Voyager Transatlantic

Goofyisme

Looking to take the 2008 Voyager TA from Rome to Ft Lauderdale. Would like to know anyone's experiences on this crossing as it relates to weather, sea conditions and things to do on the consecutive sea days. I know no two cruises are alike so just looking for past experiences to help us make decisions. Thanks for any and all replys.

You've expressed some common concerns. The weather for the fall crossings is a little more unpredictable than the spring, but less so for the more southern crossings. You may have some days where the open decks are uncomfortable or even closed due to rain or wind. But other days will be quite pleasant. The Voyager does a relatively smooth crossing, even in bad weather. On the positive, you gain an hour most sea days so your cruise is technically longer. And you have time to relax after a series of busy port days.

Transatlantics are unique in that there is more time to enjoy the ship and the staff and crew are more engaged with the passengers. Activities such as the crew talent competition and market day create great opportunity for interaction. Sea days are NOT boring unless you want to veg out. There are more activities, more lectures, and more late night activity on the ship. Each cruise is different, with each cruise director emphasizing different activities and creating new rituals. And the Cordon Bleu cooking classes are a great way to meet people and hone the kitchen skills.

Since the Navigator isn't doing a traditional fall crossing in 2008, I'll probably switch to the Voyager. I haven't checked out the competition yet so no decision will be made until this year's fall crossing. But I have no hesitation with the Voyager crossings.

JoAnne B

Houston

Thanks JoAnne,

That's just the sort of information we are looking for. Loved Voyager the last time I was on her and it is good to hear she handles the Atlantic well since DW can experience seasickness. I go back and forth between vegging during the crossing and looking for things to do. Nice to know there may be activities available.

Thanks again,

Keith

The last time we were on the Voyager we boarded ship the day after a transatlantic crossing and the crew was somewhat burned out (as such service was not at all up to par).

Has anyone experienced such 'burn out' during the transatlantic hops? Can we expect top service throughout a transatlantic crossing or is decline in service typical?

Personally, I've never seen staff burnout on a TA, although we are all aware of the extra effort they put forth. On the other hand, in the past TA's were lightly booked, but fully staffed. These days the cruises are running pretty full. I'm sure this puts more pressure on the staff.

One comment, I would definitely book a low cabin on the Voyager for a TA. I've been in cabins on the upper decks and there is definitely more motion. Low and midship is my mantra.

JoAnne B

Houston

Joanne B, You had better book the 2008 westbound TA fast. We booked it 2 days ago and all of our favorite suites were already booked! We reserved our 4th choice suite. I asked our TA if he had made a mistake and asked about the 2007 TA, but he was very clear that it was the 2008 crossing that was getting booked up fast. Perhaps that this is because the Navigator is not doing the westbound TA in 2008. We have never before had any trouble getting our 1st choice suite on any of the fall transatlantics. We asked our TA about the Crystal Serenity 2008 WB crossing -- we could get our 1st choice accomodations, but we decided that we would really rather be on the Voyager.

BTW, A friend of ours just got on to the 2007 WB grand crossing after spending several weeks on the waitlist.

The Seabourn TAs have been sailing full for years. We have always loved transatlantic crossings: I've made 22 of them. This will be our 3rd on the Voyager.

BTW, a friend of mine just booked the 2007 westbound grand crossing on the Voyager. He was on the waitlist and just got a confirmed reservation yesterday.

People seem to be catching on to how wonderful these crossings are. Worse luck!

We're on the Westbound 2007 Grand Crossing (Monte Carlo to FLL). A friend of ours cancelled at final payment, so while it was sold out quite a while ago, final payment was due two weeks ago and I know of one Category G that came open fro those waitlisted.

We just booked on the 2008 Voyager Rome to Fort Lauderdale. Like JDRMYS, all our "first choices" were booked. I echo the others an say go for it. Our TA was also amazed that it is selling out so quickly.

This will be our first TA and we are both really looking forward to it. In fact it is kind of over shadowing our Christmas Navigator cruise.

I am booked on the Voyager transatlantic in April 08 and I am looking forward to another extraordinary experience on Regent. After many cruises, one of my most memorable was a transatlantic on the Regent Mariner several years ago from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale.

Although it concerns me very little, I think prospective cruisers might want to be aware that this cruise is the last segment of the World Cruise. I have read some reports, here and elsewhere that some passengers who have taken only segments of world cruises have felt that those passengers booked for the entire cruise get some degree of “preferential treatment” not offered to single segment passengers.

I am sure that the activities and entertainment offered to all passengers will be more than enough to keep me happy. As one who travels solo I am more concerned about meeting other passengers and learning about them. The perfect sea day, for me, would include a spirited gin game with another passenger of like persuasion, while sipping the cocktail of the day.

Paul

Paul 59, The Voyager November transatlantics are not part of the world cruise. The world cruise ends in the spring. We were on the 1st segment of the Mariner's world cruise of which you took the last segment. This was RSSC's first world cruise ever. We heard that by the end there were some problems. I don't believe that this is any longer a problem on the world cruises and they seem to get booked very fast. In any case, the fall westbound transatlantics are completely separate cruises. We have taken 2 (2005 and 2006) and are thrilled to be booked for 2008 -- even if we won't be able to get our 1st or 2nd choice suites. These transatlantics are wonderful. I just wish that they had remained something of the secret that they used to be. We will try to book 2009 when we are on the Mariner in South America in January.

JDRMYS… If you will refer to my previous message on this thread will perhaps note that the cruise I was referring to is the Voyager’s Transatlantic departing Athens on April 13, 2008 arriving in Ft. Lauderdale on April 30. This cruise is the last segment of the world cruise departing January 6, 2008 from San Francisco.

Paul

Sorry, Paul. In your post you do say that you were on the "Regent Mariner". That's the reason that I thought that you were referring to the Mariner's World Cruise in 2003.

BTW, I made a mistake in my post: The 2003 world cruise on the Mariner was not RSSC's 1st world cruise. The Navigator had made a WC the year before.

JDRMYS.... The Mariner transatlantic cruise that I took was in the fall of 02, not o3. It was likewise not a segment of a world cruise. World cruises are generally, if not always, scheduled during the winter and early spring months.

Paul

Paul59, Sorry my memory is faulty. Indeed the Mariner World Cruise segment that we took was in 2002 from Los Angeles to Aukland. The 1st RSSC world cruise had been the year before on the Navigator. I've taken so many RSSC cruises that I am now getting them mixed up!

• 3 weeks later...

We did this last year - Rome to Ft Lauderdale. It was fantastic!

Mediterranean ports - interesting sightseeing and aside from Monaco, great guides.

Trans Atlantic - very relaxing, but with interesting and stimulating lectures. I also took the Cordon Bleu workshop - good if you haven't done it before. Since I had, two years ago on Mariner, it was slightly dissapointing - more or less the same recipes.

The relationships between the crew and the passengers are heightened on a trans Atlantic crossing - 8 sea days! The crew organised a "Fair" on deck where each department had games we could play, for tokens, and then vote for the best! That was great fun.

I would certainly do it again, especially since, as a southern crossing, the weather was good (hot even on some days) and we were lucky - smooth!!

Have a great time.

When I checked with my TA a couple of weeks ago, she said most categories were open. But I'm breaking with tradition and doing a SeaDream crossing in fall 08. I would have booked the Navigator, but it isn't crossing directly from Europe. For less money I can will have 14 nights vs 8, including a couple of interesting caribbean ports. I should have reservations about such a small vessel, but will take my chances.

In the meantime, I have the upcoming Navigator crossing from Monte Carlo and the spring crossing as well.

So anybody on the Navigator crossing?

JoAnne B

Archived