary... perhaps we should start the same here for the Star... cheers shiona

Archived