Dining Dress Code

wernew2cruising

What would you like to see Princess do regarding the dress code?  

491 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see Princess do regarding the dress code?

• Exactly follow dress code.
    • Loosen dress code except on formal nights. (no jeans)
    • Loosen dress code every night. ( no jeans)
    • Jeans allowed
    • Anything allowed every night (no bathing suits)

Ten years ago on HAL you had to wear a jacket in the dining room every night. I t didn't stop me from going 3 times. Now I go on Carnival mostly and they really don't care what you wear unless your in a speed-o.

Everyone pays there cruise fare to eat where they want and what they want. If the guy next to you is wearing a tee-shirt and shorts and let in the dining room on Formal night I guess he paid his money to be there.

Nobody is running for election on these cruises so why care. All of these rules are suggested. Not enforced for the simple reason no business wants to loose customers. Princess is a little more pricey than Carnival so they turn there heads. Maybe HAL didn't because of the excellence they advertised.

I voted to abide by the rules set but that's because I'm a good soldier and a little ole fashion. When John Wayne came into his ranch house he always took his hat off. When a soldier sat at the table his cover was immediately removed. Guess it's by habit more than a rule.

You never saw anybody sit at a table in the movies not properly dressed!!

Joe

Do you think formal nights might be a holderover to the "old days of cruising" The grand transatlantic cruises where you were 1st class, 2nd class, etc...? Actually, yes I know, there were more than transatlantic, but you know what I am saying! (although, I must say, it must have sucked to be 3rd class back then and RUIN all the 1st class pax trips, if they happened to see you sneaking around their deck)

Do you think formal nights might be a holderover to the "old days of cruising" The grand transatlantic cruises where you were 1st class, 2nd class, etc...? Actually, yes I know, there were more than transatlantic, but you know what I am saying! (although, I must say, it must have sucked to be 3rd class back then and RUIN all the 1st class pax trips, if they happened to see you sneaking around their deck)

Absolutely it is. Cruising is a mainstream vacation now.. We'd be paying at least triple if we priced out a cruise in today's dollars from even 20 or 30 years ago. The price of taking a cruise is less than staying in middle of the road hotel in Miami during the winter

I think there is a win-win scenario here.. If you want to enforce the dress code without offending people, you have to give them options they want..give people a casual sit down option other than the buffet on formal nights..if people want to wear shorts and a t shirt for dinner, then they can go the buffet or hang out at the pizza and burger joints on deck.

If it means waiting for a seat in the casual place, then make both alt dining options casual. You have to adapt to what people want

I think the dress code should be strictly enforced. There are venues for casual dress and more formal dress. Formal nights are called formal for a reason. If you don't feel like dressing up, go to the causal buffet or eat a burger on deck or order room service. One alternative the lines might provide would be room service that includes the regular dining menu from the main restaurant during the dinner hours. Don't subject the rest of us who enjoy dressing up and know how to dress appropriately for the occasion to the likes of jeans and tank tops! There are lines that allow more casual dress and those that don't - choose the line that fits your style. There is plenty of information about the dress code available online, in brochures and in these boards so that there is NO excuse for anyone to claim ignorance. If any line that I sail on changes to allowing jeans in the restaurant, that is a line I won't travel on any longer and I'll let them know! I believe someone posted that NCL is going to allow jeans in the restaurant - we probably won't be sailing with them again! This country is getting way to sloppy as it is.

We have a friend who I'd love to travel with but they refuse to put on anything more fancy than jeans to eat in a restaurant and swore they'd never cruise because they'd have to dress up - oh well - their loss!

I may sound like a snob (too bad!) but the old saying still holds true: A place for everything and everything in its place!

I agree with you 100 percent!!!

Absolutely it is. Cruising is a mainstream vacation now.. We'd be paying at least triple if we priced out a cruise in today's dollars from even 20 or 30 years ago. The price of taking a cruise is less than staying in middle of the road hotel in Miami during the winter

I think there is a win-win scenario here.. If you want to enforce the dress code without offending people, you have to give them options they want..give people a casual sit down option other than the buffet on formal nights..if people want to wear shorts and a t shirt for dinner, then they can go the buffet or hang out at the pizza and burger joints on deck.

If it means waiting for a seat in the casual place, then make both alt dining options casual. You have to adapt to what people want

This seems like a solution that would work for many/most/all. But the dress code police don't want such a solution. They want you to comply with their interpretation of the current/recent past dress code, or find another cruise line. There are even some that are afraid that they will lose the OBC's they get from Princess when they complain about enforcement of the dress code.

I no nothing about the women's rental stuff; however, my spouse shares your view. IMHO Formal nights and Formal dress for men is pretty simple, women's dress on the other hand IMHO can be VERY complicated! ;) :D

My wife always manages to look nice though, see profile picture. My dress there is the very formal white tie, US Army White Mess Dress.

Do you even know what IMHO stands for. Reading your various posts, humble is not the first word that comes to mind.

Doug & Eric,

You made a statement saying that any lines that allows jeans in the dining room, you would no longer sail on. If Princess did indeed change and is allowing jeans in the dining room (except formal nights) are you still going to sail them in Nov, and after?

This seems like a solution that would work for many/most/all. But the dress code police don't want such a solution. They want you to comply with their interpretation of the current/recent past dress code, or find another cruise line.

That's true. There are some who claim that their evening will be ruined if everyone on the ship isn't dressed formally long after dinner. If you don't dress up, you're supposed to stay in the Lido area or in your room -- no shows, no gambling, no strolling about.

That's true. There are some who claim that their evening will be ruined if everyone on the ship isn't dressed formally long after dinner. If you don't dress up, you're supposed to stay in the Lido area or in your room -- no shows, no gambling, no strolling about.

Actually, you're supposed to jump overboard and swim to the nearest NCL ship.

That's right! We are standing here with our hand sanitizer at the opening of the DR door.:D

Do you ever get the feeling that people who hold differing opinions could care less if the others ever cruise. They want it only their way. The problems is that change is inevitable. It happens every day. But, everyday we see cruise line changing to meet new cultural expectations.

These ships are huge..maybe we can have a rule that casual wear on the port side and formal on starboard..then put up a big curtain in the middle :P
Now there is an idea whose time as come. Additionally each side could sport a team and compete in such arenas as "Table Setting," "Oil Changing," "Tug-O-War," "Opera Singing," "Checkers" and stuff like that. It would be a hoot.

Now there is an idea whose time as come. Additionally each side could sport a team and compete in such arenas as "Table Setting," "Oil Changing," "Tug-O-War," "Opera Singing," "Checkers" and stuff like that. It would be a hoot.

In their respective dress...formal folks competing in their formal wear, others in whatever they want to wear! This COULD catch on! :rolleyes:

I always thought IMHO, meant In My Honest Opinion... not humble...:confused:

I use the acronym IMHO a fair number of times and my meaning, when I use this acronym is 'In My Humble Opinion.'

Apparenty it is pretty common computer acronym.:

http://www.cknow.com/ckinfo/i/IMHO-InMyHumbleOpinion.html

Also:

"One interesting feature is the list of common abbreviations used on Internet Relay Chat and Usenet (such as TTYL, for "talk to you later," and IMHO, for "in my humble opinion."). Webster's New World Dictionary of Computer Terms.

Do you even know what IMHO stands for. Reading your various posts, humble is not the first word that comes to mind.

Gee thanks for your 'humble' (?) opinion. :rolleyes:

Yes, I know what the word stands for do you? Apparently not, or we wouldn't be having this conversation, now would we?

Keep reading my posts, perhaps you might even learn somthing, about expressing one's opinion in an open forum.

Have a NICE day! :p

My last cruise was on the Norwegian Spirit. The formal night for the crowd that was on that ship was a longed sleeve shirt, and a pair of dockers. Our next cruise is a week long one on the Mexican Riviera on the Golden Princess. I am packing a tux, and my United States Air Force mess dress, which is a military formal wear with my rank, wings and medals. After 27 years and counting of military service, (and still in the Reserve), the DW insists that I bring it along. Any of you retired or still active military members might want to consider bringing yours along! :)

Carnival Fantasy 11/03 Bahamas

Carnival Pride 12/04 Mexican Riviera

Sun Princess 09/05 Panama Canal

Carnival Valor 10/06 Western Carib

Norwegian Spirt 05/07 :( Bermuda/Eastern Carib

My last cruise was on the Norwegian Spirit. The formal night for the crowd that was on that ship was a longed sleeve shirt, and a pair of dockers. Our next cruise is a week long one on the Mexican Riviera on the Golden Princess. I am packing a tux, and my United States Air Force mess dress, which is a military formal wear with my rank, wings and medals. After 27 years and counting of military service, (and still in the Reserve), the DW insists that I bring it along. Any of you retired or still active military members might want to consider bringing yours along! :)

Carnival Fantasy 11/03 Bahamas

Carnival Pride 12/04 Mexican Riviera

Sun Princess 09/05 Panama Canal

Carnival Valor 10/06 Western Carib

Norwegian Spirt 05/07 :( Bermuda/Eastern Carib

I do on occassion dress (As a retired US Army MSG) in either my US Army mess Dress (Either Blue or White.) See Pic my wife & I in profile picture with me in Army Blue mess dress taken on the Sapphire Princess Osaka — Seattle Cruise.

I had both after some 30 + Years (In the Active & Reserve, of both the Army and AF.) and I didn't have a Civilian Tux, so I wore them.

I'm proud of my service, especially my Combat service in Korea, and the ten plus years in the US Army's Special Forces. (Or Green Berets, as some people know SF.) My whole adult life has been serving the people of the US and my community, as both a Soldier, Airman and Law Enforcement officer for 34 years.

I still enjoy wearing the mess dress on occassion, however, I always spend a lot of time answering questions on which branch of the service I represent (A lot of people think the Army Blue mess dress is a Marine or Navy uniform. They never saw the Army blue uniform or know the history of the Army's Blue dress uniform. It does gets some what tiresome, after awhile. I had one women on a Panama cruise, where I was wearing my White Mess dress, stop me and start asking directions around the ship, thinking I as a crew member.

Explaining my medals, qualification badges (CIB, Master Parachutist wings, Glider Badge and SCUBA Badge, as well as SF Tab & Ranger Tab.) to questions like what are those things for.

I really don't mind that so much; however, I have had a few make rude remarks as well, usually from fellow Americans. I'd like to punch them out for such remarks; however, I don't want to be kicked off because some clown makes trouble. They are very much in the minority; however, there always seems to be that 1% of idiots, that love to make such rude and crude remarks and get you stired up.

I think it was on that Princess Sapphire Cruise, that had a a great number of Japanese tourists on board (Leaving from Osaka, Japan) that on every formal night, and there were three, lined up to have their partners take a picture with me in uniform. It was sort of humorous, but time consuming. :o

Of course, there were many American passengers who thanked me for my service. which is always nice to hear from a fellow American.

Now, I do have a civilian Tux and White dinner jacket, so I choose to wear them most of the time, to avoid the high profile of appearing in a military dress uniform in a sea of civilian formal clothes. My wife like me to wear the Mess dress, as she always liked a man in uniform! ;) :D

What have been your experiences, in wearing your AF mess Dress?

These ships are huge..maybe we can have a rule that casual wear on the port side and formal on starboard..then put up a big curtain in the middle :P
I agree, these ships are huge. Let's get back to class decks. I would vote with my checkbook on that idea.

Gee thanks for your 'humble' (?) opinion. :rolleyes:

Yes, I know what the word stands for do you? Apparently not, or we wouldn't be having this conversation, now would we?

Keep reading my posts, perhaps you might even learn somthing, about expressing one's opinion in an open forum.

Have a NICE day! :p

I choose not to use the word humble to describe my opinion, or the acronym IMHO. I'll leave that hypocrisy to you. As far as how to express one's opinion in an open forum, I see very little to learn from in yours. I've seen your comments on the British, Canadians, French and Germans (and there are probably many more). Not something I want to emulate.

Archived