Renaissance bankruptcy victim

St. Louis

Not to go off the beaten path, I used my Citi Card in Puerto Arenas for a charge. Once aboard ship, I reviewed my purchases online and discovered this shop had charged more than agreed. Even with my receipt, Citi stated I agreed to the charge by signing. Not to mention the foreign transaction fee. Needless to say, I canceled them.

This board is about Oceania, not Ren. Oceania is an entirely different company, very successful, which received an enormous influx of cash from outside investors recently. Extremely hypothetical discussions about its highly unlikely "bankruptcy" are both unfair to the company and needlessly upsetting to some passengers and readers. And I believe the OP was being intentionally malicious and his/her post has nothing to do with being a "cruise critic."

This board is about Oceania, not Ren. Oceania is an entirely different company, very successful, which received an enormous influx of cash from outside investors recently. Extremely hypothetical discussions about its highly unlikely "bankruptcy" are both unfair to the company and needlessly upsetting to some passengers and readers. And I believe the OP was being intentionally malicious and his/her post has nothing to do with being a "cruise critic."

i agree ...since the OP only made 3 posts it may have been someone who was Banned under another i.d.

Just my opinion

If this were 2003 or 2004, the OP would have a valid concern. However, now too much time has passed for this to be a concern for most cruisers. Any company and any time can go bankrupt, so you should take steps to protect yourself.

If this is not enough for you to feel comfortable about booking with this cruise line, then find one which you do feel comfortable.

Regarding "Windjammer II's" comment:

"But it is also worth pointing out that Oceania is not the same administrators as Ren. When Ren went belly-up, it was owned by Malvern Maritime and the CEO was Manfred Urpsrunger who came from Celebrity. "

Please. You all know who was at the helm when Renaissance went direct and vastly overextended itself. Don't lay this off on the last guy in the door.

Please. You all know who was at the helm when Renaissance went direct and vastly overextended itself. Don't lay this off on the last guy in the door.

I'm don't want to extend this, except to say that is not the way I heard the story, and I would be very sure of my facts before I said anything publicly.

No, I've never been banned from the site for raising a concern. That would be pretty strange of cruisecritic. I think I raised a legitimate concern and obviously some folks agree. After all, this is not a site that exists to advertise for cruise lines, is it? When Ren went bankrupt, I learned from my mistake and so did a lot of others that posted here at the site. And some folks who thought their credit cards would protect them found out they don't always do that.

Apollo who now owns Oceania is a private hedge fund and we all are aware of subprime financing fiasco that has affected these organizations negatively. We also know that a cruiseline is a capital intensive business and that means borrowing for new infrastructure etc. That is why it was sold to secure this new financing because they could not borrow it on their own. They needed Apollo to get the cash. So, if Oceania is depending on the newbuilds to make it really turn the corner into a player, and is depending on continuing financing to get those newbuilds, and the funds for the newbuild dry up? Hmmmmmm...... and some of the same management that was at Ren is at Oceania... I'd be careful...

I'll be slammed I am sure by the cheerleaders...I would think that Del Rio has had a pretty "interesting" month since the stock market decline etc...

No one knows what goes on in the "Board Room" unless you are in there. To be concerned about a 5 or 6 yr old event may or may not have some worth. Life is too short to worry about some things.

I would think that utilizing any one or more of the avenues available to protect one's expenditure would be prudent, regardless with which cruiseline you decide to spend your money.

Not a cheerleader, never been on the boat. Booked a med on Regatta last Jan for Oct 07, bought insurance and used AMEX to pay for both. I feel like I am protected about as well as can be expected.

:)

...hmmm, certainly smells like a few hungry trolls on this thread...

...my 2 cents worth of advice to them, if you don't like Oceania, don't sail with them, and I don't think you'll be missed...

cheers to everyone else,

the imagineer

Imagineer, I think you missed the point. We LOVE Oceania, we just think it is important for travelers to try to protect themselves with bankruptcy protection insurance.

...wasn't really referring to you Benita, there are some in this thread who are known on the boards for their love of stirring up trouble...or 'trolling' for a reaction...

...as for what you said to me, yes its prudent to have protection, but to some of the others in this thread I say this, stop picking on just Oceania, as it 'could' happen to anyone of the cruise lines, given a serious downturn in the economy. If you're always going to live in fear of what could happen then that's your choice, I certainly hope you enjoy it - its definitly not for me. I'm looking forward to our cruise with Oceania and have heard very little since becoming a Cruise Critic member to give me the slightest bit of apprehension. Yesterday is just that, yesterday, if you guys want to cry over your spilt milk then thats up to you. You're being VERY unfair to the current company...

cheers,

the Imagineers

NCL cruise to Alaska on the Norwegian Wind - Aug 27/06, it was great, I'll miss the Wind.

Mediterranean cruise on the Insignia - Apr 28/07 (cancelled, by us)

upcoming Oceania cruise Rome to Venice onboard the Regatta - Apr 13/08.

Archived