All things Royal Promenade

frito58

We are booked on the AOS in less than a month (and getting very excited!). We have enjoyed reading the "All things AOS" thread but we would really like to hear more about the royal promenade. We have cruised Carnival in the past and this is one of the things that we are looking forward to so we would really enjoy reading about what our fellow CCers think.

The Promenade is one of the coolest things on the ship I say this because there is so much to do there are bars, stores, pizza and cookie stand, and last but not least they have a really cool parade that goes down the Promenade. It is a cool place to hang out with friends because the bars have tables set out in the Promenade so that you can sit there and people watch and they have tvs in the bar that play sports. All in all the Promenade is a really cool place on the ship.

We are booked on the AOS in less than a month (and getting very excited!). We have enjoyed reading the "All things AOS" thread but we would really like to hear more about the royal promenade. We have cruised Carnival in the past and this is one of the things that we are looking forward to so we would really enjoy reading about what our fellow CCers think.

The Royal Promenade is just a glorified mall... jmho. They have shops which sell RCCL logo merchandise, jewelry, cosmetics, perfume, liquor, tux rentals, etc. There is also a Cafe' Promenade which has sandwiches, sweet treats, coffee, etc. (which is included in the cost of your cruise). There is a pub with outside seating. Twice during the cruise, they will have a parade through the Promenade which lasts about 1/2 hour.

The Royal Promenade is just a glorified mall... jmho. They have shops which sell RCCL logo merchandise, jewelry, cosmetics, perfume, liquor, tux rentals, etc. There is also a Cafe' Promenade which has sandwiches, sweet treats, coffee, etc. (which is included in the cost of your cruise). There is a pub with outside seating. Twice during the cruise, they will have a parade through the Promenade which lasts about 1/2 hour.

I read somewhere, did a search with no luck, that there were some not to miss cookies as well as sandwiches , any suggestions?

Yes, the desserts (not just the cookies) are excellent in the Promenade Cafe. The sandwiches are also quite nice. The pizza, however, leaves much to be desired.

The parades on the RP are festive and a lot of fun - not to be missed!

The Royal Promenade on the AOS, is great, It is where our friend Shane Tapper is the vocal guitarist in the Duck and Dog pub. A great place to spend an evening, be sure to say hi to Shane from Simon & Heather if you go in

When the DW and I cruised on the Mariner we spent a lot of time on the RP. We walked, visited the shops and pubs and did a lot of people watching. We're looking foward to our 04/20/08 cruise on the FOS and of course again the RP. While it's not the main reason we choose the FOS to book, it was definately an added perk. :)

I am amused when I read on threads the comments about the Royal Promenade being "a glorified mall" .. um, yeah .. but on a cruise ship!! That in itself makes it unique and definitely a plus in my books. I find the promenade a welcome area on board as it is an excellent space to 'hang out' - something other cruiselines don't have. Perfect place to sit and have a drink (alcoholic or otherwise) .. enjoy a slice of pizza .. or do a spot of shopping .. and people watch. I for one, love it.

Glorified mall? Interesting.

Just proves you can't please everyone. :rolleyes:

Personally, I love the Promenade. RCI has a great product and only certain ships have the Promenade. The 70's night is always fun, and I love when the musicians play "unplugged."

I have to agree I was just looking at pictures of it. It will be one of the few times my wife won't have to drag me to the MALL LOL. How cool all that stuff in the middle of a ship. Thanks for all info keep it coming.

Glorified mall? Interesting.

Just proves you can't please everyone. :rolleyes:

Personally, I love the Promenade. RCI has a great product and only certain ships have the Promenade. The 70's night is always fun, and I love when the musicians play "unplugged."

70's night:confused: is that in the royal promenade....

On the AOS there is a "statue" of a man, pointing upward. My DH and I took pictures of each other, with the statue, and it looks like he is picking our noses! ROFL....Wish I had it on my computer to show you....it was so funny...well I guess you had to be there.

On the AOS there is a "statue" of a man, pointing upward. My DH and I took pictures of each other, with the statue, and it looks like he is picking our noses! ROFL....Wish I had it on my computer to show you....it was so funny...well I guess you had to be there.

OMG that's so funny! The other day my we were talking to my brother and SIL about the Adventure because that's the ship they honeymooned on and it's the ship that I'm getting married on....and anyway, I guess one night they were out quite late - er....early after a night of partying in Jesters and got a sandwich from the cafe and decided to spear it on the statues finger. Then they parked their tushes in the cafe and watched as the employees discovered their art - it sounds pretty immature but I guess the employees loved it and couldn't stop laughing. :eek:

So yeh I guess it's not just teenagers that like to get into late night mischief!! :o

Laura

I did Carnival back in 2002, and did the AOS last year. I absolutely loved the promenade so much that I dont think I will go back to a ship that does not have it. The Cafe Promenade is great for snacks whether it be during the day or late night. My friend had a slice of pizza from there everynight and absolutely loved it. The cookies are too die for!!! We hung out in the sports bar most nights, and met the captian and the hotel director there one night...that was awesome. The joined us for a class of water and we had great conversation. There are tons of shops, the parades and people wathcing. We are going on the FOS in 3 weeks and are looking forward to seeing that promenade as well.

Hope that helps, enjoy your trip!!!!

Kelly:cool:

I did Carnival back in 2002, and did the AOS last year. I absolutely loved the promenade so much that I dont think I will go back to a ship that does not have it. The Cafe Promenade is great for snacks whether it be during the day or late night. My friend had a slice of pizza from there everynight and absolutely loved it. The cookies are too die for!!! We hung out in the sports bar most nights, and met the captian and the hotel director there one night...that was awesome. The joined us for a class of water and we had great conversation. There are tons of shops, the parades and people wathcing. We are going on the FOS in 3 weeks and are looking forward to seeing that promenade as well.

Hope that helps, enjoy your trip!!!!

Kelly:cool:

Kelly, thanks for your imput , sounds as if we can't have anything but fun there. Hope You have a great cruise and as I see by your saling date when you get back we will be leaving WOOOOOOOHOOOOO.......

The Royal Prominade was low on the list of reasons that I first decided to book a Voyager class ship. It is now high on the list of reasons why I hesitate to book anything besides the Voyager or Freedom class.

In my opinion it is far from just a "mall". There is always something going on there. But best of all it is always changing. With most ships once you have seen them they are the same all week. But the Prominade changes. Whether it be the lighting, decorations, sales, entertainment, etc. It is different each time you take a walk. Many times we would leave an outside deck just for a few minutes to go take a walk, get a quick snack at the Cafe Promenade, check out what was going on, and then go back on deck.

In the evening we would sit outside of the Wig and Gavel, the name changes depending on which ship you are on, and have a drink and just watch the world go by. Ocasionally, walk over to the Cafe Prominade and get some pizza, maybe some ice cream, walk through the shops.

I could go on and on. You won't completely get it until you experience it for yourself. When we sailed Serenade we definitely missed the Royal Promenade.

royprom_EX_060910_023-vi.jpg

Royal Promanade on the Explorer in the evening:) I love it as it's like a small side street in a European city with small shops, cafe, pubs, parades, it's just a fun place to be:D

Now, thats what I'm talkin' about.....:cool: :cool: :cool:

Oh....that pic just brings back such great memories. I've never been on a ship without a Royal Promenade and I would find it hard to go on one without it!!! It is my favorite part of the ship. I love to sit in the Cafe and watch people. I love the cookies!!! When I have nothing to do, I just walk up and down the promenade and windowshop or whatever!!! We always stay on deck 6 because of the promenade. Just a short walk down for some cookies and coffee!!:D

Archived