Are You Possesive of your Table Chair?

MrPete

did 25 cruzes on one vessel..so I spent 124 nights in the same chair/position..table..now that there is a new ship..I am at the same table position/chair.. I did research, and got the new re-fit schematic from the MD's puter... I am verrry satisfied...I have a hearing prob..and it is a good position for me, in the DR as well as aisle..hearing impaired since 2y/o..I have learned to position myself in a theater, room, table,home or restaurant, that gives me optimum hearing in my good ear...I even tell the wait staff to please come to my left then I wont have "whiplash". And also, I'm a huge creature of habit :)

Wow! Mr. Pete, you must be bored digging this one up. :D We are mix it up people at the long tables. Round ones not so much. We like to get to meet the other folks at our table. Don't like anytime dining, don't like different tablemates each night and definately don't like different wait staff every night.

I was trying to figure out how this thread was revived after 2+ years, lol.

I'm a creature of habit, DH, not so much. Our last cruise, we had a rectangular table of 8 near the window with 2 other honeymooning couples. On our past cruises, we've offered to switch the window seat halfway through, but on this one, it was dark by the time dinner was served so it didn't matter, but we offered anyways.

One of the couples was friends with yet a 4th honeymooning couple (not previously planned, they saw each other onboard) and invited them to join us one night (they had freestyle dining). Low and behold, when DH and I arrived, they were in our seats. I was annoyed, DH wasn't - I spent the next day huffing that we had to be early to dinner to get 'our' seats, DH was rolling his eyes at me. Turns out they preferred the anytime dining anyways, but it really made me realize how anal I can be, lol.

Round tables don't bother me so much - it seems the chairs shift throughout the day anyways.

When we cruise as a "group", there are seven of us, so we fill a table and we all must be creatures of habit as well becasue we always use the same chair.

When we cruise alone, we always get a table for 2, so also have the same chair every night.

I do get a kick out of those that line up at the MDR door way early and wait for the doors to open. I always joked that maybe they were worried someone was going to get their chair. Maybe they ARE....:rolleyes:

My wife and I like to sit in the same chair each night - when possible. Typically, the first night everyone doesn't show up. And so on the second night, if the "newcomers" have arrived before we do and taken the seats we had on night 1, we pick different ones. Can't imagine making a stink about it.

Usually, I like to sit in the same seat each night. But on my last cruise, we had a table of 6, all women traveling in pairs. Even though we only had about 15 minutes before it got dark, usually whoever got there first would take the window and we would all fill in. We all got along great, best tablemates ever! We even tried to confuse the waiter on the second night but he already knew us all by name. It will be hard to top the dining experience I had on that cruise!

Maybe I'm the odd one, but I hate it on subsequent nights where you get to your table, and one of your tablemates are sitting in your chair.

Am I alone?

No you aren't alone. I pick my seat, and that is my seat. Another thing, the wait staff get use to people in the same seats also. The one time our whole table decided to change seats for fun, our waiters came to the table and said that everything was going to be thrown off for them. The next night we returned to our regular seats, and they said all was right with the world.:) We had really great waiters that cruise.

Doesn't it make it easier for the dining team for the passengers to sit in the same chair each night?

If it doesn't I guess I'm one of those "my chair" people!:)

We had a group of six at one table. We would actually mix up on purpose to check and see if the waiters really knew our names or were memorizing the name on the seat. Ours were good. They not only called us by our correct names, but told us we were sitting in the wrong seats and where we usually sat.

we were at a table for 4. our tablemates got there first on the first night and got the good seats (facing the door) we pretty much stuck to those seats for the rest of the cruise. I like facing the door but was ok enough not to switch. creatures of habit

The people that arrive at the table first on night 1, get to pick their seats for that night only. Night 2 is a new game. And so on. Has does an early arrival on night 1 endow one with ANY rights for the rest of the cruise?

I've never really thought about it, so I guess I'm one that welcomes a change. I was just thinking that on our upcoming cruise I would be sure to ask our tablemates which they prefer, but remembered we have my time dining so it shouldn't be an issue.

Quick story: As often as possible we take my DW's grandmother to church. It's a small congregation, usually less then 50 attending. The last time when we arrived there was a young family sitting in 'her' pew. She had no problem asking them if they wouldn't mind moving! They kindly obliged as I quietly slid UNDER the pew :) She was very sweet about it and at 91, I guess she can be excused !

Isn't this a fun question? I really never think much about 'my seat' in the DR however thinking back... I always sit in the same seat too. I guess I need to ask: does it make it more difficult for the waiters to have people changing their seats at a table (esp a larger one)? Also... would it irritate my tablemates to the point where they would be upset for the remainder of the cruise while at dinner? (I do so enjoy conversing with people so it would sadden me if people wouldn't talk to us because of something so minor.) So my answer is I guess it's no big deal one way or the other, however, if I would ever be fortunate enough to be by a window... it might be hard to give that up! HEE HEE!

I am also a creature of habit, and if given a choice would like to keep "my" chair, however as long as I am cruising solo, I dont get too upset about sitting in a different one. When I travel with a group, though I like to keep our regular places. Again, I dont get very upset if this doesnt work out every night. But I do think that it might help the waiters if everyone keeps there original place. I once had a waiter who noticed I was left handed and on the first night I moved forks and knives to my liking, and after the first night, he had always placed my forks, knives and water glass to accomodate my little "quirk". I appreciated this, but if others had chosen to change seats, this would have gone unnoticed by me. So, my vote is to keep my original place.:)

We mix it up every night. On the 2nd night, we (whether its just me & my husband or if its us and our adult daughters) sit in different seats. We just tell them..."hey...lets mix it up so everyone can have a different view of the dining room and we can all chat with one another." Even if I have the best view, I will move the next night so everyone gets a chance for the good view. Only once in all my cruises has someone had an issue with it. This one couple of ladies made sure they got there first so they could have "their" seats. Twice we were at the door before it opened. I saw them scootch their way to the front of the line so as soon as the doors opened they were in before the rest of us. Another night, I swear, they practically ran down people to make sure they got there before us. The rest of us at the table switched it up, but they were bound and determined to sit in "their" seats (which I think was unfair because it had the best view of the entire dining room.)

And we always let our waiters know that we will be mixing it up every night. It truly amazes me that even with our moving about, they still know our names and likes/dislikes. Because we move around, our wine might be on the table in front of the seat we had the night before. In that case, we just move it.

I just think is courteous to let everyone have a different view of the dining room.

I always request a window table on embarkation day, which means my friend and I are usually at a larger table. I like to move around each night so everyone has a chance to sit by the window. I have only run into a few people who thought they "owned" the window seats, and that is when we line up at the door for the dining room dash one night!

Only twice we have changed seats. First, we were with a group of 12. 6 in one booth and 6 in the next one. As groups go, the second night, several of us swtiched booths.

Second time was when we were a party of 4 with DD (Turning 7 on the Cruise), who wanted to sit in between the two boys, (age 6 and 3), who were sharing the table with their parents.

Other then those two, we are both trained police officers and have to sit facing the door, with limited people to the back of us, (prefer a wall or windows). It's hard on a cruise, but we both manage to feel "safe" in the dinning room.

Yeah, it's strange, you should see DH and I at a normal restaurant. We both have a weird comfort zone.:cool:

We are creatures of habit, also. Before, I actually thought we were supposed to sit in the same seats to help our waiters. None of us ever thought to move. We have always cruised with family and friends --with 10-17 people everytime, so we only sit with our family/friends. Last time we had two different tables with two different wait teams, so it didn't even cross our minds to change tables. If anyone spoke up and asked us to change seats for any reason, we would do it! No problem!

Archived