Taking kid's out of school for cruise: advice?

howdyall

I can understand that it can be very difficult to pull a high schooler from school for a week and I would think long and hard before doing that because of what MrsPete mentioned. Unless your child is good at being able to take the text book and teach themselves it's real hard to have them learn the materials and it can be real hard to help them in things like math. Sorry I know I took trig but I don't remember it.

I still don't know what I will do in Elementary school and I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it, but what I do know is no matter what age my child is if I ask the teacher to put forth the effort to put a packed together my child will finish that packet by the time he returns to school. But if he has to do 5 or 6 hours worth of work a day is it really a vacation for him? And then is it worth pulling him from school?

It's really not easy being a parent. There are too many decisions.

It's really not easy being a parent. There are too many decisions.

Ha ha ha ha ha Ain't that the truth? My husband and I joke about that sometimes... 'We meant to do this, right?' ha ha ha

I agree about high school. We're not there yet, so I can't comment on what my choices will be like then. Heck, our girl is in grade four. I can't even predict how I'll feel next year. I hope she continues to be a straight A student that learns eagerly and easily, but I'll be keeping on top of it to make sure. For us it's a bit different, however, since between the two of us, there isn't a subject, even through high school, that one or both of us can't tutor.

MrsPete, I completely agree with you, which is why I would never ask a teacher to prepare anything for our daughter. I don't consider it anywhere near the inconvenience to go in myself and ask what was covered in our absence, though. I don't know how I would feel about it if we weren't capable of helping our daughter catch up on missed work, but fortunately, we are. Our system is different, of course, and travelling with parents is an excusable absence here, while I know legislation in many states requires 'independent study' if a child is out of school for more than x number of days. I can't tell you how happy I am that we are able to make these decisions for ourselves. :) (but I keep trying!!)

We are going to cruise Christmas week because my 15 yo would freak if I took her out of school for a week. She is in all honors classes and is taking an AP. However, to accommodate the travel schedule, she will be missing one whole day and 2 periods on another day.

The absence would count as unexcused in my school district if I was to tell them the truth. That means she could not retake the tests she would miss and her homework could not be handed in either. Instead, I will call her in sick to the main office. I have already spoken to the individual teachers and told them we would be traveling. To a person, they told me to call in sick to the office so that they are not forced to give her zeros on her tests (two classes have scheduled tests) or homework.

I guess her teachers and I are in cahoots. ;)

I would not hesitate to take an elementary school student (who is not behind) out of school for a family vacation.

MrsPete, I completely agree with you, which is why I would never ask a teacher to prepare anything for our daughter. I don't consider it anywhere near the inconvenience to go in myself and ask what was covered in our absence, though.

What? That makes no sense. If you are going in and asking what was covered, it's the same as asking for what the teacher had prepared.

I can't believe I am about to say this, but I see what CanadianTwosome is saying...

Preparing something ahead of time is asking a teacher to prepare something that is separate and not part of what would be handed out to the class while the child is away.

Going in and asking for the same thing that had already been prepared and handed out to everyone while the child was gone does not involve extra work on the teacher's part.

What? That makes no sense. If you are going in and asking what was covered, it's the same as asking for what the teacher had prepared.

I guess I didn't explain myself clearly... and you ask why I always have to write so much!! :p

If we ask our daughter's teacher to prepare work for her BEFORE we leave, we are expecting them to prepare something special, outside of their usual preparations, only for our daughter. If I take the time to go to the school when we return, all I expect from the teacher is a recap of what they did when we were away. See the difference?

I can't believe I am about to say this, but I see what CanadianTwosome is saying...

Preparing something ahead of time is asking a teacher to prepare something that is separate and not part of what would be handed out to the class while the child is away.

Going in and asking for the same thing that had already been prepared and handed out to everyone while the child was gone does not involve extra work on the teacher's part.

I didn't see this until after I'd replied to Miami (with pretty much the same thing! :p ). I'm not surprised we're agreeing... I think you're a pretty sane and rational person based on your posts... I just think we had a misunderstanding in the past. :)

that teachers are, for the most part, wonderful, caring, dedicated, and unappreciated.

that teachers are more than babysitters, and IMHO, are surrogate parents (in that they teach, love, and discipline our children).

that asking for a packet is extra work for the teacher.

that taking a child out of class is disruptive to the teacher and the class.

that a child misses more than just the homework that they make up (they miss the "classroom experience"), i.e. the hands-on study, the field trips, and the unique perspective that a teacher brings to the subject.

that a teacher, because of her years as an educator, has more to offer than what is provided on a worksheet that can be covered by us "tutoring" our child.

that child should miss a minimum of class time (if for nothing else because of legal mandates).

However, given all those considerations, we have planned for a cruise next December (2008) for the last week of classes prior to the Christmas break (vs. taking a cruise during the actual Christmas break). Here is my justification for doing so.

My kids are currently in 3rd and 5th grade. We have never taken the kids out of school for vacation or other planned events. The kids have missed days for illness and funerals, but never because we wanted to. Whatever vacations we have taken have always been during the summer -- usually a roadtrip.

We have never been on a cruise -- and it has been my dream vacation for about 10 years.

Although my family is not in financial straits, we are also not able to afford a cruise during the summer or during Christmas break because that is when most people take cruises which drives up the price. It is taking us about 2 years to save up for this trip (which is why we aren't going until next year--knock on wood that we don't have any financial emergencies).

We have brought up the kids to understand that staying home sick is not a free day. If the kid is home sick, that means my wife or I also have to miss work to stay with them, which means it is costing us at minimum, time from work. Therefore, we go to the teacher and get that day's assignment, if possible, and have our child do the homework. We then turn in the work the same day if at all possible. In short, we have taught the kids that a day out of school is not something to enjoy, but that it is an inconvenience for others. Therefore, (I hope) our children have learned that they have to make a special effort to minimize the disruption that has been caused by their absence from school.

Given all that explanation, I understand that taking the kids on a cruise during the school year is not something to be done lightly, and that many people will have to make special efforts to minimize the "disruption" that I have caused by purchasing a cruise.

But I also know that my 11 year old daughter may be out of the house and in college in 7 short years. When will I get the chance to do this again? I doubt that the decision will be any less disruptive in middle school or high school. Therefore, I am appreciative of the teachers who make the extra effort to make cruises possible. I know that missing school should be an extraordinary event. But I felt that it was the right thing to do and the right time to do it.

Disclaimer: In order to avoid any misunderstandings: I know that the tone of this posting may appear defensive or argumentative. I don't intend it to be. I wanted to state my position simply to present a "personal experience" to this thread. I am not attempting to disregard anyone's opinion about the amount of work it is on teachers, or the ethical considerations of calling in sick vs. telling the truth. I am not even trying to convince anyone that it is OK to take a child out of school for a vacation--I believe that decision is a personal decision affected by location, school policy, attitude toward educators, etc. I am not angry or bothered by the sometimes heated discussion on this topic.

I simply want to add another perspective to the discussion. Please take it in the light in which it is intended--just another person's perspective/experience.

i called my son's middle school today and asked what the school policy was regarding this and i was told they are very much against pulling the child out of school for unscheduled vacation.if it did occur then we would be in discussions with the teachers (obviously)

i called my son's middle school today and asked what the school policy was regarding this and i was told they are very much against pulling the child out of school for unscheduled vacation.if it did occur then we would be in discussions with the teachers (obviously)

That's amazing. I have friends in Trumbull CT who are VERY addicted to cruising. They have 3 weeks at sea scheduled during the school year and the teacher/admin is fine with it.

Good luck with the teacher!

That's amazing. I have friends in Trumbull CT who are VERY addicted to cruising. They have 3 weeks at sea scheduled during the school year and the teacher/admin is fine with it.

Good luck with the teacher!

Okay, let me get this straight... you have 'friends' who are addicted to cruising? Let me guess... at Hallowe'en you dress as a pot and a kettle? :p

Okay, let me get this straight... you have 'friends' who are addicted to cruising? Let me guess... at Hallowe'en you dress as a pot and a kettle? :p

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Very funny! :p

Usually I am the one who gets my friends addicted. In this case, this friend was already on her 8th Disney cruise before we went with her in 2005. (She is addicted to the mouse :rolleyes: )

I am telling you, one of these days I am going to switch my ad agency into a travel agency...lol. Then at least I could justify being on CC all day long as "research"...lol.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Very funny! :p

Usually I am the one who gets my friends addicted. In this case, this friend was already on her 8th Disney cruise before we went with her in 2005. (She is addicted to the mouse :rolleyes: )

I am telling you, one of these days I am going to switch my ad agency into a travel agency...lol. Then at least I could justify being on CC all day long as "research"...lol.

Ha ha ha ha ha You're funny too. Hmmmmmm... couldn't you say you're doing research here anyway because in order to advertise well you have to keep current on the interests of a varied group of people... and cruisers are definitely a varied group of people? ;)

My young cousin is 14 and her school district (Los Angeles Unified) is quite strict about unexcused absences. Even as an excellent student, they could hold her back if she missed too many days.

In another California school district, my friend has been able to pull her daughter out of school for family trips with no problem. The teachers have given them packets of work and they have always turned them in.

As for our family, we homeschool. My DH works A LOT during the summer and fall seasons, so our vacations tend to be in the winter and spring. To accommodate this, we start our school year the first day of August. We will also work on weekends if we take a short trip midweek (Disneyland, for example), or if my DH is off midweek but working on the weekend.

I heartily agree with the poster who recommended the National Park Junior Ranger program.

http://www.nps.gov/learn/juniorranger.htm

Each of our children has their own National Park Stamp Book.

We took them to national parks in three states last spring. They have enjoyed the Junior Ranger program. On the Fort Clatsop tour, the kids had to identify all kinds of trees and flowers on the trail. Great fun and very educational.

They learned about Mt. St. Helens, Crater Lake, and Fort Clatsop (at the end of the Lewis & Clark trail). While in the area we also toured an aircraft museum (and climbed into a B-17!) and took the Tillamook Cheese Factory tour. The kids write in a journal about their trips.

The National Park Stamp Books provide the names of the national parks in each area. We always try to visit at least one when we travel far away for any reason. One day, we hope to take our kids to national parks in the Virgin Islands, Florida, Puerto Pico, Hawaii, and Alaska to coincide with our cruise adventures.

http://www.nps.gov/

More on the stamp program:

"STAMP YOUR WAY THROUGH THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM

(St. Paul, MN) The Passport to Your National Parks Book program leads visitors on a path of discovery to the diversity, beauty, and history found in America’s greatest treasures – the 384 units of the National Park System. The Passport features maps, photographs, and text highlighting the parks system. Pages reserved for "Official Cancellation" allow visitors to use rubber stamps unique to each location to record the name of the Park unit and date of their visit. These stamps are great for children and adults alike to chronicle visits to National Park units throughout the United States."

We will be going on our first cruise on the dawn princess in 3 weeks we spoke to the principal about taking our 6 year old son out of school for the 7 day cruise the principal was very encouraging and said that she would handle everything all we had to do was sign a contract with the district which they would acquire saying that we would be responsible in getting our son to do his work and hand it in when we returned from our cruise the teacher as a matter of fact sent home his packet and also wanted him to come back with pictures and stories of what he did during the cruise. The school has been very supportive. So just make sure that you speak to the principal but make sure that the homework is brought back with your child when they get back from the cruise if it isn't brought back with them on the day back those days that they were out will be counted as unexcused abscences. Hope this helps.:o Enjoy your cruise and make it educational that was one of the things we also told the principal that it would be a very educational trip to learn about other parts of the country, learning about different cultures, towns, ships, languages, and the ocean life.

Please, no flaming, but I have to ask. Of all you parents who pull kids out of school for vacations, how many of you actually make the kids do their schoolwork while on vacation? And, please be honest. No one here really knows you, so tell the truth.

The reason I'm asking is this: My sister is a teacher in an upscale community middle school. Even though it's against district policy, lots of vacations are taken during the school year. My sister isn't obligated to give out packets, but she does. She's also not allowed to give makeup tests, and she doesn't do that because she doesn't want to get into trouble with her bosses. But, she tells me that if she gives out 25 packets to vacationing students, she's lucky to get back 2, completely finished. She's heard every excuse in the book, but the reality is, very few parents care about the educational aspect of taking a vacation. I mean, lets be honest here. What education value is it to be on the ski slopes in Aspen? What educational value is there in swimming, playing video games and rock climbing on a cruise ship? And be really honest, how many of you parents really take the time to discuss cultural issues when on a tour of an island? I've been on 51 cruises, and I've not once seen/heard any parent doing any kind of teaching. Not even on Med cruises, where there's so much educational information available.

Please, no flaming, but I have to ask. Of all you parents who pull kids out of school for vacations, how many of you actually make the kids do their schoolwork while on vacation? And, please be honest. No one here really knows you, so tell the truth.

The reason I'm asking is this: My sister is a teacher in an upscale community middle school. Even though it's against district policy, lots of vacations are taken during the school year. My sister isn't obligated to give out packets, but she does. She's also not allowed to give makeup tests, and she doesn't do that because she doesn't want to get into trouble with her bosses. But, she tells me that if she gives out 25 packets to vacationing students, she's lucky to get back 2, completely finished. She's heard every excuse in the book, but the reality is, very few parents care about the educational aspect of taking a vacation. I mean, lets be honest here. What education value is it to be on the ski slopes in Aspen? What educational value is there in swimming, playing video games and rock climbing on a cruise ship? And be really honest, how many of you parents really take the time to discuss cultural issues when on a tour of an island? I've been on 51 cruises, and I've not once seen/heard any parent doing any kind of teaching. Not even on Med cruises, where there's so much educational information available.

Not only did my daughter have all of her work completed to hand back to the teacher at the end of our vacation, but I packed a story book, and made sure DD (6) kept up with her daily reading requirements. The teacher didn't send a book-it reading log in her homework packet, so I made one on notebook paper. Every night while I was doing my hair and make-up getting ready for dinner, I had DD read to me from her story book, and write down on our home-made book-it form what she had read. Before she returned to school I had her write a little book report on the back of the reading log, which she turned in along with the rest of her homework.

We spent most of our trip having a good time, not worrying about whether what we were doing was educational or not (some was - most wasn't), but I DID make sure that DD completed all of her homework before she went back to school. I told DD that I have to work hard to make sure all my work is done before I go on a trip, and when I come back to work I have a ton of work to catch up on. I have to earn my vacation time off - and so does she.

I was really quite shocked (although I guess I shouldn't have been) to read that so many parents who ask teachers to put together packets for their children DON'T have their children do the work. Why do they even bother asking the teachers for the work?:confused:

. . . . the reality is, very few parents care about the educational aspect of taking a vacation. I mean, lets be honest here. What education value is it to be on the ski slopes in Aspen? What educational value is there in swimming, playing video games and rock climbing on a cruise ship? And be really honest, how many of you parents really take the time to discuss cultural issues when on a tour of an island? I've been on 51 cruises, and I've not once seen/heard any parent doing any kind of teaching. Not even on Med cruises, where there's so much educational information available.

As to doing the make up work, we have taken our DD (now 12YO) out of school for two days in first grade (AK cruise), three days in fourth grade (HI cruise), and 2.5 days about a month ago (Med cruise).

The first-grade cruise she had no make-up work [the only reason she missed school was due to a freak ice-storm in late April that caused the school district to have to extend the school year two days to make up for missed time]

Fourth-grade. She had 12 pages of math which she did on the 8+ hour flight, a social studies paper which she did in the airport during a layover, her regular reading assignments and she had to keep a journal of every day of her travel which she did either over lunch or in the evening before kids club activities. EVERYthing was completed and handed in the day she returned to school.

Sixth-grade. She had math and reading -- both assigned one week prior to our vacation which she completed along with her normal homework. These were completed and turned in prior to our trip. She had a social studies "assignment" to take pictures and write a report about the Acropolis (her class was studying Athens at the time). Her reading teacher also asked her to take pictures of several landmarks in Venice since they were scheduled to begin reading The Thief Lord (C. Funke) the day she returned. We got home at 10:30 Sunday night and she went off to school the next day at 6:30am. But Tuesday am she had both the SS and the reading pictures completed, printed and turned in.

As to turning trips into learning experiences -- we do not go out of our way to do so, but as a family we are more interested in the places and history of those places we visit than we are in sunning ourselves on some beach or riding some amusement park rides. As a result

On our AK cruise -- we did a dog sled ride on a glacier and had dinner with five "off duty" dog sled drivers (one was her cousin). These are people who have particpated in the Iditirod. She got to help groom one of the dogs that was scheduled to be flown back up after some medical care. We had read Balto in preparation of the trip. We stopped at the National Park office in Skagway and she earned her Junior Ranger patch (if you have a kid, and have participated in one of the National Parks programs, you know that the kids EARN those patches). We visited totem pole museums and had lunch with a troop of Canadian Girl Guides that was comprised primarily of First People.

On our HI cruise -- we visited Volcano National Park. Again she earned the Junior Ranger patch. We snorkled with the Whale Foundation with a naturalist who described what we were looking at, and brought some animals "up close". We visited the Honolulu zoo and the Maui Aquarium. We were invited to a local Thanksgiving "Luau" on Kauaui (not one of the pre-packaged tourist ones). DD's fourth-grade teacher still uses the PowerPoint presentation DD prepared for science on volcanos that includes pictures that DD took in HI, WA, CA and Italy on various vacations. How can anyone sail past molten volcanic rock spilling into the ocean creating new land without discussing it!?

On our latest Med cruise -- we tooled around Venice (taking those pics for reading) pre- and post-cruise. We got to experience Venice at high tide and see the difference one week makes and actuallyl experience the ecological and technilogical issues unique to this city. We toured the Acropolis and other historic areas in Athens. We went to the National Park in Olympia -- where two very home-sick Wisconsinites invited us to join their college group's tour. DD got to participate in a footrace with college kids on the original Olympic track, was allowed to go "beyond the ropes" with these kids in their college level class and actually touch some of the history. We visited historic sites and museums in Corfu and Split, and drove to a National Park in Croatia. DD got to figure out if something costs X Euro, how much would that be in $$ (or if it cost Y Kunas how many $$). She tried potato chips with oregeno flavoring, and fruits and drinks she had never before heard of. She met and became friends with a 12YO living in London, another living in Brussels and other kids from the US and Canada (many still email each other).

So no flaming -- just reality. Yes -- some parents DO manage to make travel "educational" (and still fun!).

Travel is what you make it. If your idea of a vacation is sitting on a beach, you may not grow (at least not intellectually :D ), but if that is what you like -- go for it. As for me, I travel for the full experience (and hey if I wanted second degree sunburn, I could go to a tanning solon!).

You know, furthermore -- my 12YO DD who tends to be overly cautious and very much a worrywort -- for her travel is a really good thing.

When we were on the plane to Detroit and the plane was running late, she started to get VERY upset. It was a great opportunity for her dad and I to help her walk through these fears and formulate a "plan". This was something over which she had NO control, and never would. We discussed, as a family, what we would need to do to try to make our next flight and to talk about what we would need to do if we missed it. We taught her coping skills.

When her friends suggested competing in the rock climbing competition, she agreed :eek: ! (sometimes peer pressure is a good thing!). She was nervous, but did a pretty good job. (her time was 5th among 12 girls). She saw how some of her new friends dealt with "failure" -- how it wasn't the end of the world, how she and the other girls sitll liked the girl who had problems, got scared and asked to come down.

I was amazed by how easily my shy 12YO joined into activities with 18 and 19YO college students. She was offering her theories and engaging in real live discussion with these much older kids. It really helped her confidence.

She learned some lessons on independence and responsiblity. She is older now and doesn't HAVE to check in and out of the kids program -- so she had to make decisions as to what she would and would not do (and did a fine job, I might add).

There are lessons that are not in text books. There is teaching going on and it doesn't have to sound like a Ben Stine lecture.

Many adults plan their vacations when school is in session -- for many reasons. Some parents are lucky enough to have parents offer to watch their children for a week so they can get some "adult time" together. People that have raised their children can finally take a vacation when children are in school.

I love children whose parents are well-behaved ;) -- we took our children on many vacations -- never during school. There are so many opportunities to travel when school is out. . . summer, 2 weeks at Christmas/New Year's, President's Week, Spring and/or Winter break, Easter Week, etc. etc. etc.

In the past couple of years, we notice more and more children being taken out of school (or are being home schooled) to travel. I'm just asking that those who travel without children are given the opportunity to do so -- at least for a small part of year.

Note: An exception to this would be Disney or Carnival cruises (or other children-oriented cruise lines and ) where the experience is designed for children.

I've posted this before here but I'll say it again- I'm a former middle school teacher and high school administrator in California and I whole-heartedly say TAKE THEM! There are too many kids I see every day who do not have the opportunity to spend time with their families, to see beautiful and amazing places and to live outside their little box. If you have the privilege, seize the opportunity.

As a teacher, I always made packets and nearly always got them back. I had many students each year miss a week here or there. I had one student for 3 years that missed for 4 weeks every year to go to India with her church. She shared her experience with all of us and we were all better for it.

Unless your child is struggling, behind in school or in some fast pace AP program, there is no reason why the teacher can't accommodate. Districts only care because of money. If you have the money- offer to make up the difference- in our area it works out to be about $40 a day (a very cheap shore excursion!). I've seen many principal friends "forget" to turn in the paperwork for a family who is committed to the school and makes up the difference financially.

I don't ask for a packet. I know that in some districts, homework packets for 'independent study' are required to excuse the absences. If that were the case where I live, I would enforce it. I honestly wouldn't want to ask my daughter to do academic work while on holiday, but I would, because homework is homework - which is why I expect the makeup work to be done when we get home. As I said, though, I don't ask for a packet. Not doing schoolwork while on vacation, though, does not mean there is not a learning experience. Homework is academic learning, but LIFE is experiencial learning. Sometimes the two are very similar - such as a tour of the Louvre. Sometimes the learning is just less... academic (I can't think of a better description)...

So... just because it really does sound like an unlikely learning experience, I'll suggest a few ways a ski trip to Aspen might have some learning experiences. How about developing a vocabulary and learning pretty much ever two and seven letter word in the English language playing Scrabble with your family in the evening? Perhaps the parents know a little bit about climate, altitude, and air pressure... and can talk about it on the chair lift. How about just the physical exercise and motor development that comes from skiing?

When I was a child, my mother took advantage of every opportunity to show me life... and I do the same for my daughter. Fortunately, my husband is also well educated and experienced, and if I can't talk about something, usually he can. We DO take the time to draw attention to things that can be learned while on vacation! At the same time, I think things like I listed above are important, too. A whole week where nobody has to go to school or work and you have the option of spending every sleeping and waking moment together... the amount of hugs, kisses, caring looks, playful jabs, and just shared space is priceless. :)

Note: An exception to this would be Disney or Carnival cruises (or other children-oriented cruise lines and ) where the experience is designed for children.

I've got some bad news, Travelcat... check the kids' areas on the next ships you're on - they're all family oriented now. :) During those times of year when 'most' kids are in school, there will still be children on the ship, but most times, they're at least as well behaved as most of the adults on the ship - and often better. As long as just seeing a child won't spoil your day, is it really an issue? Well behaved is well behaved and not is not. Whether a child or an adult, nobody wants disruptive people on board. Consider this... if you make an entire cruise 'adults only', have you considered what sort of behaviour 'some' adults might think is acceptable because there are no children to witness it? I'm not saying 'all'... but personally I'd rather see a child happily playing and giggling than see some guy grope his girlfriend on the deck. :cool: (don't even get me started on the potential language!)

Many adults plan their vacations when school is in session -- for many reasons. Some parents are lucky enough to have parents offer to watch their children for a week so they can get some "adult time" together. People that have raised their children can finally take a vacation when children are in school.

I love children whose parents are well-behaved ;) -- we took our children on many vacations -- never during school. There are so many opportunities to travel when school is out. . . summer, 2 weeks at Christmas/New Year's, President's Week, Spring and/or Winter break, Easter Week, etc. etc. etc.

In the past couple of years, we notice more and more children being taken out of school (or are being home schooled) to travel. I'm just asking that those who travel without children are given the opportunity to do so -- at least for a small part of year.

On only one of our cruises did we see any misbehaving kids. And they were from the same extended family (a rich family from some South American country, from what I understand). Even when we were travelling, before I gave birth, I found the children onboard to be well-behaved. We never considered trying to find an adults-only cruise. We did enjoy a non-smoking cruise (on the Paradise). But we have found many misbehaving adults.

. . . I'm just asking that those who travel without children are given the opportunity to do so -- at least for a small part of year. . . .

I always take posts like this and think to myself, "what if I substituted some other class of people for 'children' in that post?"

So -- would you support this same statement if we substituted "the elderly" or "physically challenged"?. Because both of these classes of people could or do provide particular challenges to the rest of us. They may not move very fast down a passage way, a buffet line, or the gangplank -- impacting other people's enjoyment of their cruise. They may speak more loudly than we are comfortable with. They may ask additional questions, they may take longer to do things, they may need special accommodations that take staff time away from other tasks.

Would you support this same statement if we substituted: "non-English speaking passengers" or "vegetarians" -- they could cause delays and/or take additional staffing.

Would you support this same statement if we substituted "gays/lesbians", "people of color", "buddists" or "people with red hair"? There are people who will argue that maybe these groups "make them uncomfortable" because of their actions or their dress or whatever.

Children are people. Children on cruise ships are paying passengers. You may make whatever choices you feel are in your best interests -- let families make the choices that work for them. If it means traveling with their kids, I will support that choice.

Archived