Navigator Discovery Collection 2008

kbella

bbuchanan,

Funny you would say First Luggage charges a higher rate as a poster on another board just had luggage shipped to FL from Hong Kong at the rate of $268. vs. IPS's cost of $775. Guess I will have to look into the NC to Athens rates to compare.

Crys and I would love to see the Taj Mahal too, but think the time is limiting to see it like we want. We have booked the overnights in Cairo, Petra and a safari between the Richards Bay to Cape Town ports. This will be our first safari and are very excited.

Hi bb,

Glad you found the thread. As far as safaris go, my TA booked us a safari at a much lower cost than the Regent trips. As far as theTaj Mahal trip in Mumbai, the time is limited in port for travel to and from port to airport, then airport to Agra to give the Taj Mahal justice. Sorry to disappoint you. You may find something Mumbai-Agra-Cochin though. That would give you 3.5 days to see the Taj.....

bbuchanan,

Funny you would say First Luggage charges a higher rate as a poster on another board just had luggage shipped to FL from Hong Kong at the rate of $268. vs. IPS's cost of $775. Guess I will have to look into the NC to Athens rates to compare.

Oops, you were right. When I initially checked their site, I mised the "Kg". So, it is $289 for 66lbs rather than 30lbs. Makes a significant difference. Thanks for making me go back to look a second time.

bb,

The overland from Mumbai to the Taj Mahal is very hard to find on the RSSC site. On the itinerary on the website, you have to select Mumbai among the ports, then click on any one of the excursions that show up underneath. Then, click on the dropdown menu on the top of the page that opens up, and the first excursion on THAT list is "The Taj & The Amarvilas". All very weird.

Our TA priced it for us, and it was quite pricey. Plus, as Beth indicates, the timing means that you're mostly just schlepping to Agra and back, with little time to explore. And, you miss most of Mumbai.

Thanks, finally found it and booked the trip. In a perfect world we would love an extended visit however this has been on my wish list (along with Africa and Cape Town) for a number of years. DH and I, unfortunately, are not getting any younger, so don't want to let this opportunity slip by. I understand it is exquisite!

I cannot recall the last time I was so enthusiastic about an upcoming cruise. I've often looked at the WC but always received a cool reception. (Like, you'll have to find someone else to go with. What was my first clue??) This trip sparked his interest.........and I wasn't about to lose the window of opportunity!

Thanks for all the notes from you and Beth, look forward to visiting back here from time to time.

Bonnie

Bonnie,

We did the RSSC Agra overnight excursion last year. While, of course, more time would have been great to see more of the area, we were still please with our sunset and sunrise visits to the Taj Mahal. The local operators did not allow us any choices for the next mornings optional tours though. Looking at guide books we did not see how they would have time to go to Fatepur Sikri and the local guides told us it was not really an option. The hotel was amazing and beautiful and the meals there were outstanding if you like Indian food. At breakfast, make sure to order something Indian off the menu. There is a hot and cold buffet up and my husband thought that was our included breakfast and left me at the table to order beverages. A waitperson came to the table and gave me 2 menus and took our drink orders. When he brought the drinks he asked what we wanted to order off the menu! I told him we were here with the group with the included breakfast and he said, yes we could have the buffet as well as order 1 item from the menu. So, I asked what 2 things he would recommend as good Indian dishes and per his recommendation ordered a masala dosa and idlis. The dosa was the best! Don't miss it. If you don't like it you can still have yogurt or eggs from the buffet! I don't think you will regret this excursion or missing Mumbai either. Here is a link to the section of our blog on the Taj visit. Enjoy, Debbie

http://journals.aol.com/dfriia/WestwardWorldCircumnavigation200/entries/2006/03/23/day-83---tuesday-march-21-mumbai-india-trip-to-agra-to-see-taj-mahal/290

Archived