Navigator Discovery Collection 2008

kbella

I am looking at segment #4,Mumbai to Cape Town, November 2008 on the Navigator. Has anyone sailed this particular segment before? Has RSSC offered this intinerary in the past? All of the segments look very interesting but the 20 day sail is about as long as we can be away next year. Is anyone else looking into this or has an interest?

Looking forward to any input you might offer.

Regent just did basically this same itinerary in reverse order on Voyager's 2007 world cruise. We were scheduled for 2008 Navigator from Mumbai-FLL, but cancelled due to the change in smoking policy. Should be a great cruise.

Thanks for the input..I think I will go ahead with the booking and maybe talk Mr.kbella into getting more time off for a post-cruise stay in Cape Town.We were there last year following safaris in Botswana and I could not get my fill of the Cape Town area.

We are booked on this cruise sector, it's looks great. We would like to spend some time in Capetown at the end of the cruise and possible see some game. Has anyone got any ideas for us. Also any suggestions for a pre cruise stay in Mumbai. Thanks for any help.

For pre-cruise in Mumbai I would recommend going to Agra for the Taj Mahal. Regent should have a package. We did it mid-cruise going from Singapore-Rome on Voyager in 2005. Well worth the expense. Post cruise in Cape Town you might want to just spend it around the area. There's a lot to do and see. It's the best kept secret in the world; our favorite city. For a place to stay I would recommend The Bishops Court in Constantia. You can find it online at http://www.thebishopscourt.com. Really a nice place with top drawer treatment. We stay with friends, but we have friends who have stayed at Bishops Court and they loved it. We have toured the facility. If you're set on a Safari, then I would recommend that you contact B&K. Ngaire is a real expert on putting together safaris. You can e-mail me at dougburns1@cox.net if you want further info on the Cape Town area and safaris.

I agree with Doug. Leave Mumbai and fly to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. It really is something everyone should try and see once! I personally don't like Mumbai at all so missing that and flying to Agra is a no brainer.

Also agree about Cape Town. We LOVE LOVE LOVE Cape Town but while on the WC we left the ship and went on a 2 night safari that was the highlight of the whole WC. Ngaire is an expert on Africa and set it up for a group of about 25 of us using 2 camps next door to each other. We then rejoined the Voyager in Richards Bay. Our Safari experience was absolutely magical!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all: We are also booked on this Nov. '08 segment. We have been on land safaris in Kenya and Tanzania (over 20 yrs ago) and I am wondering if land safaris are necessary to see game this time. Will we not have ample opportunities to see game during day excursions ?? Or do you think it is best to plan some time overnight on land ??

Our experience 20 years ago was very memorable and we are looking forward to another great adventure, but need it to be easier this time around (age, etc.)...hence cruising.

It is a long way off...and we have two cruises before then...but still fun to plan ahead.

Cathe & Bill

Prescott, AZ

I am the "friend of crys's" and booked Athens - FLL. We booked a 3 day safari from Richard's Bay, SA with our TA.

Looking forward to Cape Town with a little over 2 days there. Will most likely hit the ground running and enjoying all CT has to offer in two days.

Sir Cruisealot, I'm not sure how safaris were 20 years ago, but with luxury lodges, things may have changed! I also have two cruises booked prior to this Oct-Dec cruise.

NCCruzQueen:

We had luxury accomodations then (Amboseli, Treetops, Mt. Kenya Safari Club, etc.)...but the daily activities were , albeit exciting, strenuous. Moving around on the Navigator will be just right.

My main concern is...will we see much game during our daily excursions off the ship ? I am hoping we will.

We have not yet planned our return flight. May just have to plan some time in Cape Town...sounds wonderful.

Cathe

NCCruzQueen: My main concern is...will we see much game during our daily excursions off the ship ? I am hoping we will. Cathe

Hi Cathe, crys and I were concerned we wouldn't see much game on the ship excursions. That's why we booked our safari, but this is our first time in Africa.

Cape Town does look exciting. Will try to pack a lot in 2 days.

Beth

Cathe,

If you do not want to leave the ship to do overnight safaris, I think that you can still see game enough to satisfy you on daylong shore excursions. Looking at your itinerary online I see a day trip to Tsavo East from Mombasa and Hluhluwe Umfolozi from Richard's Bay. I visited both from a cruise ship in 2001 and saw plenty of game, though never big cats. But, saw rhino, elephants, hippos, crocs, Cape Buffalo, giraffes, loads of birds and antelope types. It looks like there is another game park now accessible from Richard's Bay that offers plenty of game as well. Do make plans to spend some time in Cape Town it is a wonderful place and make time for the outlying areas like the Winelands and Cape Point. Make a special effort to go to Boulder's Beach in Simonstown for the penguins. Yes, I think you will plenty of animal viewing opportunities without doing overnight safaris if that is your preference.

Enjoy, Debbie

Looking at your itinerary online I see a day trip to Tsavo East from Mombasa and Hluhluwe Umfolozi from Richard's Bay. I visited both from a cruise ship in 2001 and saw plenty of game, though never big cats. But, saw rhino, elephants, hippos, crocs, Cape Buffalo, giraffes, loads of birds and antelope types. Enjoy, Debbie

That's good to hear, Debbie. Glad to know I may see some game from Mombasa as a preview to my safari in SA.

Beth,

As I recall we saw tons of zebras and at least one elephant from the van on the "highway" to the park. The drive out of Mombasa and on the highway is an experience in its own right. I remember holes in the highway so big that we had to drive around them, off-road! This is a major trans-continental highway, too! Traffic stopped for animals in the road, etc. It was really amazing. I think you will definitely be primed for your safari!

Debbie

Beth, no doubt, you and Crystal will not regret getting off the ship and going a safari independently through or with Ngaire. There is something different about the total experience of a private game reserve mini-visit off the ship rather than a day trip. You have to be there to know it. Money well spent!

That said, I'm sure the ship's day excursions will fulfill the needs of others who have other priorities.

Thanks for the good news, Debbie. Having been on safari before, I know it is the best way to view the wildlife, but it is good to hear we will have opportunities off the ship. Our friends from Northern England are joining us on this cruise and it will be their first trip to Africa. Glad to know they will not be disappointed....not that I thought they would, but seeing the herds of animals is really something.

Beth, I too was not overly excited about going to Africa some 20 years ago...but once there...it turned out to be one of my lifelong travel highlights. Do remember not to drink the water !! LOL

Penguins...how fun. Looking forward to that.

Thanks again Debbie, for the valuable info.

Cathe

Cathe,

Let me be clearer, at the parks where you will have day excursions, you will not see "herds of animals" but you will see several animals of several species. I think the only place we saw what could properly be termed a "herd" was 20-30 elephants in Tsavo West and you will be going to Tsavo East. We did not see anything that would constitute a herd in Hluhluwe Umfolozi either. Though we saw lots of animals in lots of varieties. It is nothing like the vast prairies of Kenya and the migration of the wildebeestes or anything remotely like that. The day trip ship's excursions are a good introduction to Africa and photo safaris.

Debbie

Cathe,

Penguins!

Here is a link to a photo from our day there in 2001.

http://journals.aol.com/dfriia/WestwardWorldCircumnavigation200/entries/2005/01/26/our-favorite-day-of-2001s-eastward-circumnavigation/113

You can actually go down onto the beach in the distance behind me and swim among the penguins in a protected shallow area behind the boulders. We did not know that going, or I am not sure if we would have brought swimsuits. There are restrooms and changing facilities there inside that park. I don't remember what the admission was there, but it was not too expensive. We took a taxi out there and he waited in the parking lot for us for about 45minutes as we walked all the boardwalks and out onto the beach and on the boulders. Hopefully, you'll get to visit too.

Debbie

Actually, I'm not 100% convinced that there's an excursion to Tsavo East. It's certainly listed under Mombasa, but the description is for the world cruise. Now I know there's several excursions listed that are "borrowed" from the WC, but this one says that it's included for WC pax. However, the main page for the Discovery Cruise shows the inclusion for this segment being an activity in Cochin. So it makes me wonder not just if it will be included, but whether it will be offered at all.

• 1 month later...

Appears we waited too long to make our decision to book the 71 night voyage from Athens to Ft. Lauderdale next October. Able to book a category H and waitlist a balcony in either D, E or F. Very excited about this trip with Mumbai and Cape Town. Anyone out there sailing as well? We've sailed the Voyager; the Navigator will be new territory for us.

For those who have sailed extended/world/grand voyages, a question. What is the one (or more) thing or things you took and did not need? Conversely, what is the one or more thing or things you did not include and would now take?

This voyage is not offering complimentary luggage service as a perk and in considering all the options, believe just paying for an extra bag is more cost effective than over $700 for luggage service Internationally.

Hi bbuchanan,

An occasional posted here, crys, and I are booked on the DC cruise from Athens to FLL. So far there are about 8 of us from here and other boards. If you read back in the threads, you can find other postings on this cruise. We have an E suite right now, but booked in August.

I have heard that First Luggage is the least expensive shipping firm found so far. http://www.firstluggage.com/ 800-224-5781 I have heard good reports about them also.

I am also waiting for info on those not-to-be-missed packing items. Looking forward to sharing more info with you on this cruise.

One year from today.... at sea between Mumbai and Cochin!!

I will be anxious to see if we are able to get a balcony and quite surprised to find how full this voyage is already. I suspect if we do not get a balcony cabin, we would still go for the itinerary alone. The Taj Mahal has been on my "to see" list for some time.

Really looking forward to meeting others. Thanks for the luggage info. Unfortunately they are higher than http://www.intlportservices.com/. IPS is the company Regent uses for world and grand voyages. Am going to keep looking though.

We booked a 3 day safari from Richard's Bay, SA with our TA.

Found this! Thank you!

I am also considering all the Safari overland options; may never get another chance. Looking, as well, at the overland Amazon trip. I do not see an overnight for Mombasa to Agra though.

We are so excited for this trip but hate to wish a year of my life away any faster than it will pass on it's own..........:)

Archived