NCL's newest gimmick

DocJohnB

Hmmm..:rolleyes:

I already put my 2 cents in but I'm a big spender so I go for a few more.

I think one of things that I find, not annoying, but interesting is that some people have to be talking, connected to another person 75% of their day. I am not talking business people for that's a different story. I'm talking ordinary people who carry that phone 24/7 and are on it more than they are off.

I have co-workers who are not allowed to use the company phone so they sit at their desk holding hourly personal phone conversations on their cell phones as if the entire world outside of work will collaspe if they are not talking to someone out there every hour on the hour. I suppose there's a reason for it...but I am scratching my head in wonder of what it is. :confused:

I also know that if I had a teenager they would not have an ordinary cell phone. They would have a Track Phone where the minutes are bought and they would get very few, for the phone would be used only when absolutely necessary. My sister in-law's teenage son goes through hundreds :eek: (not kidding) of calls a week and I can't see where that is healthy at all. Sure I was a kid once....but my parents limited my use of the phone, the tv, the radio, and the family car to name a few of the limits imposed on us kids then.

182, I am not suggesting anyone not use all available tech: of course it's a way of life and necessary even to survive in todays world. What I was saying is 1-can't most of us or you enjoy a vacation without being in constant contact with work whether you own your own business or are a janitor someplace? 2-if you seem to think the company will fall apart without you then please make certain your business is not being conducted in my ear in any dining room, at a show or a sport event. I can think of many other places your phone should be turned off. When you are driving it's best to keep your hands (both of them) on the wheel. Assuming you have a phone that has good roaming you can talk to the states, in many cases, from the islands. NCL particularly stops almost daily at a port. Life is short, relax and learn to enjoy it rather than work, work, work! This goes for being considrate of others as well. We were at a concert not too long ago; my DH's favorite, Olivia Newton John. How nice it would have been if we could have heard her sing instead of listening the you young lady behind us on her cell phone. NMnita

Here's my two cents about business people who feel compelled to stay connected: if the business can't operate without your input, you shouldn't be on a cruise or even on vacation. I know that's a little harsh, but that's how I feel. In addition, somebody (at least one person) should be capable of picking up your duties for a week or so in your absence. If such a person doesn't exist, again, you shouldn't be leaving for an extended period.

As with any "rule", of course, there are exceptions -- in this case, emergencies. Then again, everybody's definition of emergency is different, too.

Here's my two cents about business people who feel compelled to stay connected: if the business can't operate without your input, you shouldn't be on a cruise or even on vacation. I know that's a little harsh, but that's how I feel. In addition, somebody (at least one person) should be capable of picking up your duties for a week or so in your absence. If such a person doesn't exist, again, you shouldn't be leaving for an extended period.

As with any "rule", of course, there are exceptions -- in this case, emergencies. Then again, everybody's definition of emergency is different, too.

It may not be that "the business can't operate without their input" but rather they will be more relaxed knowing that all is ok and thus they will have a better vacation. Also some people Love what they do for a living and enjoy being in touch with work. Shoudn't they be allowed to?

It may not be that "the business can't operate without their input" but rather they will be more relaxed knowing that all is ok and thus they will have a better vacation. Also some people Love what they do for a living and enjoy being in touch with work. Shoudn't they be allowed to?

Sorry, I don't buy it. Of course, they are allowed to do whatever they want (within reason and if legal, of course). But if they can't trust that all is ok, then the person being left in charge is obviously not trustworthy enough or not capable enough, which leads me back to my original conclusion: they should have stayed behind in the first place. And if they love what they do, then they should love staying at work and not going on vacation.

What you're suggesting is someone trying to have it both ways. I believe that you really can't have it both ways -- successfully, that is. If you can't totally relax while on vacation, that means you don't have someone that you entrust with the business. If you enjoy being in touch with work to such an extent that you will allow it to interfere with your complete enjoyment of a vacation, then I believe you shouldn't have gone on vacation to begin with.

I think, with some people (and you may NOT fall into this category), it boils down to control. They have to micro-manage. They don't ensure that the business can operate properly in their absence because doing so would mean that they are no longer irreplaceable. It's a great ego boost to feel that way.

I love what i do. I spend way to much time doing what I do. I go away to spend time with the family. However when they are either at the spa or in the pool or doing an activity that I dispise then why not check in on work. See what the days sales were. See whats on order etc.... So I do have it "both ways" Go on vacation spend dome great quality time with the family and still be in touch with friends, family and work!! Its not a all or nothing...you can love work but also being on the sea. Until I can afford a condo on residentsea I will just have to be content taking a cruise every year or so.

Bottom line...It isn’t what passengers will be using the phone for but rather should they be allowed. Obviously I believe we should be allowed as long as proper etiquette is used.

Bottom line...It isn’t what passengers will be using the phone for but rather should they be allowed. Obviously I believe we should be allowed as long as proper etiquette is used.

Agreed. As I said early on in this thread, the devil will be in the details. That is, what restrictions will be placed on cell phone usage by a cruise line? Unfortunately, it's probably necessary for the ship to set its own guidelines as to what constitutes proper etiquette. IMO, cell phones should be turned off in the showroom, all the dining rooms and lounges with live entertainment (as opposed to a bar with no live performers).

On the rest, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Is the cell phone debate really all that different than the walkie-talkie debate? Common sense and common courtesy go a long way. On one cruise, we had to spend $8.95 a minute to call home to check on a property transaction we were involved in, and when I went to Alaska being able to call my mom who had recently had knee replacement surgery was a blessing. She actually enjoyed the fact that I was able to talk to her as we sailed from Seattle. However, I never took the phone to the dining room or to the show lounge.

This is the key point in this whole discussion. Should they be allowed? Who's to say? It will be what it is. But will people show consideration and use proper etiquette? I don't think everyone will. One, as with all subjective things...etiquette is open to interpretation. I may hold the door open for the person behind me as I enter a building but someone else might not see the need. That's rude in my opinion. To others...it's not. Two, who will set the guidelines for when and where the cell phones can be used? And if someone decides on their own to break the rule...what's the punishment? Put them off at the next port? Or do you just have people doing what they want to do and lots of other unhappy people?

As with all "new" things with cruising, there will be uproar from some people. Hopefully over time, this won't be an issue and cell phones on cruises will be as common as surcharges in the hamburger joint...oh, wait...there's still an uproar about that on RCI. ;)

John, as usual you make valid points.

NMNita

• 9 years later...

I got the biggest kick out of reading this very dated thread (can't even recall how I found it).

EVERY single major cruise line now supports the "cellular at sea" technology, and we can thank NCL for starting it all ;)

What a "marketing gimmick" LOL

I read in today's travel section that NCL is now going to allow unlimited access to cell phone (satellites). It will cost about 1.50 per minute.

My question is: Where does it end with NCL?

There are certainly those amongst us on these boards who think this is a great idea, and there are those amongst us on these boards who think this idea sucks.

I realize (and actually agree with)the idea of cell phone use. But c'mon folks, just where does this issue lie. IMO, if you can't get away from your world without the immediacy of using a cell phone, you don't need to get away from your world. You certainly do not need to interfere with my world by using your cell phone in my (space).

If I understand the NCL policy regarding cell phones, they will provide you with access 24/7. For most of you cell phone users this will not really mean a whit, however for a small percentage of you, a quick phone call to the office during dinner will mean nothing, so you will dial up Podunck, USA and bother those diners around you.

Comments????

I certainly would not call it a gimmick. If you don't want to use the cell phone, don't. No one is twisting anyone's arm.

I don't understand why people can't learn to relax and go on vacation to get away, not to continue communication with work, family, whatever. I remember when we didn't even have access the mainland at all while cruising. We knew, if something happened that we needed to know about, we would find out. We didn't think we were so important that we couldn't turn our business over to someone else and we didn't have TV in our cabins. Those days are gone.

Now that I have said what I did, I never looked at the date (usually I do) yes, it is funny and I wonder why someone chose to re-open it. Boy do I feel stupid!!!

This is interesting to see since cell phones were not even as popular in 2004. Teenagers didn't usually have them back then as they do now.

Thinking back, I took my first cruise in 2004. We had my then husband's mother living with us going through cancer treatment. It was terminal but she was doing pretty good. We went ahead and went on the cruise but I remember leaving all the ship info with the friend she stayed with while we were gone. We were worried about her. I can't even remember if we turned the phones on while gone. I don't believe we had international calling on our phones at the time.

My cruise coming up...I don't plan to turn my phone on at all. I have in the past and see what it does to your cell bill. I'll probably just check emails in port. I need to truly disconnect while on this vacation!

I realize (and actually agree with)the idea of cell phone use. But c'mon folks, just where does this issue lie. IMO, if you can't get away from your world without the immediacy of using a cell phone, you don't need to get away from your world. You certainly do not need to interfere with my world by using your cell phone in my (space).

Comments????

My comment would be that I would think people would have enough common sense/manners to not use a cell phone in your space.

I would hope....

I had a preview to this last day of a cruise in Miami. It was open seating breakfast and this guy sat down and proceeded to to have a cell phone conversation for the entire meal. Ugh! Perfectly nice people seem to throw their manners out the window when it comes to cell phones.

I can see it now, the person who forgot to turn their ringer off in the show, the bright screen shining in your eyes in a darken theater as someone text messages soome else, the person stopping a conversation mid-sentence to answer the phone and say "Hi, how are you I can't talk right now but..."

Yes, it's likely something people want, and it's a heck of alot cheaper than the calls using the satelite service from your room (hopefully these prices will drop in price too) I'm curious though how this will work in port. In the US Virigin Islands and PR, AT&T service is part of the North American calling area. If you're onboard or happen to be passing by a ship in port (say you live there) is your signal going to be hijacked and roaming charges applied?

Last week on Breakaway, someone was on their cell IN THE ELEVATOR. I hope there are some rules to go with this--like NO calls from restaurants, during entertainment etc

Last week on Breakaway, someone was on their cell IN THE ELEVATOR. I hope there are some rules to go with this--like NO calls from restaurants, during entertainment etc

Like I have said before. If someone is talking on their cellphone loudly and in my space. I get even. I start singing. And it aint pretty. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

From a tech standpoint, here's how it probably works. Calls are converted to data on the ship. This is called VoIP or voice over internet protocol. That data is streamed via satellite to some place on land. That data is converted back to voice and put back onto the phone network and the call continues like normal. Companies are charged for both the satellite traffic (based on bandwidth) and for accessing the phone network on the other end (per minute). Depending on where the data terminates, you may not be charged roaming by your carrier as it will seem as if the call is coming from inside the US. If you have ever made a phone call using skype, this is how it works.

When I cruise it's with 10-12 family members. I usually have my phone working but leave it in the room in case anyone needs to reach my family, they have an emergency contact number.

Archived