Sightseeing in Sydney

Curiosity compels me to ask. Why the disclaimer regarding Bondi Beach?

Bondi Beach is undoubtedly the most famous beach in Sydney. So many people feel they must go there, otherwise they'll have "missed" a quintessential Sydney sight.

But if you get there, the reality can be pretty disappointing. It's not that pretty (it's very urban). It can be very crowded, noisy and (unless you like a "party atmosphere") unrelaxing. The beach can get very dirty, even now that the sewage outfall has been moved and the raw sewage problem has been pretty much eliminated.

There are many beaches in the Sydney area which are more attractive and no more difficult to get to than Bondi beach. Manly is one of them, and has the benefit of being at the far end (from Circular Quay) of one of the most attractive ferry rides in the whole world.

Hi All,

Can anybody suggest what my hubby and I can do in Sydney, we have from 2pm sun until boarding the next day at approximately 12pm.

We dont really want to do a harbour cruise since we will be on a ship for the next 2 weeks.

We have lots of ideas but limited time puts constraints on these.

Thanks in advance,

Michele:)

I guess the question is do you want to try and see a little of everything or take the time to enjoy the finer things.

Here are a couple of sites that might help if you still have any questions

Official state tourism board site http://www.visitnsw.com/GIP.aspx?pn=sydney

International travel website with information provided by travellers and locals http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Australia_and_Oceania/Australia/State_of_New_South_Wales/Sydney-1869538/TravelGuide-Sydney.html

I hope this helps,

Terry

Thanks for all the Bondi information. We, after our 12 day cruise would be looking for someplace to just relax and soak in a few rays before the grueling trek home. Manley might be the beach for us. I don't think that shopping, cafes, etc. will be on our agenda by then. Got any other "quiet" beach suggestions?

Wait up, how does a Kiwi know so much about the Bondi Explorer?CheersGeoff

One of our cruises finished in Sydney and the earliest plane we could get was late afternoon.We stumbled across the Explorer at Circular Quay and took a quick spin to fill in time.It was quite good really.Next time if we have a bit more time we might even get off the bus.A few stops didn't look too bad.

You cannot compare Melbourne Zoo to Taronga as Taronga is really an old fashioned zoo with wonderful views, probably the best in the world but it is on a small amount of land and there is not a lot that can be improved there.

Melbourne Zoo's real name is the Zoological Gardens and it is set on 55 acres of land. The animals are not in cages but are in areas that resemble their native lands and it is a lovely place to visit with the gardens and the animals. In fact, you can sleep overnight there and experience all the weird sounds of the jungle. You also do get great views of our city from there.

Here is a link: http://www.zoo.org.au/melbourne/

The zoo is only 4kms from the city centre and is worthy of a visit.

Jennie

Hi AussieGal

That was an easy catch:D

I agree Melbourne Zoo is a beauty as well. But those views from Taronga.... Yes, it's old, but the history of the zoo is also part of it's charm - the floral sun dial, old elephant house that they've preserved

Here's a picture of QE2 (when the two Queens met) in Sydney earlier in the year taken from the zoo.

Beaches, I can take them or leave them. The most beautiful beaches Sydney has to offer are down in Royal National Park and require quite a hike to get to. Bondi is iconic and really isn't that bad at all. It's no different to any of the over-rated 'must see' spots around the world. Now there's a thread - over-rated must sees:D . Surfers Paradise beach is only an hour away and I couldn't think of any beach I'd be less likely to visit. South Beach was way more fun!

1967715229_viewfromthezoo.jpg.ece3f1f72af4ee98f7e45de8e5ab470e.jpg

Newfarmers,

I am an easy target I must admit!

Actually I love Balmoral Beach in Sydney which is a harbour beach that is hidden away. I love the Bathers Pavilion for a meal and also I have enjoyed eating at Awaba and the Watermark.

Another of my favourite beaches in Sydney is Freshwater which is just north of Manly. Our grandson was a nipper there when they lived in Sydney and I loved going to watch him on a Sunday morning.

Manly is still a beautiful beach. We were there a week ago for old times sake. We always like to catch the ferry and see how rough it can get as it passes the heads. Even though it was winter and quite cool there were quite a few in swimming.

Jennie

Freshwater!!! Aaaahhh memories! We used to go there every Sunday when I was a teenager. it had another name too but I can't remember it.

I agree Manly is a great day out and getting there is half the fun.:D

One of our cruises finished in Sydney and the earliest plane we could get was late afternoon.We stumbled across the Explorer at Circular Quay and took a quick spin to fill in time.It was quite good really.Next time if we have a bit more time we might even get off the bus.A few stops didn't look too bad.

Was just a little dig to the kiwis. Bondi is reputed to be home to many expat New Zealanders.

Cheers

Actually I love Balmoral Beach in Sydney which is a harbour beach that is hidden away. I love the Bathers Pavilion for a meal and also I have enjoyed eating at Awaba and the Watermark.
Balmoral is a great beach. It's a pity it's rather more difficult for a visitor to get to.

But then, I suppose that keeps the numbers down ... :D

Was just a little dig to the kiwis. Bondi is reputed to be home to many expat New Zealanders.

Cheers

I was told by a kiwi colleague that it's no longer Australia, but New Zealands "West Island"

Archived