Dining Dress Code

wernew2cruising

What would you like to see Princess do regarding the dress code?  

491 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see Princess do regarding the dress code?

• Exactly follow dress code.
    • Loosen dress code except on formal nights. (no jeans)
    • Loosen dress code every night. ( no jeans)
    • Jeans allowed
    • Anything allowed every night (no bathing suits)

I don't care so much about what the dress code states.

I care more that they don't ENFORCE the dress code that they themselves have written.

If they want to allow ultra-casual clothes, then fine. Change the dress code to state that and make sure the passengers comply with it.

Exactly! Most of these dress code threads end up with two arguments going on, except some people don't realize it. One argument is about what the dress code should be and the other is about whether people should follow it. Those who would prefer a more relaxed dress code are often accused of being violators. Those who like to dress up are called snobs and belittled for their preferences.

I don't think any of us are going to change the others' minds. The bottom line is just as you state: Princess should be clear and consistent in what the code is and then enforce it.

This is the biggest issue with me also. I do like having a couple formal evenings, but what I would really like to see is for Princess to enforce their dress code....whatever it is.

If the purpose was simply dress for dining, that would work. I believe the purpose of formal night was to create an ambiance throughout the ship, not just dining rooms. Fine dining, fine shows, fine dancing and clubs.

That's what I enjoy, and why I prefer the dress code as it is - formal for two nights, casual for the others.

Keep in mind around the time of our first cruise, there were formal, semi-formal, and just 3 casual nights. What we have now is a compromise.

The thing is, it seems like 1/3 of the people go back and change into casual after dinner, so it's hard to keep the formal night atmosphere going. Do they, or perhaps they should, have formal only events? such as maybe ballroom dancing or maybe a formal only cocktail party? It just seems like the only thing formal of the evening is dinner

My pet peeve is seeing men wearing baseball caps in the dining room.

Oh my, the absolute horror of horrors, someone wearing a hat! :eek:

Looking at someone's head is so much more palatable. :confused:

Some people! :D

Cheers,

Peter

When we were on NCL, they did just that - on formal night, one dining room was formal, all others were standard casual. If you wanted to dress up, you went to the formal dining room. As it was a 7 day cruise and we were coming from FL, we didn't feel like carting formal clothes for one night. We opted out and ate elsewhere. We didn't try to break the rules and demand to be seated in the formal restaurant when not dressed appropriately! However, this was the adult thing to do - can't expect that of most people these days!

This is why I think the 1 casual room (and buffet) would work..It's easier to enforce the rule if you tell them they can still have a sit down meal and have the service that they paid for..and not be forced to the buffet.

Here's another question..do you lose your traditional dining spot if you don't do a formal night? If so, then recind that rule..I think the key is to remove the reasons for people to force their way into a formal room

This is why I think the 1 casual room (and buffet) would work..It's easier to enforce the rule if you tell them they can still have a sit down meal and have the service that they paid for..and not be forced to the buffet.

Here's another question..do you lose your traditional dining spot if you don't do a formal night? If so, then recind that rule..I think the key is to remove the reasons for people to force their way into a formal room

While I like the idea, it would be tough to implement as there would be so many people queueing up for the casual dining and only a smattering of souls in the formal one. Now they could say that anytime is casual and traditional is just that, it would also sort out the waiting list for traditional as well!

Just think an entire dining room crafted for those who like to "dress for dinner". They could relive all those memorable dining moments from Titanic, An Affair to Remember et al.

Cheers,

Peter

Oh my, the absolute horror of horrors, someone wearing a hat! :eek:

Looking at someone's head is so much more palatable. :confused:

Some people! :D

Cheers,

Peter

Hmmm ... do you eat with your hat on? :eek: ;)

Here's a little reading material for you, from your own country!!

Do take your hat off when you go indoors (men only)

It is impolite for men to wear hats indoors including restuarants and churches.

Manners are Important

Do's and Don'ts (Taboos) in England UK

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/behaviour.html

While I like the idea, it would be tough to implement as there would be so many people queueing up for the casual dining and only a smattering of souls in the formal one. Now they could say that anytime is casual and traditional is just that, it would also sort out the waiting list for traditional as well!

Just think an entire dining room crafted for those who like to "dress for dinner". They could relive all those memorable dining moments from Titanic, An Affair to Remember et al.

Cheers,

Peter

I don't care much for the this idea at all. Apparently, if you look at the graph at the start of this thread most people here don't either.

So, hmmm ... whats that Brit term I'm looking for... ah .. is it Bollocks on this idea and your 'Titanic, An Affair to Remember et al.!' ?? :rolleyes: ;)

I just cast my vote and am glad to see I am in the majority. I also agree that the dress code should be enforced more. I truly enjoy dressing for dinner it may not make the food taste better but it does go along with the atmosphere of the beautiful dining room. If you want casual clothes (shorts, tank tops,hats, and jeans) then eat at the buffet.

Personally, I think Formal Night should be done away with. More and more people choose not to dress up and more and more people get their knickers in a twist that people don't dress up. I'd like to see Princess move to the same dress code as Oceania. Country club casual everynight, which means no jeans! That I'd want them to enforce...Jeans and shorts don't belong in a dining room.

Where's the facts to back up your contention...? Are you basing your thoughts on the result of THIS poll?

Personally, I think Formal Night should be done away with. More and more people choose not to dress up and more and more people get their knickers in a twist that people don't dress up. I'd like to see Princess move to the same dress code as Oceania. Country club casual everynight, which means no jeans! That I'd want them to enforce...Jeans and shorts don't belong in a dining room.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion; however, in looking at the graphs at the start of this thread, it would appear that your opinion is in the minority here. May be you should stick with Oceania and there (3 is it?) ships, if you don't like formal nights, etc.

Where's the facts to back up your contention...? Are you basing your thoughts on the result of THIS poll?

I suppose that's true...and when the disregard for decorum becomes overbearing, I'm sure we will. I agree with you - Princess should enforce their guidelines and it seems that they are being more closely enforced if we believe the reports we read here. So maybe we don't have to vote with our feet. In fact if you check the vote of the poll on this board, you'll see that opinion doesn't necessarily agree with practice. Perhaps Princess has or will take note already. You're the one who mentioned what the OFFICIAL (your emphasis) policy was in your post - I was just responding to what you posted...? I would guess you're probably right - the ultimate goal of Princess is to fill their ships and if telling someone they can't enter a dining room because they aren't appropriately dressed negatively affects their future revenue, they will choose to ignore the transgresstion. That's what's wrong with mass marketing and 3100 passenger ships.

As I mentioned before, we should be careful what we choose - as with the changes in the Captain's Circle tier benefits, there is good and bad to be had with every change. Once the proliferation of jeans is complete, then it will be something other guideline loosened and then another - and believe me, everyone has a point where they'll vote with their feet - you too. :)

I guess if you can base your comments on the poll in one of your posts, you really shouldn't ridicule someone for the doing same thing. :rolleyes:

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion; however, in looking at the graphs at the start of this thread, it would appear that your opinion is in the minority here. May be you should stick with Oceania and there (3 is it?) ships, if you don't like formal nights, etc.

Back up the truck... I didn't say anything about not cruising Princess because they have formal nights, I've never cruised Oceania, but I like their idea of Business Casual. But I can tell you packing for this upcoming land trip, it's an absolute pleasure not to have to bother with any formal clothes. DH and I always take part in formal night, I just think it's run it's course with today's cruisers. Doesn't mean I won't follow the "Dress Code" with whatever line I'm on.

And as approx 1% of cruisers post on Cruise Critic, I'd take any poll with a grain of salt.

Back up the truck... I didn't say anything about not cruising Princess because they have formal nights, I've never cruised Oceania, but I like their idea of Business Casual. But I can tell you packing for this upcoming land trip, it's an absolute pleasure not to have to bother with any formal clothes. DH and I always take part in formal night, I just think it's run it's course with today's cruisers. Doesn't mean I won't follow the "Dress Code" with whatever line I'm on.

And as approx 1% of cruisers post on Cruise Critic, I'd take any poll with a grain of salt.

I think its very humerous that you would praise Oceania, when you have never even cruised on that line. BTW: I checked their website and tried to find a 'dress code' with their search button and had no result! :rolleyes:

As for the poll, if you read my post you will notice I said "in looking at the graphs at the start of this thread, it would appear that your opinion is in the minority here. not all the cruisers in the wide world!

Yes, I enjoy land trips or vacations too! I do a lot of car trips to the Oregon, Washington and Northern California beaches, where formal clothes are not needed. I do however, since I have started cruising on Princess at least twice a year, enjoy the formal dinning nights on Princess.

It is my feeling that as long as Princess has formal dinning nights, I will be in formal dinning apparel, which to me, means a Tux or my Military mess dress. IMHO the only thing besides formal apparel that should be allowed in the dinning rooms on formal is a dark dress suit with shirt and tie.

If passengers do not want to at least wear a suit and tie, IMHO they should dine in their cabin or the Horizon Court.

BTW: I think you are wrong with your statement "I just think it's run it's course with today's cruisers." This is not the way I see it or hear it from the majority of people who cruise on Princess most of the time.

I'm of course, glad that you and 'DH' "follow the "Dress Code" with whatever line I'm on."

Please be sure to do that when your on your next Princess cruise, I hate it when people don't! ;)

I think the current code is reasonable, and should be enforced.

Having said that, we've sailed twice on Oceania, with two more cruises booked, and find that their "country club casual" dress code works very well, and greatly simplifies packing.

We love Oceania too, because you don't have those awful formal nights. Personally, I like Princess' dress code, except for the formal nights, which I'd like for them to relax - particularly on their small ships, where there's no "other" choice but to order room service or eat pizza!!

I think its very humerous that you would praise Oceania, when you have never even cruised on that line. BTW: I checked their website and tried to find a 'dress code' with their search button and had no result! :rolleyes:

As for the poll, if you read my post you will notice I said "in looking at the graphs at the start of this thread, it would appear that your opinion is in the minority here. not all the cruisers in the wide world!

It is my feeling that as long as Princess has formal dinning nights, I will be in formal dinning apparel, which to me, means a Tux or my Military mess dress. IMHO the only thing besides formal apparel that should be allowed in the dinning rooms on formal is a dark dress suit with shirt and tie.

If passengers do not want to at least wear a suit and tie, IMHO they should dine in their cabin or the Horizon Court.

BTW: I think you are wrong with your statement "I just think it's run it's course with today's cruisers." This is not the way I see it or hear it from the majority of people who cruise on Princess most of the time.

I'm of course, glad that you and 'DH' "follow the "Dress Code" with whatever line I'm on."

Please be sure to do that when your on your next Princess cruise, I hate it when people don't! ;)

I'll try and keep this civil, because if I really replied in how I was feeling i'd be banned. You're obviously having a bad night as indicated by the way you jumped all over the guy asking about the take on your own wine policy.

The fact that you find it "humerous" that I praise Oceania even though I haven't sailed them is ridiculous...I said I liked their dress code, sorry you couldn't find it on their website, but maybe this put you off searching any further...

Customer Profile

Oceania Cruises appeals to discerning, sophisticated travelers in search of world-class cuisine, unparalleled personal service, and an enriching, in-depth, destination-oriented experience.

My opinion on the poll is standing at 40% granted a minority, but not one to be ignorned.

"If passengers do not want to at least wear a suit and tie, IMHO they should dine in their cabin or the Horizon Court." this kind of attitude really isn't showing your best side.

"BTW: I think you are wrong with your statement "I just think it's run it's course with today's cruisers." This is not the way I see it or hear it from the majority of people who cruise on Princess most of the time." That's the beauty of my opinion, I really don't give a s what you think.

Seeing as you couldn't find the dress code...it's right here..

What should I pack?

For your comfort and convenience, the onboard ambiance is elegant yet casual throughout the cruise and country club and resort-style attire is appropriate for both men and women. In all evening dining venues, we request that guests adhere to the appropriate country club-casual dress code. Shorts, jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear or sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Polo Grill and Toscana. As Tapas on the Terrace exudes a resort-casual ambiance, dressy shorts and casual shirts may be worn in the evenings.Tank tops and swimsuits are not appropriate attire for any of our onboard restaurants at any time. Attire ashore is recommended to be casual and comfortable, and we place a particular emphasis on appropriate footwear, including good walking shoes and in some destinations, reef-walkers and beach sandals. Some tourist sites may require specific attire in respect to local customs. Please consult with the Destination Services desk for more information.

I guess if you can base your comments on the poll in one of your posts, you really shouldn't ridicule someone for the doing same thing. :rolleyes:
My dear if you would read all of the posts before making one of your own, you should be able to see that I was asking if the poster's opinion was in line with the poll. Mine is, his isn't.

Right ... :rolleyes:

I'll try and keep this civil, because if I really replied in how I was feeling i'd be banned. You're obviously having a bad night as indicated by the way you jumped all over the guy asking about the take on your own wine policy.

The fact that you find it "humerous" that I praise Oceania even though I haven't sailed them is ridiculous...I said I liked their dress code, sorry you couldn't find it on their website, but maybe this put you off searching any further...

Customer Profile

Oceania Cruises appeals to discerning, sophisticated travelers in search of world-class cuisine, unparalleled personal service, and an enriching, in-depth, destination-oriented experience.

My opinion on the poll is standing at 40% granted a minority, but not one to be ignorned.

"If passengers do not want to at least wear a suit and tie, IMHO they should dine in their cabin or the Horizon Court." this kind of attitude really isn't showing your best side.

"BTW: I think you are wrong with your statement "I just think it's run it's course with today's cruisers." This is not the way I see it or hear it from the majority of people who cruise on Princess most of the time." That's the beauty of my opinion, I really don't give a s what you think.

Seeing as you couldn't find the dress code...it's right here..

What should I pack?

For your comfort and convenience, the onboard ambiance is elegant yet casual throughout the cruise and country club and resort-style attire is appropriate for both men and women. In all evening dining venues, we request that guests adhere to the appropriate country club-casual dress code. Shorts, jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear or sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Polo Grill and Toscana. As Tapas on the Terrace exudes a resort-casual ambiance, dressy shorts and casual shirts may be worn in the evenings.Tank tops and swimsuits are not appropriate attire for any of our onboard restaurants at any time. Attire ashore is recommended to be casual and comfortable, and we place a particular emphasis on appropriate footwear, including good walking shoes and in some destinations, reef-walkers and beach sandals. Some tourist sites may require specific attire in respect to local customs. Please consult with the Destination Services desk for more information.

Actually, I'm having a great time here tonight! I love to windup Cannuks! :)

I'm afraid I say just what I think and what I mean to say about most subjects here. Like your statements here, they are my opinions on any given subject! It is the way I feel anout that given subject. I don't expect all to agree with me, but thats the way I see it! Got it?

When I say "If passengers do not want to at least wear a suit and tie, IMHO they should dine in their cabin or the Horizon Court." on Formal nights! That just the way I feel about it.

Of course, you say "I really don't give a s what you think." Yes, I can understand that attitude on your part, since you have shown it in the majority of your posts here.

Yes, I did find it funny that a person would endorse and claim such great things about a cruise line that they hadn't even sailed on. You are telling me that you believe everything they say in their ads, without any first hand experience with the line? Say, I might just might have a bridge for sale ... interested? :rolleyes:

If you are so impressed with the Oceania cruise line and there dress codes, etc. I suggest that you travel with them and enjoy it.

So, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on these topics! Bon Voyage, on your Oceania Cruises, I'll stick with Princess! ;) Hopefully, they will start to enforce their dress code a little better!

BTW: I don't recall 'Jumping on anyone on wine in 'my' wine policy. (?) The Only comment on wine was my answer to you on Korbel California Champagne! Is your rage getting yiou mixed up? ;)

"Actually, I'm having a great time here tonight! I love to windup Cannuks! :) "

Well, you're going to have to find one because I'm English. And equally amused.

"Yes, I did find it funny that a person would endores and claim such great things about a cruise line that they hadn't even sailed on. You are telling me that you believe everything they say in their ads, without any first hand experience with the line? Say, I might just might have a bridge for sale ... interested? :rolleyes:

If you are so impressed with the Oceania cruise line and there dress codes, etc. I suggest that you travel with them and enjoy it."

Come on, this can't be that hard to understand:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...I said I liked their dress code policy. Keep up.

My dear if you would read all of the posts before making one of your own, you should be able to see that I was asking if the poster's opinion was in line with the poll. Mine is, his isn't.

Right ... :rolleyes:

Hello everyone.Wow, I didn't mean to cause such an uproar. I just was wondering what everyone's opinion would be.

As for my opinion, you are correct. It is not in line with what the poll is showing. My option would be #3. But, I still follow the dress code and will continue to do just that. I don't like formal night...I am not a dress up kind of girl. It stresses me and that goes against why I am on vacation. But if that is what I need to do, then I do it.

I am very grateful we live in this great country where we can all have different opinions and be able to express them as well.

Thanks everyone for posting. Keep it up. I have enjoyed reading everyones opinon.

BTW, I really didn't think anyone would vote for #5.

Cindy

Well, you're going to have to find one because I'm English. And equally amused.

Come on, this can't be that hard to understand:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...I said I liked their dress code policy. Keep up.

You live in Vancouver, BC according to your profile, if your a resident there your a Canuck!

Of course if your still a 'Brit' citizen, that explains a lot to me! I do enjoy even more, slagging 'Brits.' I regularly get a chance to do this on a 'Brit' military computer forum called ARRSE in London. I'm used to 'there anti-american candor and humor (?) :rolleyes: ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Army_Rumour_Service

No it's humor for me let the 'Brit's' use humour and colour, etc.

That would be Humour ;) And it's Canuck with one N. So you like to windup Canucks, Slag Brits, you think the French are arrogant, darest we bring up the Germans?

Why not! You mean the Box Heads? As you Brit's refer to Germans as. We just call them Krauts.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Category:Army_Slang

As for Humor, I don't use the Brit word for it nor do I use colour, etc.

As for Canucks, yes you are right one n.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canuck

Archived