Prinsendam Cruise Cancelled

Krazy Kruizers

After much talk and consultation with our doctor, we have had to cancel our Amazon cruise.

Our Yellow Fever shots are up in January 2008. Our health clinic advised us that people over 60 have a greater risk of complications (which is 1 out of 40,000 people can cause organ failure) from the shot than younger people. Our doctor is concerned because in June we got Typhoid Fever shots and I became very ill within 48 hours and suffered a minor stroke. So we feel that we should not take the risk and therefore have cancelled the cruise.

At this time we have not decided what to do about cruises for 2008. This also means that we will not be able to do full transit cruises through the Panama Canal because most of them stop at Nicaragua which also requires that you have proof of Yellow Fever Shots.

After much talk and consultation with our doctor, we have had to cancel our Amazon cruise.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Krazy! It's always a disappointment to have to change plans - but when it comes to health issues, one really has little choice. You've definitely made the right decision. Get out your 2008 Cruise Planner and you'll soon be smiling while you look for that replacement cruise. It's chock full of great itineraries, and I know you'll have fun making a new choice.

Chin Up!

I know this development is terribly disappointing. But I'm sure it's for the best.

That being said, have you considered consulting your personal physician for a second opinion? Maybe the health clinic is overstating the risk. (But with your history, I can certainly understand your not wanting to take any degree of risk.)

Best wishes.

KK,

I know from personal experience that sometimes taking medications and vaccines can do more harm than good. It is a risk benefit ratio.

I would have done the same thing if I had been given the information about the Yellow Fever shots.

I had a minor stroke too, and it was medication related.

I did not realize that most canal transits involved a stop in Nicaragua.

Please get out your cruise planner and find a trip that will make your heart sing. There are many really neat itineraries in 2008.

I hope you didn't have any financial loss due to your canceling.

Thanks for sharing this very important information with us as many of us are in the same "boat", no pun intended.

GN

KK, you may have already considered this but you can get an exemption letter from your doctor indicating that for medical reasons you cannot receive the vacinnation. However, you then need to determine if Brazil in this case or Nicarauga accept exemption letters. This apparently needs to be done through a consulate or embassy. This is info from the CDC.

wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh4-YellowFever.aspx This page may not be clickable due to the wwwn. prefix but you need that to get to the page. You may have to get their the long way. Good luck.:) :) :D :D

I'm so sorry to hear about the cancelation of your cruise. I agree with your doctor though that your health and well being come first. I'm sure that a replacement cruise will show up.

Our Yellow Fever shots are up in January 2008. Our health clinic advised us that people over 60 have a greater risk of complications (which is 1 out of 40,000 people can cause organ failure) from the shot than younger people. Our doctor is concerned because in June we got Typhoid Fever shots and I became very ill within 48 hours and suffered a minor stroke. So we feel that we should not take the risk and therefore have cancelled the cruise.

At this time we have not decided what to do about cruises for 2008. This also means that we will not be able to do full transit cruises through the Panama Canal because most of them stop at Nicaragua which also requires that you have proof of Yellow Fever Shots.

Sorry to hear that but ones health comes first. Is there a way to do the transit and just not get off of the ship in Nicaragua? Also, don't a lot of transits stop in Costa Rica instead? Just wondering if there is an alternative because the cruise ships must deal all the time with older passengers who want to cruise but some of these shots may be risky. Is this a requirement to board the ship?

So sorry that you had to cancel -- having recently canceled a Honolulu to Tahiti cruise due to health issues I entirely understand -- health concerns really have to come first. I also entirely understand about the Yellow Fever vaccine. When I took it last fall I had some issues with it (though luckily they were minor) -- I would not wish to risk it either with your history. I am also not certain that I would be happy with a doctor's exemption on a cruise like the one through the Amazon.

There are many other wonderful places to cruise and thanks for the heads up on the Panama Canal transit as that is one of my goal having never done it -- now I know that I must plan it before my Yellow Fever shot expires.

KK, I too am sorry to hear this, I know you were so looking forward to sailing the Prinsendam. You may have to look at doing some of the new Eurodam cruises or maybe even her crossing would be nice. It is definitely better to not risk your health with needing to have those shots for a cruise.

I'm sorry you had to cancel, but its better to be safe. I got a hard lesson in learning that I needed to listen to doctors a couple of years ago. There are lots of other options out there, I hope you find something that is to your liking.

KK... I am so very sorry to hear this. You must be very disappointed but I so agree you have made the right choice. Hopefully, your TA will get good news for you but if it remains the cruise is out of the question, please find another that sounds exciting to you. Maybe the cruise Ruth is currently on? It sounds wonderful.

Health is everything and your decision to take no risk is the only one you could make. Good luck. I really mean it. I truly hope you find another cruise to be thrilled about.

Very sorry that you have to cancel your cruise. Really appreciate the information you have provided. We were wavering about going up the Amazon at some point and knew we would need the Yellow Fever shots. My DH has a minor heart condition and now for sure we will never risk getting those shots. Lots of other wonderful places for us to cruise.

Your warning may save others alot of heartache.

Thank you and I hope you find the perfect solution for your next cruise.

Kathy

KK- So sorry to hear this, as I know you've been looking forward to the Amazon adventure, I know you booked it soon after it opened for booking.

I too would have made the same decision. As much as I want to travel, I wouldn't be inclined to risking it either.

I don't understand why though they need a yellow fever card if you were to choose to stay on the ship and not go ashore in Nicaragua?

KK-I'm very sorry to hear this. I can only imagine how disappointed you are, but it sounds like the right decision. Would you consider joining myself and some other wonderful CC'ers on the Prisendam Oct 30, 2008 for 24 days? It is a TA. We depart from Greece, and are visiting 14 wonderful ports. The cruise ends in Ft. Lauderdale. It is very reasonably priced, imo, for the Prisendam, and for a cruise of this length.

Note to GN: I am still hoping you and dh will join this cruise :). We really have a nice roll call going. It's small, but the people are lovely.

Marie

Last fall we were on a cruise that included two different countries that required proof of the Yellow Fever shot. A friend on board could not get a Yellow Fever shot for medical reasons. She had official documentation to that effect and was able to cruise, get off the ship and everything. She said that there were only certain places one could get the appropriate documentation and that her physician referred her. It meant going to a specific clinic in major city near where she lived, but it went smoothly and her paperwork was accepted.

I have no idea what medical reasons precluded her getting the shots. While she did not say the specific reasons, I suspect it was a very specific reason and not a risk ratio reason, so her case might be different. However, if you really want the cruise you might look into it. You have time.

Last fall we were on a cruise that included two different countries that required proof of the Yellow Fever shot. A friend on board could not get a Yellow Fever shot for medical reasons. She had official documentation to that effect and was able to cruise, get off the ship and everything. She said that there were only certain places one could get the appropriate documentation and that her physician referred her. It meant going to a specific clinic in major city near where she lived, but it went smoothly and her paperwork was accepted.

I have no idea what medical reasons precluded her getting the shots. While she did not say the specific reasons, I suspect it was a very specific reason and not a risk ratio reason, so her case might be different. However, if you really want the cruise you might look into it. You have time.

Wander, good to hear that there are exemptions and they can work. The CDC says there is an exemption process but only for medical reasons and documented from certain licensed vaccination centres. I read this on the webpage address I previously posted on this thread earlier today.

Sorry to hear that you had to cancel out your cruise. Your health is more important than a cruise so you are making the right decision.

Our last three port calls in Nicaragua have convinced me that I'd prefer to stay on the ship from now on.

We are thinking about a Panama Canal cruise in April of 2008. The Westerdam ends up in Seattle and we can drive home. If we opt for the September sailings we hope to see you and say hello.

We have been to Nicaragua several times before on repostitioning cruises and never had to have proof of Yellow Fever shots. Apparently this is new.

In the past it has always been DH that we had to worry about and there was concern about his getting the Yellow Fever shots since he had the heart attack. But we never expected it to be me as I have never had any major health problems until I got that Typhoid shot.

Thankfully we still have 10 years left on the Hep A shots and the Hep B are for life.

Archived