Major problem for Voyager Sept 12th cruise

tryan70

Well, I’m a long time reader of these boards but admittedly never a poster until now. Frankly I wouldn’t have thought of posting here until I read this previous article on cruise critic http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1692 which describes my situation perfectly.

I received a phone call from my TA (this afternoon—yes the Friday afternoon before a three day holiday weekend), telling me I’ve been bumped from the cruise (even though I have paid in full), because it’s been oversold. I find this particularly troubling because my cruise was only 10 days away, I have an assigned cabin number and have been able to schedule shore excursions and on-board restaurant reservations without trouble or hint that there might be a problem. While I have been offered compensation, like the writer of the article, I work full time (full time medical oncologist with busy practice) and scheduling time off is no small task. To be clear, I was not asked to volunteer to give up my cabin, I was just told outright I was bumped.

So, I am writing, first to get a warning out there, second to see if there is anyone with the same problem as me, but also to see if Mr. Witzel or Mr. Watson can step up like Mr. Del Rio of Oceania did when faced with a similar problem. What did Mr. Del Rio do? Well, when learning of an “oversell” problem, he responded:

"For now let me say this, whatever the facts are, we blew it big time! The company obviously handled this situation wrong, without sensitivity and not very smartly. My sincere apologies, not just to Seesick and Toranut97, but to all our guests who may now be worried about their upcoming cruises."

"This is the first time that I can recall, having had an oversold problem lead to us having to ask guests to consider alternatives. If indeed our employees tried to involuntarily 'move' guests, let me tell you that it was wrong to do so, that this is not our policy, will never be our policy and I will make certain that a repeat never happens again. If we did have an oversold situation, which by the way, I agree should not happen seven days prior to sail date, we should have asked for volunteers and offered compensation sufficient to motivate some to take the offer. In this manner, it is the guest's decision to take the alternative, not the cruise line's."

I believe my TA is doing everything she can. Now it’s up to Regent.

Thanks for listening.

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry that this terrible situation has caused your first posting. I find it difficult to comprehend that this is happening with a Regent booked and fully paid cruise. Yes, I know there have been times when the cruise is cancelled at the last minute due to mechanical problems but then everyone who was booked is affected.

I'll cross my fingers that your TA can be successful on your behalf and get you back on this cruise. I have complete confidence that my TA would move a mountain, if necessary, to take care of any of her clients.

Hello Tryan,

Quite frankly I'm just speechless!! How can they do something like that? I remember reading about the Oceania incident you refer to in your post , but I don't recall ever reading anything like that in Regent forum ( not to say it hasn't happened!). I have heard that passengers have been called and asked if they would free their space for a hefty discount in a future cruise, but never unilaterally. How can they bump you if you had a cabin number and everything???

This is very disturbing. I'm sailing in a sold out cruise in November. The thought they might call less than 2 weeks prior and told point blank "You are not going" sends shivers down my spine.

What is your TA telling you?

Devastating news. I'm so sorry.

Personally speaking, I'm not sure any reason would ease my disappointment and anger and justify such an occurrence.

I wish you the best in having this regrettable situation resolved.

Awful to hear this, nothing worse than to have your vacation ripped out from under! So sorry! It has happened to me twice, but they were mechanical reasons, and unavoidable, ship just not available, and compensation was adequate, but then I had a flexible schedule, which you may not. Aside from the terrible inconvenience, and PR nightmare for Regent, can you tell us what compensation you were offered? Again, I am so sorry for your misfortune. I'm leaving on the Mariner in about three weeks, and would dread the moment I got that call, even if it was mechanical!

Well, I haven't seen anything in writing yet regarding the compensation. But what I was told by my TA is that they would fully refund the trip, pay for any extraneous expenses and rebook for any cruise I desire. I believe the rebooked cruise would be for free. The compensation package is very reasonable; my objection is the involuntary nature of the package. I'm not sure why Regent didn't seek volunteers first. Many people would probably jump at that deal; its just that my work schedule (as well as my husbands) makes it a real issue for me.

Sorry for this happening to you. It's hard to believe with such a generous offer, that Regent can't find someone to change their plans volentarily. I would change....... but I have a flexible schedual..... Surely they could find someone who would change and not just randomly pick someone....... I would be very upset!!!!!

Since I'm on that Sept 12 sailing, I picked up quickly on your post and of course gasped. I called Regent just now and enquired about the situation (didn't give anyone's name, just mentioned that I'd read something on a cruise website), and Regent insisted (I suppose not unsurprisingly) that they have never bumped anyone from one of their cruises, at least not a paying passenger. The agent I spoke with explained that sometimes with "non-rev" (non-revenue) guests or "fam" guests (can't remember what that means), if a cruise is fully booked, such passengers would have to "go." (as with family flying free or very highly reduced rates on airlines, e.g.). In short, Regent's story is quite different from poster's. If the situation is as tryan describes, I'm doubly appalled: for the horrible action itself and for not acknowledging the serious wrong-doing. Makes no sense to me: i.e. why Regent wouldn't ask for volunteers as airlines do (though the process would be more cumbersome, obviously).

Whatever the exact circumstances, I'm very sorry for anyone's huge disappointment.

Since I'm on that Sept 12 sailing, I picked up quickly on your post and of course gasped. I called Regent just now and enquired about the situation (didn't give anyone's name, just mentioned that I'd read something on a cruise website), and Regent insisted (I suppose not unsurprisingly) that they have never bumped anyone from one of their cruises, at least not a paying passenger. The agent I spoke with explained that sometimes with "non-rev" (non-revenue) guests or "fam" guests (can't remember what that means), if a cruise is fully booked, such passengers would have to "go." (as with family flying free or very highly reduced rates on airlines, e.g.). In short, Regent's story is quite different from poster's. If the situation is as tryan describes, I'm doubly appalled: for the horrible action itself and for not acknowledging the serious wrong-doing. Makes no sense to me: i.e. why Regent wouldn't ask for volunteers as airlines do (though the process would be more cumbersome, obviously).

Whatever the exact circumstances, I'm very sorry for anyone's huge disappointment.

A FAM guest would be a travel agent or travel industry employee that is going on a "Familiarization" trip at a reduced rate.

Regent would not tell you over the phone if this really did happen. It is not the policy of any cruise line or tour company to tell a passenger over the phone of any circumstances of another passenger.

Well, I'm not on a Fam fare or any reduced fare or Non revenue fare. I paid full price. But I have to admit your email (POSS) made me wonder if I should trust my travel agent and not call REGENT directly to find out. So I called, spoke to Tara C who told me that my TA had not lied, I have been bumped, that they don't have to ask for volunteers and that Nolan Gaskill ;the head of inventory, won't be available until Tuesday to answer any questions. So excuse my post if I'm rather curt, but I'm absolutely seething right now.

Of course. That's precisely why I didn't give poster's name. I called Regent because I was simply trying to get to the bottom of what sounded to me like a horrible injustice. If OP is not, in fact, a "special category" cruiser, then Regent did something pretty awful imo. If OP is, in fact, in any sort of "special" category, then Regent did not do something irregular. In either case (as I said already), I think it's a real shame when someone's vacation plans are ruined-- for any reason.

Well, I'm not on a Fam fare or any reduced fare or Non revenue fare. I paid full price. But I have to admit your email (POSS) made me wonder if I should trust my travel agent and not call REGENT directly to find out. So I called, spoke to Tara C who told me that my TA had not lied, I have been bumped, that they don't have to ask for volunteers and that Nolan Gaskill ;the head of inventory, won't be available until Tuesday to answer any questions. So excuse my post if I'm rather curt, but I'm absolutely seething right now.

Did you think that I was responding to you? No, I was responding to the other poster about inquiring about the bumping. Your TA would be able to call about you and get responses:) I would never infer that your TA was not telling the truth. I think that it is unfair that you have to wait until Tues. I would call back and ask for a supervisor!! There has to be at least ONE there over the holiday.

Tryan,

I am not trying to stir anything but, why didn't your TA demand to speak to somebody in a supervisory capacity on Friday ( even prior to giving you the bad news)? To just accept whatever they were telling her/ him and now wait until Tuesday wouldn't sit too well with me .

Tryan,

I am not trying to stir anything but, why didn't your TA demand to speak to somebody in a supervisory capacity on Friday ( even prior to giving you the bad news)? To just accept whatever they were telling her/ him and now wait until Tuesday wouldn't sit too well with me .

Me either;) Unless she/he did, we can`t assume anything at this point.

Although we're still waiting to have our first Regent cruise, we have cruised frequently with Princess and the custom has always been to ask for volunteers and keep sweetening the deal until someone gives up their cabin. This sounds like it could be a public relations dilemna - particularly for a luxury line - to become involved in.

I agree with Seahorse that waiting until Tuesday, particularly in view of the short time prior to the actual sailing, is not realistic.

The only thing which comes to my mind is to try Regent again and go as far up the pipe as possible with the very real threat of going to the press with this situation. Despite the fact that it's a holiday weekend, this type of thing could be quite newsworthy as we all know the bad or unusual news plays well...

I truly hope you get this resolved though and have the chance to enjoy your vacation!

Rob

To wait until Tuesday for someone to address this dire situation is ridiculous.

My suggestion is to be relentless and insist upon speaking to someone in upper management NOW!

Your situation defies sensibility. I hope that you are able to resolve this matter ASAP. I so feel for you!

If you have an easy and relatively inexpensive way to do it, this might be a good time to seek legal advice. In light of the fact that I do recall that Regent's contracts state they are to be construed under Florida law, I have no clue what your legal rights/remedies might be. But under Oklahoma law, mutuality of obligation is required, regardless of what the contract language may say. That means that under Oklahoma law one who has fully and non-refundably paid has a right to demand performance by the other party. And if the other party does not perform, the list of what are allowable "consequential expenses" is much larger than what you might expect. But again, I have no clue about Florida, but this is such a horrible move on Regent's part, and such a violation of what your rights would be in many states that it bears checking out before accepting any "offer" from Regent. And the fact that Regent outright lied about their "general" bumping policy to the other poster just makes it all worse.

And what makes this matter still worse is that many who are Regent regulars are retired or otherwise have rather flexible schedules. I am one of them. Had I been booked on this cruise and had Regent offered me a full air and sea refund plus a free comparable cruise at another date in exchange for me giving up my reservations, I would have jumped on the offer!

As we are considering our next cruise and are debating between Regent and Silversea, I'll be folowing this thread very closely.

Unfortunately, Regent seems to have no one such as Frank del Rio, of Oceania, who will jump into this matter immediately and set matters straight on this board before it gets out of hand. At this point we only have the OP's version of events (and they may well be the "true" version).

Archived