FT. Lauderdale Rental Car

ISLANDFAN

We always use Hertz...their Ft. Lauderdale airport location is really "off airport" acrosee I-95 near the cruise terminal, and they have two free shuttle drops-the airport or the cruise terminal. They will also pick you up after the cruise if you are renting a car after the cruise.

I think a number of the car rental companies have shuttles to the cruise port rather than rental car drop off at the port. As I recall, we used Thrifty last February, and that is what they did.

I use Budget because they allow you to pick up at the airport and drop off at the location on 17th Street, just across 17th Street from the entry to Port Everglades. They have a shuttle van that will take you to the ship. But, I've also just dropped the hubby and the bags at the ship, then dropped the car and walked back to the ship (mostly because I just didn't feel like waiting for the shuttle van to come back.) ;)

But, you'll have plenty of options. Many other car rental companies do offer shuttles to the port from their airport locations, especially.

Enjoy your cruise. We did the Eastern Caribbean on the CB last December and had a great time. She's a fantastic ship!

We're recently back from the CB 8/12 - 8/19. We used Avis. Picked the car up at the airport and on day of sailing, DH dropped us off at the port and returned car to the airport where an Avis representative immediately hopped in the rental car with my DH and took him right back to the ship...very convenient.

We did a lot of checking and there is not one car rental agency at Port Everglades, unfortunately.

I use Budget because they allow you to pick up at the airport and drop off at the location on 17th Street, just across 17th Street from the entry to Port Everglades. They have a shuttle van that will take you to the ship. But, I've also just dropped the hubby and the bags at the ship, then dropped the car and walked back to the ship (mostly because I just didn't feel like waiting for the shuttle van to come back.) ;)

But, you'll have plenty of options. Many other car rental companies do offer shuttles to the port from their airport locations, especially.

Enjoy your cruise. We did the Eastern Caribbean on the CB last December and had a great time. She's a fantastic ship!

Did you feel safe walking back by yourself? I am thinking of dropping hubby and the bags as well and was going to take the shuttle but if it takes a while I don't mind the walk.

Sunsetbeachgal - I don't know how long ago you rented from Hertz. Hertz as well as most of the other major rental car companies are now located in a "unified" location on airport grounds across from the terminals. A shuttle bus will pick you up at the terminal for drop off. There is also another shuttle bus to take you from the rental location to the port. The bus has plenty of room for bags, etc.:)

Did you feel safe walking back by yourself? I am thinking of dropping hubby and the bags as well and was going to take the shuttle but if it takes a while I don't mind the walk.

Oh yes, I felt perfectly safe, but it was also about 11:00 a.m. on a Sunday. The walk was only about 10 minutes, but I do note that this was because our ship was docked at the location nearest the 17th Street Causeway and entrance to the Port. If the ship is docked at any one of about a half dozen locations further into the port, it would be quite a hike. And, as I said, Budget does have a shuttle service to the port. I was just impatient to get to the ship and it was a nice day this past trip in particular, so I walked.

I have also done as others have mentioned, as well, and returned the car to the airport and taken a shuttle (or even a cab) to the Port. They're very close.

Oh, and if I may offer a piece of advice for anyone dropping people and luggage off and then dropping the car -- or even people entering the Port, in general -- the Port Everglades entrance from the 17th St. is actually usually the most backed-up. The other entrance(s) nearer the airport (24th St, maybe?) usually have shorter lines at the check point.

Again, happy cruising everyone!

Archived