restaurant reservations on Voyager

poss

In a day or so we'll be able to make reservations for our Dover-Nice cruise. I'd much appreciate being reminded of which days it makes more sense to stick with Compass Rose, which to book elsewhere. Would also appreciate feedback from recent Voyager cruisers about which of the alternate restaurants they most enjoyed. (By the way, if it makes a difference, we won't be taking formal wear-- just tie and jacket.)

Thanks much-- we're so looking forward to this cruise.

Poss, I have found that normally the best dinners in Compass Rose are usually on formal nights. I'm not real big on Signatures or Latitudes (just me) though we go there just for a change of pace sometimes. We usually go to Signatures on an informal night since a jacket is required for men anyway.

I also love La Veranda. The food there is always great. Compass Rose still remains my favorite!

Don't forget, you can always special order anything you want the night before for the following night in Compass Rose. We do many special orders when we have a taste for something or are eating at a large table and want a certain "theme"

I'm not a veteran like Petlover, but I agree about La Veranda. It's a very pleasant alternative, and is always more casual, and you don't need to book in advance--I believe they have two menus, alternating. Try Signatures for sure. My one experience at Latitudes was just alright--we live in a very multicultural city with lots of dining options, and I didn't see anything particularly new or wonderful about the Asian food they served.

Poss, I agree with Marcie about formal nights being best in CR! The first formal night will be the Captain's Welcome party with great menu in CR. However, you have only one of them! I would say that the 2 informal nights (for which you are already taking proper attire) would be the nights of the Seven Seas Society party, and the Captain's Farewell party, both of which usually have special menus in CR. Perhaps you could use the Formal night to dine en suite! Then you will never miss a CR dinner with a "special" menu. I always book Signatures on an Informal night if possible, as that is required dress code. I did this itinerary in 2004 and loved it!

Thanks so much, everyone. Lots of good info and detail (as always).

jhp: If I understand you correctly, when we order dinner en suite on formal night, we'll be getting the same meal as if we were in CR, is that correct? I guess we'll need to let them know in advance which of the options we'd prefer? or not until dinner time that night? Also: if we do Signatures on an informal night (since we'd want jacket no matter in which restaurant), that means we'd miss one of the "special" CR dinners, is that correct?

By the way, when I called up the dining reservation site, to familiarize myself with it, the only night that Signatures is ALREADY booked full is the last night of the cruise. Interesting....

Less than a month to go! (Now if we were only getting there without flying BA into Heathrow....)

Thanks again, all.

Poss, yes, you can order straight from CR menu any evening for en suite dining. Menus are available each morning from the TV in the cabin. No need to let them know in advance, you just call room service. Caveat: no matter what you read on the website, my experience is that they bring everything at once, not course by course. (I eat in maybe once every other cruise one night only). So, if I want a desert that has ice cream or the like, I don't order that until after dinner, separately. You will get your soup, salad and entree all on the same tray. Perhaps if you request differently you will be accommodated. This is just my experience from the very few times I have done it. (I never order more than 3 courses other than desert, however).

If then you don't want to put on a jacket for dinner, yes, you will relinquish a night in CR in favor of Signatures on one of the informal nights. But hey, you brought that jacket with you! I say go to Signatures on another night, as it is a special experience for most cruisers, just for a change, if you like the menu. I only like to go there once a week at most. Check out the menus for all the restaurants, and make your decision based on whether they suit you. I always book at least one night in Latitudes. Not my favorite restaurant, but the tasting menu makes it easy, no decisions except for what to pick up from the lazy susan!

As for Signatures being booked last night, yes, that is surprising! However, on a group cruise in August last year, friends and I who were with a group cruise on Mariner with our wonderful TA booked the last night, and half-way through dinner, the announcement came throughout the ship that this would not be our last night because of a pod problem! Next night, we had a great dinner in CR!

• 3 weeks later...
I particularly enjoyed Latitudes on Voyager. Signatures also was nice, but if I were going to pick only one reservations-only restaurant, I'd go with Latitudes. (by the way, on Mariner it's the other way around--Signatures was fabulous, Latitudes I could have missed).

I agree. I found the food in Signatures a bit too "heavy" for me. I loved the Asian influenced food in Latitudes; so much that we went a second time.

Archived