Cable on Ships

NishaPatricia

There is no HBO, CineMax. Showtime, or Starz. The "local" channels for the news and network shows are out of Denver Colorado. I think there is CNN. There will be 2 channels that the ship will run movies that have been recently released to DVD. They run them over and over and over again and change the movies about every 2 days.

If it is something on a pay network, no... (HBO, SHO, etc...)

If it is something on the major cable netwroks (USA, TNT, FX, etc... ) NO... (the closest you get is TNTLA (latin) which shows last year's Closer epsiodes, last year's Battlestar Galactica, etc..)

If it is a movie premiering on a broadcast network (CBS, ABC, etc..) Yes..

Like somebody said, you get the Denver network feeds at mountain time, NOT ship time.

You should just set your TIVO to record it while you are gone and watch it at your leisure, upon your return.

Bill

I was wondering the same thing! I wouldn't want to spend $$s renting a DVD now, just to find out we could catch it for free during our cruise in a couple of weeks.

Anyone know what's currently showing?

Yes, they string a 1000 mile long cable behind the ship as it cruises the Caribbean ;)

Seriously, they do have SOME channels on TV, but they are limited and via satellite.

Todd Wittmer, the CD on the Liberty listed a question like that as among his ten dumbest. Someone asked him if the ship gets its power through generators. He joked that they plug the ship in at Ft Lauderdale and just run on a power line. :D

As I remember it, all the stations were Denver based. So if you want to watch a network show, they're 2 hours late. There are few other channels and they show the same movies that they show in the Seaside Theatre. It's better than nothing. We were on an RCCL ship and there was no way of even getting a sports score. ESPN international only showed soccer. So the Denver network affiliates are a big step up from that. Of course, network sports are shown live. So, if you go during football season, you're all set. :cool:

Anyone know what's currently showing?

I got off the Celebration on Monday, Aug. 6. The movies were Wild Hogs, Bridge to Teribithia and 2 others I can't seem to remember. One of them was something like Say It Isn't So. There is no music on the tv. The only background music is what they play on the tv guide-type station.

As I remember it, all the stations were Denver based. So if you want to watch a network show, they're 2 hours late. There are few other channels and they show the same movies that they show in the Seaside Theatre. It's better than nothing. We were on an RCCL ship and there was no way of even getting a sports score. ESPN international only showed soccer. So the Denver network affiliates are a big step up from that. Of course, network sports are shown live. So, if you go during football season, you're all set. :cool:

At least we got FOX and CNBC on RoyalCaribbean. I about felt like I was going into news withdrawals on Carnival, they only got CNN International or some such if I remember.

I watch a lot of news at home and this was the one thing that I really missed was feeling in touch.

I got off the Celebration on Monday, Aug. 6. The movies were Wild Hogs, Bridge to Teribithia and 2 others I can't seem to remember. One of them was something like Say It Isn't So.

Thanks! Wild Hogs is one we've been wanting to see, so maybe it'll be playing on our cruise and we can catch it during some down time.

:)

At least we got FOX and CNBC on RoyalCaribbean. I about felt like I was going into news withdrawals on Carnival, they only got CNN International or some such if I remember.

I watch a lot of news at home and this was the one thing that I really missed was feeling in touch.

Carnival has the network television out of Denver. So you could have watched ABC, NBC, or CBS national news. I guess if you're cruising outside of this continent that may not be the case. But I think Carnival's providing all of the US networks makes its offerings superior to RCCL's.

Thanks! Wild Hogs is one we've been wanting to see, so maybe it'll be playing on our cruise and we can catch it during some down time.

:)

If you look at the PPV channels on your cable or satelitte, the movies are usually ones that either have just premiered on PPV or will be on PPV in the next week or two.

On our cruise the first week of February, I caught the football movie "Invincible" in like 5 different, out of order pieces.

It premiered on DirecTV PPV the week after we got home.

The other movies on the ship had just premiered on PPV the week we left.

So check your PPV right before you leave and that should give you an idea of what to expect.

Bill

Archived