Questions about Trains from Southampton to London and beyond

mikelan6

We will be sailing transatlantic on the QM2 later in October and disembarking in Southampton. We've already purchased Eurostar tickets from London to Disneyland Paris (via Lille) and the only thing missing is the train from Southampton to London and I have a few questions:

1) Do we need to purchase the train tickets from Southampton to London in advance or can we do that at the station? Is it less expensive if we purchase them here in the US? Rail Europe is quoting these tickets at $52.00 per person. How full are these trains?

2) If we arrive early at Waterloo station early enough, would we be able to get an earlier Eurostar train to Paris? (We were told no)

Thanks!

1) Do we need to purchase the train tickets from Southampton to London in advance or can we do that at the station? Is it less expensive if we purchase them here in the US? Rail Europe is quoting these tickets at $52.00 per person. How full are these trains?

No, yes, about the same, not very.

2) If we arrive early at Waterloo station early enough, would we be able to get an earlier Eurostar train to Paris? (We were told no)

Depends on the ticket you have booked - check the t&c's.

:) hi

fast trains run to waterloo upto 4 evry hour,

they ARE very busy to london in the rush hour if yr arrival day is mon-fri,

book yr tickets and seat resvns in advance for sure on www.thetrainline.com or www.southwesttrains.co.uk

look for advance purchase single 1st class tickets

u can get bargains sometimes, and its worth payin extra.

do not bother with megatrain.com, waste of time in my experience,

i doubt u will be able to get an earlier eurostar unless u r on a flexible tkt.

there is left luggage at waterloo if u have time to go on the london eye which is next to the station !

:)

:) hi

fast trains run to waterloo upto 4 evry hour,

they ARE very busy to london in the rush hour if yr arrival day is mon-fri,

book yr tickets and seat resvns in advance for sure on www.thetrainline.com or www.southwesttrains.co.uk

look for advance purchase single 1st class tickets

u can get bargains sometimes, and its worth payin extra.

do not bother with megatrain.com, waste of time in my experience,

i doubt u will be able to get an earlier eurostar unless u r on a flexible tkt.

there is left luggage at waterloo if u have time to go on the london eye which is next to the station !

:)

odd you dont bother with megatrain, we use megatrain a lot, without any problem, you simply book on www.megatrain.com and get your ticket on line for a fraction of the price if you book 45 days in advance, NO PROBLEMS you sit on the same train , the same times.- shame you try and put people off a good deal

I'm surprised that there is a suggestion that one can reserve seats. I thought that was reserved for proper Inter City trains, which don't exist south of London.

I may be wrong (I avoid these commuter trains like the plague) but certainly Megatrain has a lot of fans - and is worth checking out.

Matthew

This summer I had a ticket on the Eurostar to Paris for about 1:10 p.m. I left the QM2 in Southampton with the very early self-help passengers, took a taxi to the station, got a ticket to Waterloo with no problem and was in London at about 10:30 a.m. I asked if I could take an earlier train to Paris and the lady checked, found space and exchanged my ticket - - no problem at all. I've never had a problem buying a ticket at the Southampton station and finding a seat on a train.

The benefit of buying the ticket in the USA before you leave is that it will be flexible. ie you will not need to worry about what train you catch. It will also save you the bother of queueing up at the station to buy a ticket.

Megatrain is good but you can only catch the train shown. I dont know now tight you schedule is but if you have plenty of time then go for it.

With regards to the eurostar ticket if you are booked on the direct train to eurodisney there is only one train a day so the possibility of changing does not come into it. If you are booked via Paris then just ask when you get to Waterloo - the worst they can say is no you have to wait for your train.

The benefit of buying the ticket in the USA before you leave is that it will be flexible. ie you will not need to worry about what train you catch. It will also save you the bother of queueing up at the station to buy a ticket.

Megatrain is good but you can only catch the train shown. I dont know now tight you schedule is but if you have plenty of time then go for it.

With regards to the eurostar ticket if you are booked on the direct train to eurodisney there is only one train a day so the possibility of changing does not come into it. If you are booked via Paris then just ask when you get to Waterloo - the worst they can say is no you have to wait for your train.

worldcruiser

you sum that up perfectly

just enjoy your trip

Megatrain is so cheap that it is worth buying tickets for more than one train. One for the time you hope to get there, and one if you're delayed.

You have the flexibility, and have still saved a lot over the standard fares....

Matthew

trying to buy a trian ticket in the UK is not an easy task,and good luck.

Welcome to La La land when it comes to booking a train ticket. It can change by the minute. You will be able to book a seat but the train may change or the staff not bother to mark the seats.

When we were looking at booking seats on Virgin a couple of months ago seat were £800 1st Class return from Manchester. Looking a couple of Sunday's a couple of weeks ago the price was £75 return 1st class so guess when we booked seats.

www.nationalrail.co.uk is worth a look

• 1 month later...

the reason i dont personally bother with mega train is that i always find tickets cheaper on thetrainline.com, and they have better avalabilty too,

if u can get £1 or £5 seats on mega then great,

i doubt though u will find those prices on a mega rush hour train to london on a weekday though as per the OP needs:) ...

thats the reason i said to OP dont bother really with mega,,

i did not mean to unhelpful....:mad: :confused: :)

also when i have seen the mega coach its always full and overcrowded,,,not for me sorry!!!

also when i have seen the mega coach its always full and overcrowded,,,not for me sorry!!!

When I have used it there has been plenty of space - and if the carriage has been busy its because the train is busy - the majority of passengers in the mega train carriage are often not megatrain ones.....

Peter

Now, I have gone the other way - London to Southampton. Both times on Southwest Trains. Each time I walked into the station and bought a ticket for the next train leaving. I think there was one every 40 minutes or so.

This was good service and i will do it again.

No. You misunderstand me. I don't let the serfs travel on the same train as me:)

Notwithstanding the fact that the serfs wouldn't want to, you'd still be put in a cattle truck.

If you're lucky.

If it were up to me you'd be in an oil tanker. A full one.

Matthew

Notwithstanding the fact that the serfs wouldn't want to

Matthew - I am so pleased that you referred to them as "serfs". Of course a serf is way above their station in life but to hear someone else (especially your esteemed self) refer to then as such has really pleased them. Your little bit of praise has saved me a week of trying to motivate them.

you'd still be put in a cattle truck.

It's never happened before. Besides I didn't know the Orient Express had a cattle truck:)

If you're lucky.

Of course I'm lucky - I've got nine lives haven't I?

Why do you keep up this facade that you don't like me? I could start to feel hurt

Notwithstanding the fact that the serfs wouldn't want to, you'd still be put in a cattle truck.

If you're lucky.

Matthew

Matthew: May I ship HRHugeness off to you today? An oil tanker is sounding like a good place for her today.

Bettie

Oy you lot - that's my fiance you're slaggin off!!!

Stanley

Who hasn't yet mentioned the small matter of the operation.

Stanley, Stanley, Stanley (why have you dropped the Lord?) I'm not slagging the sweet "little" (:D ) thing off. I'm sure that he's already offered you the same warm place:)

Archived