What's your opinion on Freestyle Dining?

pezgirl43

We have done both Freestyle and Traditional and didn't experience the issues a lot of people mention with Freestyle- no long waits for tables, for example. The service was very good on one Freestyle cruise (the Dream) and overall sub-par on the other (the Majesty to Bermuda). On our one cruise with traditional dining I did have a few problems- our waiter was very uptight and passed along his anxiety to us, and some nights I didn't feel like eating a big meal but the waiter seemed about to have a nervous breakdown because we missed dinner. Maybe there was a number you could call to let them know you didn't feel like coming to the dining room but if so, I couldn't find it. It felt pretty oppressive to me.

As far as what to wear, we dress for dinner every night no matter what line we're on. I wear what I would wear to a nice restaurant in my hometown. I like the flexibility of eating in a different place every night, or not eating at all, or eating a few chicken wings by the pool, or dressing up and going to the more upscale restaurants.

Our kids prefer traditional dining. My teenaged son says he liked the waiter knowing us, our preferences and he likes the dressier ambience. Our next cruise will be on the Mariner of the Seas, but if it was just DH and me we could go either way.

As my TA says, cruises are not "one size fits all." It's just question of finding out what suits you best.

Barb

• Administrators

As you can see from the posts here, Freestyle Dining (and cruising -- it extends to a lot of areas including the dress code and disembarkation (LOVE hanging in my cabin instead of staring at my carryons in some crowded public lounge for two hours)) has fans and haters. At least those who hated it, tried it -- and it definitely isn't for everybody. As one poster above noted, NCL now allows jeans in all venues except one every night -- if that makes you nuts, it's not the line for you.

We choose a cruise based on price and itinerary -- sometimes that's on NCL, sometimes it isn't (I have to say, more and more I find the BEST prices on NCL, often by a lot -- RCCL has been one of my faves but mostly their prices just send me into shock these days). We've loved our NCL cruises -- we like not having to pack formal wear, having a wide variety of choices at dinner time, not having to rush after a shore excursion to make an early seating, or wait until we're starving for a late one, we like the auto gratuity that tips both the "face" staff AND the behind the scenes staff, etc. That said, we've done traditional dining and made it work as well, and I'm sure we will again.

However, one bad aspect of traditional dining and that whole "getting to know your server" thing is -- what if you get a BAD server? Happened to us on Carnival (years ago). The ship was full, we couldn't change tables or seatings -- and we spent every dinner in an irritating mish-mash of mixed-up orders and forgotten condiments delivered by the most surly employee I think I've ever encountered ANYwhere.

I don't know what the OP meant by hidden gratuities. NCL puts its tip policy right up front -- and most people DO tip extra if they dine in a specialty restaurant, but that's not different from any other cruiseline that offers specialty dining (Chops, etc).

We will be sailing with NCL for the first time in March 2008.

I cannot address freestyle dining from experience, but I believe it will be right for my family. We loved anytime dining on Princess. I do not like routine at home or on vacation. I consider myself a kind and polite person, but I do not want to get to know my waitstaff. The thought of having the same waitstaff night after night on a cruise might actually deter me from sailing a particular line.

:)

Have not been on NCL. Did Princess for Alaska, LOVED Anytime Dining - was able to spend every moment available in port, could go to dinner when we'd finished watching the whales, etc.

No waits.

We don't care about same tablemates, same wait staff - that stuff is not important to us and likely never will be.

We tried the different dining rooms just to see the decor and once there was a wait at one dining room, so we went to the next and it had immediate seating. There were just 2 of us - I agree that a large party could have a wait, but, again, move on to the next dining room and maybe there will be no wait - just depends on where the larger table is opening up.

I LOVE freestyle dining & HATE traditional dining! I do not want to be told when to eat or that I have to sit with strangers.

Don't get me wrong, I have had lovely table mates, but I have also been seated with people I wanted to dump my dinner on. I swear one guy must beat his wife; the dynamic between then was so strained. He was blowhard, pompous arrogant a$$ & she was this meek little mouse who literally flinched every time he moved.

I have always gotten amazing service w/ freestyle. I also usually get the same server. It's easy. When I find somebody who gives me great service, when I return to that dining venue, I ask for that person. It's just like on land. If you like a particular server, you ask to be seated in their section.

I find freestyle so much more relaxed & intimate. If I want to sit with a group, I can ask for a table to share. If I make new friends on these boards or during the day, we can dine together. It's all about choice.

The only time I ever had to wait longer than it took for the hostess to walk across the room for a table was on formal night when out entire cc group of 16 people wanted to sit together. After that we simple called about 1/2 hour ahead & told them we were coming so they could adjust the seating pattern.

PennyAgain, that's brushing Crystal with a pretty broad stroke. There are obnoxious tablemates on every cruise line, so you shouldn't condemn Crystal by one experience with just one couple. The worst tablemates I've had were on Princess and Celebrity and one short talk with the maitre'd solved that problem. That's what you should have done on your Crystal cruise. On the Princess cruise, the man insisted that he should order for everyone at the table, seeing that he had better taste in food than anyone. And on Celebrity, it was a group of women who came to the table terribly drunk on both nights we had to sit with them. So realistically speaking, tablemates can be from hell no matter what cruise line you're on.

Freestyle is our choice as we seem to be so busy doing things that we all of a sudden realize it's time to eat. So it's nice not to have to worry about a set time. When we where in Alaska it was a hectic schedule and needed some time to relax before dinner. We have never had to wait more then a few minutes to be seated and have been on 4 NCL cruises and (3 others).One NCL cruise was with four couples and we did request the same waiter and table, but had to switch tables to get same wait staff.

We live in a very rural area so to buy formal wear is not to practical, but we do dress-up for one formal night and really enjoy it. Jeans is the norm for us, bankers, lawyers even our doctors wear jeans. Each area in our counrty and outside US has their different customs-how you dress has nothing to do with your manners, ect. I thank NCL for relaxing dress codes, we can cruise in a manner WE are accustom to. Many cruise lines to choose from,thank heavens, we have a choice.:D

Retiredonthesea

We hated it. We liked getting to know our wait staff and they getting to know us and our dinner preferences. We think it is something the cruise line cooked up to get more work out of the wait staff by keeping them moving all the time. We also like late dining and knowing that our table is assured. Good Luck.
one thing many do not realize, you can ask for the same table and wait persons if you wish. As for a way to get more work out of the crew, I am not sure this is the case, but I really don't want to argue as I don't know. It must have some merits as almost all mass marketed lines have gone to some form of flexible dining, those who haven't are consindering it. There will always be those that prefer traditional dining. For us it isn't appealing, I do understand why others prefer it.

NIta

PennyAgain, that's brushing Crystal with a pretty broad stroke. There are obnoxious tablemates on every cruise line, so you shouldn't condemn Crystal by one experience with just one couple. The worst tablemates I've had were on Princess and Celebrity and one short talk with the maitre'd solved that problem. That's what you should have done on your Crystal cruise. On the Princess cruise, the man insisted that he should order for everyone at the table, seeing that he had better taste in food than anyone. And on Celebrity, it was a group of women who came to the table terribly drunk on both nights we had to sit with them. So realistically speaking, tablemates can be from hell no matter what cruise line you're on.
Kitty you are right, but as you know, first impressions too often are lasting ones. as for table mates from hell, again, like most, we have had both, but at least with fleible dining you are not stuck for an entire cruise. yes, we can ask to change, but sometimes that isn't possible if the ship is full or worse you can ask to be changed and have the old table mates approach you later on the ship and ask you why? It happened to us, it was very uncomfortable. We got around it by telling them (which was true) we wanted early dining.

Nita

Have done traditional twice, and freestyle once. I am amazed at the people that say that with traditional the waitstaff gets to know them and goes out of their way to please you. On the 2 cruises with traditional dining that I have been on, I didn't find this to be the case. On my first cruise, I asked if I could get a bowl of strawberries for dessert instead of what was on the menu. I was told "no, if it is not on the menu, you can't get it". That was totally contrary to what I had read on these boards. Even so, (according to what I had read here) I fully expected to receive a bowl of strawberries the next evening. Nope, no bowl of strawberries; ever.

Also, I do have to say that neither of us is very outgoing, so sitting with strangers and sharing a meal is not high on our "enjoyment list". Although we were seated with some very nice people, we never felt comfortable, or truly enjoyed dinner the entire cruise.

So, you can see why we loved the freestyle dining. We always ate between 6 & 7 each evening. Never had to wait at all. Not saying I wouldn't cruise traditional dining again, just enjoyed the freestyle much more.

At this point, I don't plan to cruise with any line that requires a daily plan to eat. I like having a set time and place to eat every day. There may come a day that will not be available, but I'll worry about that day when it comes.

I love the freestyle concept. Never had much of a wait to be able to eat. Also remember there are multiple dining rooms so if there is a wait and one, you can always hit another. One other aspect of freestyle which isn't mentioned very much is the fact that you can sit in your cabin on debarkation day rather than sitting in a lounge or on the lido deck for 2+ hours! That to me is a very good thing.

At this point, I don't plan to cruise with any line that requires a daily plan to eat. I like having a set time and place to eat every day. There may come a day that will not be available, but I'll worry about that day when it comes.

It's interesting. If it's a set time to eat, isn't that planning too? How about going to dinner whenever you feel hungry? That's what freestyle dining is. You don't have to plan it, just show up when you want to eat. If you are doing traditional dining, and some activity is happening at the same time as your meal time, you would either miss the activity, or miss your meal. Is that a good idea too?

Traditional dining wait staff expect you to tip them extra because they have served you throughout the cruise. Although they won't chase you for more tips, if you don't give them any, the service on the last night could be different.

You tip at the END of the dinner so wait staff has no idea if you're going to give extra. They won't be serving you again. Most people only give above what you are automaticlly charged if service was exceptionally good. You are no longer expected to tip -its automatic!

And yes, traditional is set time and place so you can plan for it!

I have tried both, and I do enjoy the traditional dining better.

With freestyle, I found the conversation to be the same every night... "who are you and what do you do" sort of things. When you have the same tablemates for the whole cruise, you get past that on the first night. So far (fingers crossed) we have never had tablemates we did not enjoy. Some were quite different from us economically or culturally, to the point where we might not associate outside a cruise- - but I've always enjoyed meeting new and different people and have managed to find common ground around the dinner table.

When we did NCL, on Formal night we were randomly seated with two guys in jeans and short sleeve shirts, while we were dressed to the nines. Not saying it wouldn't happen in traditional dining rooms, but I at least felt NCL should make an effort to seat the formal participants together and the more casual crowd together as well.

It's interesting. If it's a set time to eat, isn't that planning too? How about going to dinner whenever you feel hungry? That's what freestyle dining is. You don't have to plan it, just show up when you want to eat. If you are doing traditional dining, and some activity is happening at the same time as your meal time, you would either miss the activity, or miss your meal. Is that a good idea too?

Traditional dining wait staff expect you to tip them extra because they have served you throughout the cruise. Although they won't chase you for more tips, if you don't give them any, the service on the last night could be different.

Evening shows which are the big activity for the evening are timed so no one misses them whether you're dining at the early or the late seating.

Not a fan of freestyle but will not say I'll never do it again but I will say that on the cruise with freestyle, we missed evening shows because we waited so long to get seated. Another night we had to go to the show first, because of the wait for dinner, then didn't finish dinner til 10:00.

Have NEVER seen the service any different on the last night than any of the previous nights.

Everyone will NEVER agree on this subject. Which one is better? Whatever works for you

:confused: I get it that you prefer traditional dining, but I don't understand "requires a daily plan to eat." What do you mean by that?

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say. What is a daily plan? the great thing about Freestyle is eating at what ever time suits you. That is why HAL has followed Princess and NCL plus other lines are considering freestyle in some form. I would rather decide if I want to eat at 6:30 tonight and 9pm tomorrow night than know I am forced to dine at the same time nightly. Regardless traditional is for many people and that is fine, it is your statement that is confusing me.

Nita

I have tried both, and I do enjoy the traditional dining better.

With freestyle, I found the conversation to be the same every night... "who are you and what do you do" sort of things. When you have the same tablemates for the whole cruise, you get past that on the first night. So far (fingers crossed) we have never had tablemates we did not enjoy. Some were quite different from us economically or culturally, to the point where we might not associate outside a cruise- - but I've always enjoyed meeting new and different people and have managed to find common ground around the dinner table.

When we did NCL, on Formal night we were randomly seated with two guys in jeans and short sleeve shirts, while we were dressed to the nines. Not saying it wouldn't happen in traditional dining rooms, but I at least felt NCL should make an effort to seat the formal participants together and the more casual crowd together as well.

you have been lucky, let me say that. As for the usual conversation I agree but freestyle is so much more than who is sitting with you tonight. I see you have only cruised the Sea, that certainly was a ship with lots of old memories, but not true freestyle Freestyle isn't only eating when you want and with whom you want but the choice of dining establishments.

Nita

I prefer freestyle because I'm not a "dress-up guy".

Worked in management positions all my employment life and refuse to wear coats and ties and such.

And a conversation with a working person is preferable to me than one with a stuffed shirt.

And I wear jeans, might say a four letter word occasionally and am not a phoney.

Just my $0.10.

Jim

Jim - a great descripton of freestyle dining and cruising and the best reason as to why I do not care for it.

Sailed the Sun last April and never waited more than 5 minutes for a table. Basically just like going to a nice restaurant on land. No set server, but if you wanted a specific server you could request to be sat in their section, although it may require a wait in that case. No set dining partners, but you could request a table just for your party, or ask to be sat with other passengers (who have already agreed to sit with "strangers").

No "hidden" charges, just the flat $ per person per day deal that's charged to your account.

I loved being able to just show up for dinner whenever I felt like it.

Nope, with traditional dining, there's no planning required, I know when I'm supposed to be there, so no extra planning required, other than if for some reason I didn't want to eat in the DR, then I go to the buffet whenever I want to. I don't want to show up and then have to wait for a table, nor do I want to have to put in a daily reservation. My experience in 4 cruises, no one has "expected" an extra tip, nor has anyone checked the envelope to see what I tipped them, and the service on the last day is comparable or better than any other day.

:confused: I get it that you prefer traditional dining, but I don't understand "requires a daily plan to eat." What do you mean by that?

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say. What is a daily plan? the great thing about Freestyle is eating at what ever time suits you. That is why HAL has followed Princess and NCL plus other lines are considering freestyle in some form. I would rather decide if I want to eat at 6:30 tonight and 9pm tomorrow night than know I am forced to dine at the same time nightly. Regardless traditional is for many people and that is fine, it is your statement that is confusing me.

Nita

See above, I don't want to have to show up and wait for a table, or go through the hassle of making a daily reservation. It's just my personal desire, if you like freestyle or anytime, that's great, I don't want it, and will choose a line where I don't have to deal with it. Happy cruising everyone.

i didn't have to plan anything or wait for a table...just worked it like i do at home..going out to dinner. got hungry, went to restaurants..greeted by hostess, seated...ordered dinner. ate. got up ..went to show. no big deal! early or late dinning is fine, just not something i would go out of my way for...not anymore. i can dress up with the best of them, just don't want to if i don't have to. thank goodness for NCL. frankly, if you feel like you have to plan it, you are working the system WAY too much.

Archived