Im so upset...please help.

JPerry

My fiance and I are getting married on Monday Sep. 3rd ( labor day), 2 days away on RCCL 4 night baja mexico cruise, Monarch of the Seas. We started packing and when we got in our safe to get out our birth certificates, what i thought was mine turns out to be a "Certificate of Birth" not a birth certificate :( I thought it was a birth certificate. I also have a photo copy of a certified copy of my birth certificate but it is not an original.

We are supposed to be getting married on the cruise so thats why i am so upset.

We called RCCL, they basically read us what is in our paperwork "Certificate of Birth" is not aceptable. They told us to call imigration. I called immigration and they said it will be up to the persons discretion who is letting us through.

Has anyone had any experiance with this. Some of our wedding guests say imigration can be pretty leniant, but i have never been on a cruise so i dont know.

I would hate to drive all the way to california with our 30 guests and be told we cant go on the cruise. My wedding would be ruined

Can you tell me what the difference is between a "Certificate of Birth" and a "Birth Certificate"????? And is there any other proof of citizenship you can bring along without the birth certificate?

Good luck!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Usually the "Certificate of Birth" is just the paper the hospital gives you; it's not an official birth certificate.

It's pretty easy to order an official certificate; we've done it and I think it took less than a week. I think we called the courthouse of the county we were born in; they can give you the information about how to do this.

I'm sure others remember more cleary just how this process works, but it's really not very difficult. Costs a few bucks.

I would not chance trying to go on a cruise without an 'official' birth certificate. It wouldn't be a very good wedding if one of you missed the ship! Better yet, if you've got time, get passports.

Ewww, that doesn't sound good. Can you use any other form of identification / proof of date of birth like a social security card, driver's license or something like that? I'm thinking the federal buildings you're going to need aren't going to be open on this long weekend. Can you look through your documents to see what other ID you can use? Can you check with your parents to see if they have your actual birth certificate? Obviously it did not occur to you to check this out ahead of time.:o

Forget it, I just answered my own question. I went to my past cruise docs and got out the "Know Before You Go" pamphlet and it states:

All US and Canadian citizens must carry the following documents as proof of citizenship:

1) a valid passport or

2) picture identification issued by an official government agency AND an original or certified copy of birth certificate from the state or province of your birth or

3) picture identification issued by an official government agency AND a US or Canadian Naturalization Certificate.

I'd hate to tell you how worried I'd be at this point . . .

Have a look at this from the "How to apply in person for a passport". It may give you some ideas on some other ID you can take or get from your Doctor, Minister, etc. I would take everything I could get my hands on to prove you have been in the US all your life. Do you know any Notary Publics?

I just feel so badly for you, and will be keeping my fingers crossed that you can get this sorted out.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

Hello,

Do not panic. Have a picture ID and as much documentation as you can find about yourself...ID from your work, Driver's License, and so on. Also contact your State Senator and/or State Assemblymen's office and ask if they can have something made up for you that is official. The Mayor of your city may be able to pull together something for you as well.

Another idea is to have a nice ceremony, which will be a commitment kind of ceremony with all of the trappings of a wedding. Then when you get home you can stand before a judge and get it official. Your friends willunderstand that sometimes in life things do not go according to our plans. And they will be having such a good time they won't miss anything.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

The OP doesn't appear to have time to contact any officials; it's the long weekend and she's supposed to be going on the cruise(that's how I read it). I believe her fear is that she may not be allowed to even board the ship and will end up waving goodbye to her fiance and guests from the pier.

The document she states she has is only a photocopy of a certified copy of the birth certificate and I know for a fact that the Canadian gov't won't accept a copy of a copy of anything. It's either the certified copy or the original. Maybe yours is more lenient?????

Hope we get an update.

JPerry,

It really does depend on who you get for your customs official. We went to Niagra Falls this July and while we had our birth certificates handy, we showed them our driver's license on both sides and neither Canada or US asked for anything further. The Canadian official was a young girl who looked to be just old enough to hold the job. She asked us question about how long we would be there and why we were in Canada. I go to other message boards online and some people said they were asked for more proof of citizenship in the same customs booths that we went through. The US side can get really bogged down with lines, but we went at 6:15 am and had plenty of time to show whatever they asked for, but they were ok with just driver's licenses. So it really does matter who checks you out.

Where did you get that photo copy of your certified birth certificate?

I think you may have had a certified copy at one time and took the photocopy yourself--in which case you need to tear apart the house and find the certified copy.

Or, perhaps what looks like a photocopy is a certified copy itself--look for an impressed seal (it may be subtle if it was issued a while ago) and/or registar's signature somewhere on the photocopy attesting to the fact that it is a true copy of the original on file with the state/county.

JPerry,

As a last ditch effort, you can TRY to use the following approach:

1. State you will make a verbal declaration of your citizenship, which is still allowed (legally until Jan. 31, 2008). Be sure to take all your documentary 'proof', including everything mentioned in this thread, especially both 'birth certificates'

2. Print out and TAKE the following three webpages:

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title22/22-1.0.1.6.35.0.5.2.html

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title08/8-1.0.1.2.28.0.1.1.html

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1182351923729.shtm

3. Find somebody to obtain a certified copy of your Birth Certificate while you are on the cruise, expedited it, and have it sent to either a hotel or to a local courier office that will be open, near the pier in care of your mother or future husband. They may have to go get it and bring it back to get you off the ship. Bring your receipt for this service, it may be enough to get you on the ship. vitalchek.com is one such online service, be sure to use EXPRESS service and call around to find a place that will agree to recieve your BC while on the cruise.

This approach may or may not work, but its the best I could figure out on such short notice. GOOD LUCK!

I've seen people refused boarding because they didn't have the right documents. You can't just show up with lots of papers and HOPE the cruise line will let you board. With this being a holiday weekend, and your only having a photocopy of your birth certificate and your hospital birth record,you might have a real problem. There's nothing you can do at this late date, but don't be surprised if you're denied boarding. I really wish you good luck, because you're going to need it.

OK, I read the OP and will stay on topic.

1. You have not been on a cruise, so you do not know the process. 98% of the time, a cruise rep does the check in, NOT ICE, immigration or border patrol. The odds are the rep will take one look at your phony paperwork and call the immigration rep on duty.

2. If immigration gets involved, you are not getting on the ship, plain and simple. Sorry, but all the paperwork you got from the cruise line told you what was needed.

3. Even if you got travel insurance, unless you paid a very large premium to get the cancel for any reason rider, lacking your own paperwork is not covered. The ship will sail with you on shore and your cabin empty for 4 days.

My question is why are all these people traveling to the pier, are they going on the cruise?

If it were I, I would be getting plan “B” geared up. A cheap run to Vegas should be looked into, with the first “night” to be Monday since Sunday is sold out because of the Holiday.

Sorry to say, but these days, the cruiselines don't have the option of allowing people onboard without the proper ID. Pre-9/11, you could get by with a hospital birth cert, or a check-in rep who was willing to look the other way. Not any more. The lines can, will, and in fact, MUST turn away anyone without the required docs.

Sorry, but the OP has made multiple posts on 5 boards. I read this and sorry, I had to smile. Remember, this was posted by the same person who started the thread:

well the latest is that her sister is supposed to go somewhere in Fl. since she lives there and get a copy and have it sent over night. We are all on pins and needles waiting to see if this will be done. My bridesmaids fiance who is my fiances groomsman is so mad at her, he said if she cant figure it out he will go without her, I guess they had a huge fight last night about it.

Its amazing now that we are getting so close, how many people have their heads up their butts!!!!

First this, then my own brother who is giving me away thought they were supposed to be at the ship at 1pm when we told them several times and put it in the invitation that they were supposed to be at the ship at 10am, and the wedding starts at 1pm. I told him if he is there at one he will miss the whole wedding.

People just dont pay attention!!! Its so frustrating!:eek:

jlp20, I just spend a few minutes perusing her threads also. At first I was a little confused reading the titles, thinking there was some kind of duplication; almost every one of them contains some combination of the words "I'm so upset!!!" and/or "please help!!!" I found two separate threads re carry-on allowance, asking the same question. Maybe if she'd used some of that time to verify her travel docs... :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPerry viewpost.gif

well the latest is that her sister is supposed to go somewhere in Fl. since she lives there and get a copy and have it sent over night. We are all on pins and needles waiting to see if this will be done. My bridesmaids fiance who is my fiances groomsman is so mad at her, he said if she cant figure it out he will go without her, I guess they had a huge fight last night about it.

Its amazing now that we are getting so close, how many people have their heads up their butts!!!!

First this, then my own brother who is giving me away thought they were supposed to be at the ship at 1pm when we told them several times and put it in the invitation that they were supposed to be at the ship at 10am, and the wedding starts at 1pm. I told him if he is there at one he will miss the whole wedding.

People just dont pay attention!!! Its so frustrating!:eek:

This is why I would never try and combine a wedding (complicated enough on a good day) with what used to be considered the honeymoon; I wouldn't want my family around for that anyway:eek: .

I wish the OP the best of luck, hope all works out.

"Originally Posted by JPerry

People just dont pay attention!!! Its so frustrating"

Ummmm... if i'm reading this right, more than one person is w/o their proper docs. the OP, JPerry, who started this thread, and who is now begging for our help, AND the bridesmaid, who's sister lives in FL, and who's fiance is a groomsman, and who is planning to leave her behind if she can't "get a copy and have it sent over night." it's like "The Young and the Cruiseless" meets "As the Ship Turns" around here...

Ummmm... if i'm reading this right, more than one person is w/o their proper docs. the OP, JPerry, who started this thread, and who is now begging for our help, AND the bridesmaid, who's sister lives in FL, and who's fiance is a groomsman, and who is planning to leave her behind if she can't "get a copy and have it sent over night." it's like "The Young and the Cruiseless" meets "As the Ship Turns" around here...

Correct. JPerry the OP excoriated someone (I have a hard time following the thread of her story) for "having their head up their butt" because they found out very late that they didn't have the proper docs. Now it turns out JPerry herself doesn't, and for some reason, she thinks we can help her. It's very upsetting!!!!!!!! You can tell by the number of exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's another issue no one has brought up. IF she slips by and does get on board, there will be a problem when she returns to the US and has to go through US Immigration inspection. I've seen those guys stop people and question them about their documents, if they don't have a passport.

It's like "The Young and the Cruiseless" meets "As the Ship Turns" around here...
ROFLMAO

Here's another issue no one has brought up. IF she slips by and does get on board, there will be a problem when she returns to the US and has to go through US Immigration inspection. I've seen those guys stop people and question them about their documents, if they don't have a passport.
Darcie, I do think the hardest part will be getting permission to board the ship; if she manages that, she can still make a verbal declaration of her citizenship for her return since she is before that deadline. Does not mean they won't pull her aside for questioning, but with all her documentation and records all she legally needs to do is convince the immigration officer that she belongs here. They may spend some minutes in conversation about that, but the law does not yet require a birth certificate for a land/sea crossing.

Archived