Dining Dress Code

wernew2cruising

What would you like to see Princess do regarding the dress code?  

491 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see Princess do regarding the dress code?

• Exactly follow dress code.
    • Loosen dress code except on formal nights. (no jeans)
    • Loosen dress code every night. ( no jeans)
    • Jeans allowed
    • Anything allowed every night (no bathing suits)

That would be Humour ;) darest we bring up the Germans?

I am German American and I think the rules are the rules. If you disobey you will be unter kontrolle.

As I have stated in other posts, if folks (folksy American term ) do not want to dress appropriately they should be locked in their staterooms. ;)

Where's the facts to back up your contention...? Are you basing your thoughts on the result of THIS poll?

It is called an opinion, have you ever heard of one? :p

I would never base a decision on ANY poll that I read on these boards. Cruise Critic posters are probably less than 1/10th of 1 percent of people who cruise. While occasionally you might encounter some facts, the vast majority of posting on these boards are nothing more than opinion and speculation.

In any event, the poll here is for formal, not that I would think it would be anything else.

Cheers,

Peter

Hmmm ... do you eat with your hat on? :eek: ;)

Here's a little reading material for you, from your own country!!

Do take your hat off when you go indoors (men only)

It is impolite for men to wear hats indoors including restuarants and churches.

Manners are Important

Do's and Don'ts (Taboos) in England UK

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/behaviour.html

I'm sure there was a point here that you were trying to make, I'm not sure I can figure it out though.

Oh yeah, I think I get it, someone thinks that wearing a hat indoors is bad manners. I love these things, and my response is, so what? Just another silly rule that makes no difference in the real world.

Exactly what is it about someone wearing a hat that is so bothersome? Do you really need to look at the top of their head for some reason?

Cheers,

Peter

I don't care much for the this idea at all. Apparently, if you look at the graph at the start of this thread most people here don't either.

So, hmmm ... whats that Brit term I'm looking for... ah .. is it Bollocks on this idea and your 'Titanic, An Affair to Remember et al.!' ?? :rolleyes: ;)

Hmm, I thought I was entitled to my opinion as well as you are entitled to yours?

Cheers,

Peter

I think that the dress code is going to go away because of many things:

1. If you have to fly, there is a weight limit for your bags.

2. Most of us are not rich.

3. Our culture is changing.

I did not vote because I think that manners is not in to how a person looks, but how they act. So why would we want to dress according to the "code"? If it is for respect, then it is great. However, dress is only one way to show respect. True respect is not only skin-deep. If we could only be more respectful (think kindness), we can enjoy our cruises much more.

I am standing off my soap-box, for the the time-being.

I did not vote because I think that manners is not in to how a person looks, but how they act. So why would we want to dress according to the "code"? If it is for respect, then it is great. However, dress is only one way to show respect. True respect is not only skin-deep. If we could only be more respectful (think kindness), we can enjoy our cruises much more.

It's something one might call a "dumbing down of society." Everything changes, I remember waaaaaaay back then, when a girl in high school would get pregnant, you would never see her again. Now, in Oakland, CA. (and I'm sure many other places) they have baby day care attached to the high schools.

Formal is breathing it's last.

It's something one might call a "dumbing down of society." Everything changes, I remember waaaaaaay back then, when a girl in high school would get pregnant, you would never see her again. Now, in Oakland, CA. (and I'm sure many other places) they have baby day care attached to the high schools.

Maybe we can help by putting a pillow over it's head? :D

Or wearing one? :eek:

Just kidding. :cool:

Cheers,

Peter

I'll take your case point by point:

1. A lame excuse. Packing in one dark suit or tux, and a couple of formal dresses isn't going to bust your weight limit. If it does, take something else out. How many clothes to you really need?

2. Irrelevant. If you can afford a Princess cruise, you can afford a suit. If you can't, NCL is more than happy to accommodate you. We sail on Princess because we enjoy dressing up. If you don't, go where your views fit in instead of trying to change ours.

3. Correct. More's the pity. There are still people, such as the majority in this poll, who think the old standards are worth preserving. We enjoy seeing guys dressed like gentlemen and women in their best plumage. It's part of the old-time cruise experience. Stop trying to ruin it.

KK

1. A lame excuse. Packing in one dark suit or tux, and a couple of formal dresses isn't going to bust your weight limit. If it does, take something else out. How many clothes to you really need?

KK

Not always the case, we have friends who are leaving next month for a 49 day European Cruise...they have 9 formal nights. I somehow don't think one to two dresses is going to cut it with traditional dining.

They're allowed two suitcases each, just like the rest of us. With airlines cutting back to one piece of checked luggage at 50 lbs, it's getting harder and harder to follow the dress code each night. It's not going to be long before all airlines allow one checked bag. HAL has already cut out it's Semi-Formal dress attire. Just my opinion, but I do think we'll start seeing a decline in formal nights.

I'll take your case point by point:

2. Irrelevant. If you can afford a Princess cruise, you can afford a suit. If you can't, NCL is more than happy to accommodate you. We sail on Princess because we enjoy dressing up. If you don't, go where your views fit in instead of trying to change ours.

3. Correct. More's the pity. There are still people, such as the majority in this poll, who think the old standards are worth preserving. We enjoy seeing guys dressed like gentlemen and women in their best plumage. It's part of the old-time cruise experience. Stop trying to ruin it.

KK

A nice post.

1. I need enough clothes to wear for me. If you can get by with less, you are lucky.

2. Irrelevant? I don't think so. NCL - not for me either. Why should I get a suit to wear ONE time only?

3. I am NOT trying to ruin anything. I don't want to change your life. If you like to dress to the 9s, enjoy it for YOU. I come in clean, in my best clothes. If that is not enough for anybody I am sorry, but that is the way it is. On my last 30+ cruises, I have never seen the need to but a lot of fancy clothes.

Hmm, I thought I was entitled to my opinion as well as you are entitled to yours?

Cheers,

Peter

Why, yes you are entitled to your opinion, and of course I expressed my opinion of your opinion! So what?

As for wearing a hat while eating indoors, it is just a another case of bad manners!

Of course, when one like you considers manners as 'silly rules that make no difference in the world.' I guess that I must be dealing with an uncivilized barbarian, who must make his/her own 'rules' of manners and etiquette.

I quote:

"Oh yeah, I think I get it, someone thinks that wearing a hat indoors is bad manners. I love these things, and my response is, so what? Just another silly rule that makes no difference in the real world."

Perhaps some more reading material would be of service to you.

http://www.wikihow.com/Have-Manners

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manners

DH and I do not mind dressing up but i hate to see him wearing a black suit on the Panama Cruise.

Thats very easy to solve!

Buy or rent a Tux and also a white formal dinner Jacket. Leave the Tux black dinner jacket at home. (Or in the case of the rental rent one or the other or both.)

Wear the black Tux pants, formal White shirt, studs & cuff links, black Cumber Bund & Bow Tie along with dress shoes and wear the White formal dinner jacket. This type of formal wear is great for tropical climates.

Or, you can take or rent both jackets, which will give you a different look if you have a number of formal nights. As I recall, there are at least (3) Formal Nights on most Panama cruises. ;)

My dear if you would read all of the posts before making one of your own, you should be able to see that I was asking if the poster's opinion was in line with the poll. Mine is, his isn't.

Right ... :rolleyes:

I'm not your "sister" anymore and now I'm your "dear"? People are going to talk!!! :D Your posts speak for themselves. No need to try to stop people from posting.

Thats very easy to solve!

Buy or rent a Tux and also a white formal dinner Jacket. Leave the Tux black dinner jacket at home. (Or in the case of the rental rent one or the other or both.)

Wear the black Tux pants, formal White shirt, studs & cuff links, black Cumber Bund & Bow Tie along with dress shoes and wear the White formal dinner jacket. This type of formal wear is great for tropical climates.

Or, you can take or rent both jackets, which will give you a different look if you have a number of formal nights. As I recall, there are at least (3) Formal Nights on most Panama cruises. ;)

Oh, yeah, there you go...spend a couple hundred $$$ on tux rentals to please other people!

Oh, yeah, there you go...spend a couple hundred $$$ on tux rentals to please other people!

No, it isn't to please other people, the person's question was how to avoid keeping her husband from wearing a 'Black' jacket on formal night. I offered an alternative means to avoid wearing a black jacket and staying within the Princess dress guidelines for a formal night in the dinning room.

As you can see below, on rentals through the company that provides Tuxs for cruisers on Princess, the cost for a complete White Jacket Tux is $85.00 the other prices are IMHO they are very reasonable for what they provide for all the formal nights on a given cruise.

This rental service is another reason why I have a problem with passengers that whine about having extra weight in their suitcases for air travel, because they have to pack formal clothes. No room? Over weight? Rent a Tux! They also have Evening gowns for women.

I have rented from this company before and thought the fit was good (You provide the measurements.) and the quality was excellent.

IMHO, If one can afford to cruise, one should be able to follow the guide lines for dress on a formal night, in the dinning room or eat somewhere on the ship that allows the dress you want to wear. Simple Eh? ;)

The Classic Black Tuxedo package rents for $85.00

1 Black Jacket.

1 Pair of Black Pants

2 White Formal Shirts

1 Black Cummerbund and Tie Set

1 Set of Cufflinks and Studs

The White Dinner Jacket Package rents for $85.00

1 White Dinner Jacket

1 Pair of Black Pants

2 White Formal Shirts

The Combo package rents for $120.00:

1 Black Jacket

1 White Dinner Jacket

1 Pair of Black Pants

2 White Formal Shirts

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/prod_pcl_m.html

I have suggested to my DH that he rent a tux when we were taking inter European flights..one bag 44 lbs max. But as a women, I really wouldn't want to rent a dress.

I no nothing about the women's rental stuff; however, my spouse shares your view. IMHO Formal nights and Formal dress for men is pretty simple, women's dress on the other hand IMHO can be VERY complicated! ;) :D

My wife always manages to look nice though, see profile picture. My dress there is the very formal white tie, US Army White Mess Dress.

Hello, all you fancy lads and lassies! My hubby dreaded the idea of having to dress up for dinner, but discovered cruising was worth it. As time passed and he got more cruises under his belt, he grumbled less and shopped more for nice sport coats he could wear for cruises and other events. No, I never got him to wear a tux, but he looks great and holds his own in the almost-formal wear department. I enjoy having a reason to dress up, but I don't stress out about it or feel obligated to wear designer gowns. I sure do enjoy seeing the rest of you in your tuxes or your beaded gowns (and sometimes both if you have spent too much time at the martini bar), so whatever you are wearing, know I appreciate you! Utah's Wife

As for wearing a hat while eating indoors, it is just a another case of bad manners!

Of course, when one like you considers manners as 'silly rules that make no difference in the world.' I guess that I must be dealing with an uncivilized barbarian, who must make his/her own 'rules' of manners and etiquette.

No, last time I checked I do not fit the bill as a barbarian.

And yes, worrying about the placement of eating utensils, plates, glassware, wearing of hats indoors, and dress codes ARE SILLY RULES.

Cheers,

Peter

Pregnant people become INVISIBLE in America???? Wow. In the UK, they get bigger. Must be a cultural thing...........

:D

No, last time I checked I do not fit the bill as a barbarian.

And yes, worrying about the placement of eating utensils, plates, glassware, wearing of hats indoors, and dress codes ARE SILLY RULES.

Cheers,

Peter

Hear hear! Or is it Here here????

There must be a rule about that.................

Funniest stupid rule ever: a friend of mine, in a government skills training place, went to the store. Filled in silly form. Initialled it in the wrong place. Had this pointed out to him by clerk. Was told to cross out the initial. Did so. And then - wait for it, this is good - was asked to INITIAL against the crossed-out initial to signify it was an authorised amendment of an initial.

Having a "right" and "wrong" side to put down a used napkin (as an example) is no more or no less idiotic than this. It makes absolutely no contribution in any way to an evening, the ambience of the boat canteen (oh sorry, "ship's fine dining room" hee hee), the world in general other than to inflate further the sense of fake superiority enjoyed by those who make these rules up, not to enhance the general experience, but to give them another excuse to sneer at people they perceive to be inferior. It's just very sad, and very, very funny that some people live their lives this way. And all this enforced conformity - it's a bit commie isn't it?

:D :D

having first cruised on fred olsen lines out of southampton england dress codes are strictly observed, on a informal night suit , blazer with or without tie i had gone casual believing it was a themed night and was refused entry to the dinning room , it was handled discreetly and it took only two minutes to nip back and put on a blazer, on formal nights everybody wore tux , gowns etc and how smart everyone looked, on the next cruise costa fortuna, i asked the maitre d on the dress code for formal , and put on my best for the capt ,s gala dinner i was one of 6 in a tux a lot came in jeans and tee shirts somehow its not the same , but the champagne helped, if you know were you are and they enforce the rules i.e sunbeds etc are always a complaint , then things should go like clockwork

Hear hear! Or is it Here here????

There must be a rule about that.................

Funniest stupid rule ever: a friend of mine, in a government skills training place, went to the store. Filled in silly form. Initialled it in the wrong place. Had this pointed out to him by clerk. Was told to cross out the initial. Did so. And then - wait for it, this is good - was asked to INITIAL against the crossed-out initial to signify it was an authorised amendment of an initial.

Having a "right" and "wrong" side to put down a used napkin (as an example) is no more or no less idiotic than this. It makes absolutely no contribution in any way to an evening, the ambience of the boat canteen (oh sorry, "ship's fine dining room" hee hee), the world in general other than to inflate further the sense of fake superiority enjoyed by those who make these rules up, not to enhance the general experience, but to give them another excuse to sneer at people they perceive to be inferior. It's just very sad, and very, very funny that some people live their lives this way. And all this enforced conformity - it's a bit commie isn't it?

:D :D

Exactly! It is astounding to hear rational people discuss such idiocy as if it matters to the slightest degree.

Whomever decided that having everyone wear the same clothing that makes for "some enchanted evening" was probably in the business of providing such clothing.

That people in this day and age still adhere to such silliness is amazing.

"We never get to dress up." <-Why not, no reason not to have dress up nights at home.

"It is so much fun." <- If it was so much fun why not do it all the time!

"We never do this at home." <- Gee, why not?

"Everyone looks so nice." <- I guess it must be a uniform thing.

The whole idea of this sort of dress came about from people who had way too much money and enjoyed showing off to everyone else, and making fun of those that did not quite fit in and change their clothing at least 3 or 4 times per day.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived