Can a RSSC alum find happiness on a megaship?

Hi, old Ragnar here again :D

An opportunity to do a 7-day western Caribbean cruise on one of the Royal Caribbean super-mega-ships has come up (in a standard balconey cabin, no others available).

Question is, after having been spoiled by a 10-day eastern Caribbean in a "C" cabin on Regent Mariner, will we enjoy our time on a megaship (and on the shore excursions)?

Or will we be constantly annoyed by the behavior of the other cruisers (drunks), lines, chits, kids, small cabin, etc.? Will we always be thinking "Well, on Regent we wouldn't have had XYZ, etc"?

Thanks,

Ragnar "Spoiled Rotten" D.

I am assuming you have never been on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Everybody is different, but in my case the answer is yes ( I would be annoyed). I have been in several RC cruises, prior to Regent and I know that neither my DH or I could stomach it again. Sorry if I'm being blunt . THat's not to say we wouldn't maybe go in a "mega-ship", cruise in the future ( maybe Princess or HAL) to take my kids to Alaska. I wouldn't take them on Regent, I think they would get bored.

Actually, last month we were in the Queen Mary 2, which size wise is a "mega-ship" but it's very classy. That was a great experience , eventhough was totally different from Regent.

I’m a RCI Mega Ship Alum that just recently sailed the new and stunningly beautiful Freedom of the Seas. There were many things that annoyed me on that sailing; mainly the announcements. However, I never noticed intrusive announcements on my other sailings with RCI. Nor did I encounter any rude passengers or drunks on any of my sailings. The entertainment is very good onboard. However, the food is just passably.

Freedom is so large that we never, and I mean never, felt crowded. Yes, you wait for the elevators, but we never had to wait for a tender. And the only line to board the ship was in Grand Cayman and it moved quickly.

We have always taken shore excursions through the cruise line and on the Western itinerary we were satisfied with all the excursions that our group took. We were all happy sailors.

Now, for that cabin size. The veranda will be the same size as the standard suites on Seven Seas. However, the cabin itself will be much smaller. RCI ships have outstanding storage and your luggage will fit under the bed. The bathroom in the standard cabin will be tiny with a tiny shower.

Which ship are you thinking about? The Radiance class ships are said to be the most beautiful in the fleet. I’ve sailed on the Voyager and Freedom class ships.

I’m pretty sure we will be booking on Seven Seas next week. Will we be able to go back to RCI? :D

Cruiseluv, we only sail on RCI when we take our kids. We get a suite and they get balcony cabins. The kids absolutely love everything about these ships and have a great time. The youngest is 20 now and they had lots of input with choosing this last cruise and they unanimously chose Freedom of the Seas and loved everything about it. I thought they might like Princess, but nothing appealed to them..same with HAL.

When it is just DH and I we want something a little more subdued and with fewer generations.

We took a Princess Caribbean cruise with another couple after having been on the PG. It was probably OK for the money, but certainly not even close to a memorable experience. We had fun with our friends, met another nice couple, and had a good time. The food was just OK, one excursion was excellent, and found out we don't like sea days if the weather isn't good. In the future, we will do fewer cruises and go back to Regent. We have the PG booked for 14 nights in 2008. Can't wait!

Royal Caribbean has amazing ships - they do the BIG ship thing well but you will be very unhappy with the other passengers. Too many 20 and 30 somethings who think that the best way to vacation is to be drunk with buckets of beer by eleven in the morning. It's not a good thing to be chased away from the adults only pool by young adults behaving like bad children.

For a less expensive big ship Caribbean cruise - Princess or HAL both do a

good job. In my opinion HAL has prettier ships and Princess has better service.

I did the inaugural sailing on the Mariner. Next year, maiden season of the Celebrity Millennium. There was enough on the Celebrity ship to say never again would I cruise mass market. Food was a big disappointment; cleanliness and upkeep were not the same standard - stain on the marble vanity always felt dirty to me. Last year I took my twin granddaughters (and their Mom) on Monarch of the Seas on 120 sq ft adjoining cabins. Those were very small. They were clean - no appointments like soap bars (liquid pump) or gazillion count sheets with feather duvets.

What we did have was priceless - girl bonding time, memories that would be irreplaceable. I had to look at the trip through their eyes. To them it was their Regent Ship.

We also sailed on HAL this summer for a shortie in a Penthouse Cabin. It was wonderful. We'd decided we'd consider that for a local jaunt - Regent doesn't do those short veg-out cruises. Was it as luxurious - no. Some service was a step down. We decided we could do it again for a nice getaway but certainly not a two or three week trip to Europe.

And lastly we did an Oceania Cruise in June and it was lovely - we went and had fun. It was quite nice - not quite as nice as Regent - but some things better than Regent. We were planning on Baltic Cruise for 2008 and we made the choice to go on Oceania for that because our experience was perfectly acceptable. Did we compare - yes, some. But we also know that sometimes you can have fun inspite of the differences. it's all about perception.

After having sailed on the Mariner in March, unless we are taking children, there is no chance that we would book a mega ship. We have sailed RCI and Celebrity and the best ships on either are the Radiance class or the Millenium but again not close to RSSC. Good experience on all but again not close.

I also think that expectations will be very important here. You can’t compare a mass market cruise with a luxury cruise. If your expectations are in line it should be fine.

Sometimes you just have to cruise.:D

Having read the mass market line boards here on Cruise Critic, I've just seen too many things that convince me I would not be happy with them now that I've been on Regent. I'm sure I'll try other lines at some point, but I doubt they will be RCI or Carnival.

If somebody is looking for a big ship experience w/o a a step down in service , I would strongly recommend the Queen Mary 2. It's a huge ship , with a variety of activities, public rooms , etc, but a big step up from RCI and Princess. Very classy operation.

It's a very big ship ( 151,000 tons), but it carries "only" 2,600 whereas the Freedom class in RCI are 160,000 tons and carry 3,600 passengers.

Service and food wise , it was fantastic.

IMO, no comparison to a Princess or RCI cruise.

They are coming out with the Queen Victoria in 12/07 , which will be a smaller version at 90,000 tons.

On the "big" ship, if you are at a tender port, do plan on waiting for at least 30-60mins for your turn, BOTH WAYS. Unless you are in the UPPER suite, which gets priority.

We did Vision of the Seas, QE2, Diamond and PG. Yes, the passangers mix are all VERY VERY different, and because we decided on which cruiseline to go based on the purpose of the trip. So at the end, we had a good time on all of them, but do make sure you set your expectation properly before you go then you will not be disappointed. Example, Roomservice on RCCL, do expect to have the food dump on your bed and the person hand out waiting for tips and run off afterward.

Have fun!

I can't compare to Regent as I've only sailed RCL and Celebrity.

I loved my cruises on both lines. There were always people who annoy you but it doesn't take long to move on and forget about them.

I've been on 4 mega ships - no way to get bored on there, that's for sure. I'm about done with them for now and ready for smaller ships with different charms.

This being your first on a mega it will be an experience. Just go and have a good time and don't worry about what negativity you've read on the boards. It's like being in a big hotel, but there are plenty of places to go to be alone.

I feel that you would not be happy with an RCI mega ship after being accustomed to Regent. The fact that much is at extra cost on RCI that is included on Regent is something for which you can prepare yourself. Do not, however, expect the TOTAL cost of your RCI cruise to be much (if any) less costly than one of Regent's "specials", unless you "do without" much of the time.

But there is no way most of us can prepare ourselves for the crowds and lines that are everywhere on RCI and nowhere to be found on Regent. Obtaining service and answers to questions is also much more difficult on RCI, as RCI's ratio of passengers to crew is higher -- meaning that compared to Regent RCI is way understaffed.

I sailed on RCI this month and the only tender line I had to wait in was in Haiti. The other tenders were not bad at all. I had read to expect long tender lines and was prepared for them, so I pleasantly surprise when things always moved quickly. However, there are lots of people and long lines if you need assistance with anything unless you have concierge service.

As for cost, even if you drink non-stop your standard balcony on RCI will be nowhere near the cost of the lowest category on Regent. I’m pricing the 2 for 1 special and it is almost $7,000 with the port charges and taxes. On RCI a Grand Suite for the same dates costs $4000 and the standard balcony is $2500. The apples to apples comparison here, in terms of real estate, is the Grand Suite and the Class C-Horizon on Voyager. The Regent cabin is 301 square feet and the Grand Suite is 349 square feet. Both cabins have a 100 square foot veranda. So the actual price difference is $8,000 for Regent and $4000 for RCI.

You get what you pay for and RCI is not a luxury cruise line nor does it have a luxury cruise line price. Even adding drinks and tips to the final cost does not come close to Regent. Nor will the food, service, or accommodations. I least I hope so! I’m expecting more on my Regent sailing! :D

Lot's of useful inputs. I'll discuss it with Lady Danneskjold, as she is more sensitive to the annoyances and tipping, etc. (surprising, as she has put up with me for 20 years...).

If we go, we'll just pack shorts, etc., and leave the evening wear at home (easy packing at least!). I may even break out the old beer-hat from my college days....

This is only a "target of opportunity" cruise, to dove-tail into something we already have to do. I have family in Florida and need to make a trip out from California for a wedding, and some other family members are doing the cruise (not close relations). We plan to do another Regent cruise a bit later anyway.

and some other family members are doing the cruise (not close relations). We plan to do another Regent cruise a bit later anyway.

It's always more fun when you go with people you know. Then you are less focused on the [annoying] people around you.

By the way, you can have the tipping added to your seapass account at booking and you don't have to worry about it at the end of the cruise. You just hand your people vouchers (although that's kind of weird too).

We just keep a bunch of ones in our desk for room service and whenever they deliver something we give them $2. Tipping isn't really a big deal, IMO. Maybe I'm just used to it though. :rolleyes:

Hi Rag and Lady Rag!!! Are you going to ship your luggage this time? ;)

Interesting thread. We're sailing in 4 weeks on RCI, and I have definite negative feelings. However, it's a Canada/New England cruise and I can't imagine there would be drunks on that! But ya neva know!!!! As far as mass market, we're booked on a 35-day HAL cruise next July gonig to Europe and back. For us, we can drive to Boston so there's no flying which is a BIG plus for you-know-who!!! He hates flying.

I would say destination isn't important, except for the European cruise. If we're just wanting to cruise, then we go on Oceania, even if it's the same islands every year. It doesn't matter; the ship matters.

As far as spoiled kids, do you not remember the March cruise on Regent?

Go for it. You and the Lady will lhave a fine time on whatever you choose to sail.

Esther

Esther, which ship are you sailing on this fall? I hope it is a Radiance Class ship so that you can see all that fall foliage everywhere!

The kids should be in school….the college kids…..so I would think you’ll have a more mature passengers.

RCI also replaced all the bedding on the entire fleet and it is really nice. The sheets are very soft and they are using duvets. No more unwashed comforters between sailings! The beds themselves have rounded corners and are very comfortable.

Love them, Rag. pwagner2@cfl.rr.com Thanks.

TRadle, we're going to be on the Explorer with an aft JS cabin, so we'll see lots of colors, if they're out then. It might be a week or two too early. I just have such negative feelings about such a large ship with so many people. But since Regent stopped sailing this route and Oceania hasn't started it, well.....

The ships are really beautiful and the veranda on that aft Junior Suite might just make up for the mass market service and food!

We sailed in a Junior Suite on Freedom and the cabin was nice. The bathroom, while bigger than a standard cabin, isn’t much to write home about.

Archived