Question about tendering...

Drew B

In four previous cruises on two lines, I've never tendered before. I just learned that I will be doing it in Ketchikan next month. Can anybody tell me how long it generally takes? I am not in a suite, not CC, not "Elite", and not on a ship-sponsored excursion...

The problem is I've booked an independent excursion, and I'm supposed to meet them 30 minutes after the scheduled arrival time. I will call and give the independent tour company the heads up that tendering may cause tardiness, but I don't know how big a problem this is likely to be...

Any thoughts?

For Ketchikan, the ship will tender for only 1 hour or so (maybe 1.5 hours) until a berth opens up at the pier.

Since you're not in a Suite or Elite Captains Club member, nor on a ships tour, there is no way you can get off before the ship is docked (with the possible exception that they do tender tickets - but the weren't doing that the last couple months...)

When we did Ketchikan in June, we tendered all day. You will have to report to the purser's office and get a numbered tender ticket. Once the ship's tours depart, and then the suite people and elite passengers, they will begin calling those numbered tickets. I don't see how you're going to be able to get off the ship within 30 minutes of arrival to the port.

I have been on tendered ports before and had independent excursions and I also had the same concerns but the independents are well aware of the lateness of some passengers because of the tendering. I know this because I asked the operator. He said it happens all the time. So just do the best you can, follow what they tell you to do in regards to getting a tender ticket and it should be fine. Also maybe if you have an e-mail or phone number for this person give them a call or e-mail them.

Marilyn

I guess the question needs to be asked - what ship are you on?

Mercury has never tendered in Ketchikan for more than 1.5 hours - this season anyways. Pehaps if you are not on Mercury, you might need to tender longer.

If you *are* on a ship that needs to tender for more than the 1 - 1.5 hours, then surely you will need to get a tender ticket (and on X, its *usually* not from the Guest Relations Desk, but is usally done in the theatre or one of the lounges - it'll be in your Celebrity Today.)

As Mii mentioned, im sure your tour operator will understand your delay. But, especially if there is enough time between now and then, you can adjust your time a bit with your tour operator so that they're not waiting over an hour for you.... I would imagine that i would appreciate that as a tour operator, even if i understand the whole tendering issue.

Hi Jade:)

Grand Caymen? In all the times I have sailed there the ships

have never docked.

Actually, I don't know any ships that dock in Caymen at all.

Cozumel? They can dock. Grand Caymen? Tender every time.

Hi Jade:)

Grand Caymen? In all the times I have sailed there the ships

have never docked.

Actually, I don't know any ships that dock in Caymen at all.

Cozumel? They can dock. Grand Caymen? Tender every time.

Lois, no def tender. My question is the same. How long will it take us t get off if we are not in a suite and not taking a shores excursion? We are not used to waiting. I may have something special planned, but the person needs to discuss it after the hurricane has passed.

I have the same concern, but for Grand Cayman next February. I will be on the Century and have onlt tendered on a smaller shipn the Galapagos and Great Barrier Reef.

We sailed on the Century last November and the tender ships ran all day.

The tender ship/shuttle hold about 60 - 80 passengers and Century had about five tender ships.

Archived