weather in alaska

Fred C

The weather can vary from day to day. When we went in July of last year it was 80 degrees in Juneau. My husband wore shorts almost the whole trip. My aunt has gone twice and both times it was cold. I guess it is the luck of the draw. I am hoping for warmer weather when we go on the CC Group Cruise aboard the Serenade 08/07/05.

Misty

Hello.

The best website to check is weather.com and check each city and look and averages. It's pretty interesting.

We just returned from an AMAZING Coral Princess cruise 3 days ago and loved it. Just to let you know, Vancouver was sunny and 85 degrees, Ketchikan was 86 degrees and sunny, Juneau was 83 degrees and sunny, and Anchorage was 85 degrees and sunny. Needless to say we didn't check weather.com for forecasts, and only brought clothes for "Alaska weather" not Texas weather. To add insult to injury my wife is pregnant. But, we still had a wonderful, although sweaty, time.

I've been to Alaska three different times and each time was different in terms of the weather. While July and August would likely be warmer than say May, you might hit a day or week where that's not the case. The best way to prepare for your Alaska trip is to plan on dressing in layers. Alaska is a great place to visit and visiting Alaska by cruise ship is the best way to see Alaska.

Keith

I think the conventional wisdom is that July and August tend to be warmer and that May and June have less chance of precipitation. Those averages being said, this summer seems to have been very warm and very dry and Alaska weather is known for changing on a dime from place to place. Weather.com seems to always predict rain for anything more than 4 days away (which I guess gives you a pleasant surprise when you have nothing but sun on your trip. Packing-wise, I would make t-shirts your staple and be prepared to layer on top, throw in 2 pairs of shorts just in case [we used them in early August] and bring something for the rain.

Archived