Carnival's Cancellation and Rescheduling Policies?

ncboys

OK... maybe i'm jumping the gun a little bit, but not knowing what my time limitations are (since it's exactally 70 days before my cruise). I've read Carnival's contract but still have a few questions(hard to translate the 'legaliese')

I know I may be playing Devil's Advocate having not heard any 'official' news from Costa Maya or Belize, but it doesn't look too good for either of these ports. I'm wondering if I can cancell or reschedule my cruise, and if so, what are the penalties?

Per Carnival's contract, they say I forfeit my deposit if I cancel between 75 - 30 days. However, I paid in full. Does that mean I didn't put down a deposit and i'm OK if I cancel, or did I put down a 'full' deposit and i'm out all of it if I cancel.

Next, lets say hypothetically(but likely) that the iteniary will completely change... Can I reschedule my cruise for a later date without being penalized?

Lastly, I know a lot of people will say, "just go and be happy wherever the ship takes you", but I specifically booked this cruise for these two ports. I have no interest in visiting the Eastern Caribean.

I know at a time like this, there are much more important issues than my cruise and I certainly acknowledge that fact. I only hope those people were able to evacualte. My thoughts and compassion goes out to those people there.

Thanks for any advise anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Doug :)

Downtown Caye Caulker(Belize)

I'm scared to think what it looks like now...

cruise2006_day5%20279.jpg

You will be under the normal cancellation policies. Depending on the actual conditions of the ports, CCl may let you change dates, but you will be under penalty for cancellation. If they are stopping at the ports, you will most likely be under the full cancellation policy.

Yup thats right, the only way you MIGHT get to cancel without penalty is if Carnival changes the itenarary at the last minute like what happened on conquest. But besides that...you would be undet the normal cancelation policy..

I spoke with Carnival and that's not what I was told, but I am also cruising in a week and a half. I was told that I have 24 hours to cancel without penalty after they announce any itinerary changes. It's also on their website. So if they announce that they will make a chance tomorrow at noon, I will have until Thursday at noon to cancel and receive my money back. Fat chance that this will happen though, I would sit on the boat still in dock if it means I can sip a fancy drink by the pool AWAY FROM WORK!

70 days away is a long time. I would think that they will be back up and running by then. Even if they arent 100% back to normal, you will still be able to see the beauty of the islands.

Also, think that your tourist $$$ on those islands will really help them rebuild and get back to normal... It might be a good thing...

Doug,

The cancellation policy says the 'brochure' deposit amount; so it makes no difference if you paid in full yet or not. The cancellation penalty at 30-75 days is the brochure deposit amount.

IF Carnival changes the ports and announces that before the cruise departs you may cancel your cruise without any charges BUT only within 24 hours of the announced port changes. Or you may re-schedule for a different cruise.

http://carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/port_cancellation_policy.aspx

Keep looking at this page for all such announcements:

http://carnival.com/CMS/static_templates/weather_update.aspx

If the port changes are not announced until you are onboard, then you are under their normal policy. You either can debark at the first foreign port and take the Vacation Guarantee option:

http://carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Vacation-Guarantee.aspx

Or you can accept the port changes and ask for the $20 per port.

Cheryl

Cheryl,

Thanks so much! It doesn't get any more exact than that. I appreciate your help!!!

Doug

Doug,

The cancellation policy says the 'brochure' deposit amount; so it makes no difference if you paid in full yet or not. The cancellation penalty at 30-75 days is the brochure deposit amount.

IF Carnival changes the ports and announces that before the cruise departs you may cancel your cruise without any charges BUT only within 24 hours of the announced port changes. Or you may re-schedule for a different cruise.

http://carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/port_cancellation_policy.aspx

Keep looking at this page for all such announcements:

http://carnival.com/CMS/static_templates/weather_update.aspx

If the port changes are not announced until you are onboard, then you are under their normal policy. You either can debark at the first foreign port and take the Vacation Guarantee option:

http://carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Vacation-Guarantee.aspx

Or you can accept the port changes and ask for the $20 per port.

Cheryl

Yes. The previous posters are correct.

In 2005 we were supposed to sail the Conquest out of Galveston when Rita hit. I stayed in contact with my PVP thru email and the phone for three days prior to the Hurricane coming ashore...and when Carnival made the decision to shorten the cruise from a 7 day to a 4 day and offered partial refunds and on board credits...I asked for the full refund and got it with NO penalty. I had to ask for it...it wasn't offered...but when I did ask, my PVP was very gracious and I had a full refund within one week.

Carnival will be in touch with you if you are sailing this weekend. They'll let you know of any changes in debarkation ports or ports of call....

When the Conquest moved from NOLA to Galveston they called us about twice a week with an automated message letting us know of that change for nearly three weeks.

But, you can always call your PVP or TA as well.

My thoughts are even in 6 months the ports are not going to be like they were, maybe not in one year and 6 months. If these ports are that important to you, then go. I doubt that far in advance the ship would not go there, it just probably will not be the same.

...In 2005 we were supposed to sail the Conquest out of Galveston when Rita hit. I stayed in contact with my PVP thru email and the phone for three days prior to the Hurricane coming ashore...and when Carnival made the decision to shorten the cruise from a 7 day to a 4 day and offered partial refunds and on board credits...I asked for the full refund and got it with NO penalty. I had to ask for it...it wasn't offered...but when I did ask, my PVP was very gracious and I had a full refund within one week.

It was shortened to a 5-day. There were a lot of full cancellations. Also deeply discounted fares. The weather was perfect and the seas smooth as glass.

OP: you will have no problems from Dean, you should be more concerned about any subsequent hurricanes the week before your sailing.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying to find some info on these boards about cancellation or changing dates for our cruise.

We are not leaving till Jan. 08, but daughters fiance is being deployed & will be home on leave that week....we have just been told. She refuses to go on the cruise now, not wanted to pass up being with him B4 he leaves for Iraq.

We did have insurance thru Carnival, so will we get all our deposit back or can we re-schedule for a later cruise???????

I didn't take out insurance on our flights, but it's not much to change the tickets for a later date.

I've been trying to find some info on these boards about cancellation or changing dates for our cruise.

We are not leaving till Jan. 08, but daughters fiance is being deployed & will be home on leave that week....we have just been told. She refuses to go on the cruise now, not wanted to pass up being with him B4 he leaves for Iraq.

We did have insurance thru Carnival, so will we get all our deposit back or can we re-schedule for a later cruise???????

I didn't take out insurance on our flights, but it's not much to change the tickets for a later date.

What about taking him with you, is that a possibility?

Being in the Marines....I'm not sure he could leave the country during a leave....& he still belongs to his Family...Dad, Mom, siblings....we can't ~hog~ him his whole leave.

Thanks for the response....I am feeling more comfortable about cancelling then....or at least re-scheduling.

Archived