Diana Remembered

Cornus

It was ten years ago this week that we were on the QE2 trans Atlantic from NYC to Southampton. The ship either slowed or detoured so that the passengers could view the funeral on CNN before the signal was lost. A book was also available on board so that any passengers could write their condolences to the family. It was a most memorable experience, and still is...even ten years later.

It was ten years ago this week that we were on the QE2 trans Atlantic from NYC to Southampton. The ship either slowed or detoured so that the passengers could view the funeral on CNN before the signal was lost. A book was also available on board so that any passengers could write their condolences to the family. It was a most memorable experience, and still is...even ten years later.

I guess that is a day that we will all remember....

How nice of the Captain to slow down so all could watch CNN!!!

WOW!!!!!!! DH and I were talking last night about where we were and what we were doing....it was a very touching ceremony!

And we are still suffering from collective faux grief.....

It was nauseous then, and it is nauseous now. Can't the woman be allowed to rest in peace? Surely it is only a matter for her family and friends (to whom it clearly did and does matter). The rest of us didn't know us, and therefore what difference does it make?

Matthew

I go running in Hyde park and Kensington Gardens most Saturdays.

Today was really eerie, going past Kensington Palace with all the flowers tied to the railings - and a couple of placards that were, shall we say, less than complimentary about Camilla!

Yes, there was a lot of OTT emotion flying around 10 years ago (England's Rose anyone!?) yet Diana still seems really special, especially to those who actually met her. I never met her so I don't begrudge anyone the chance to grieve again - mawkish though it may seem.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6971960.stm

It was nauseous then, and it is nauseous now. Can't the woman be allowed to rest in peace? Surely it is only a matter for her family and friends (to whom it clearly did and does matter). The rest of us didn't know us, and therefore what difference does it make?

Matthew

Actually, I think it was nauseating, although it may have made you feel nauseous.

We were traveling in San Francisco when it happened. I remember that every time we turned on the television in our hotel to get some local news/weather, there was only programming about Diana.

There seems to be a sort of contagious hysteria when someone famous dies. The media certainly add to the frenzy. Perhaps people feel that if they don't show extreme grief they will be thought callous? Or maybe they just want to be part of the event.

The phenomenon isn't entirely new (although now it gets more/faster media coverage). When Rudolph Valentino died, there were lines around the block to get into the funeral. According to family legend, my grandmother wanted to go but was not permitted to do so.

Kathy

I remember that every time we turned on the television in our hotel to get some local news/weather, there was only programming about Diana.

You were lucky:) All we got was faux classical music:(

Perhaps people feel that if they don't show extreme grief they will be thought callous?

Kathy - you are showing a heart of stone if you don't scream and tear your hair out at the great loss we all suffered on that day and are continuing to suffer:mad: (:D )

You were lucky:) All we got was faux classical music:(

Kathy - you are showing a heart of stone if you don't scream and tear your hair out at the great loss we all suffered on that day and are continuing to suffer:mad: (:D )

what is faux classical music?

I guess that is a day that we will all remember....

How nice of the Captain to slow down so all could watch CNN!!!

WOW!!!!!!! DH and I were talking last night about where we were and what we were doing....it was a very touching ceremony!

I was a teenager when my stepmother woke me up in the middle of the night to watch some "wedding" going on over in England! I was like, "What's the big deal?" I liked her because she was so strong willed and didn't care about the "royal tradition" of doing things. 10 years ago i turned the station to CNN and they were showing a still picture of Tom Cruise, and before I could see and hear what was really going on, I hollered out to my husband, "I think that Tom Cruise died"!:D But they were only interviewing him by phone to get his reaction to the news! I actually did stay up all night and watched all the funeral stuff, but that is not weird for me because i always get swept up in emotional things like that! As an American I personally am intrigued by all the royalty things because we don't have that here! Like when the Queen was here a few months ago and everyone was talking about all the faux paux's that were done by some of the americans who met her.

Matthew

I find your post a tad callous. Perhaps you are still suffering from faux grief...however, my grief was not faux, it was real. I always admired Diana and experienced real grief at her early passing.

How is remembering her early death preventing her from resting in peace. :confused:

10 years ago i turned the station to CNN and they were showing a still picture of Tom Cruise, and before I could see and hear what was really going on, I hollered out to my husband, "I think that Tom Cruise died"!:D But they were only interviewing him by phone to get his reaction to the news!

See, that's the thing that annoys me about the media at times like this. Why should we care what Tom Cruise [or any such celeb--I am not picking on him specificially] thought about Diana's death?

The whole thing got way over the top.

Kathy

See, that's the thing that annoys me about the media at times like this. Why should we care what Tom Cruise [or any such celeb--I am not picking on him specificially] thought about Diana's death?

The whole thing got way over the top.

Kathy

I agree, and I think they were only talking to him because he had met her, which i guess qualifies him as her friend, or something! I was on a cruise by myself in February when Anna Nicole Smith died, and I was SO tired of hearing about her!! Ugh, enough already!! What a trainwreck!! At least Diana was doing good, and being involved in the world! I agree with you that just because you are a celebrity doesn't mean that your opinion matters anymore than MINE!!:D

It was nauseous then, and it is nauseous now. Can't the woman be allowed to rest in peace? Surely it is only a matter for her family and friends (to whom it clearly did and does matter). The rest of us didn't know her, and therefore what difference does it make?

Matthew

Couldn't agree more, and it illustrates the collective schizophrenia of modern Britain. Whilst half of the country is being burgled and mugged the other half is sobbing into its collective handkerchief. Regretfully, thanks to political correctness and a wet liberal media the stoicism and stiff upper lip which used to characterize the British people has now been replaced by a blubbering sentimentality. Incidentally, with the forthcoming demise of the QE2, it would be interesting to know how many enthusiasts have booked in for counselling sessions with a therapist? I think we should be told!

Foxy

Yes, but at least most of us have actually "met" the QE2. How many of those teeth-nashing, hand wringing, wailing Diana "fans" ever met her? Especially the "Charles is such a Bar steward" lot.

Cry yourself a river, build yourself a bridge and GET OVER IT! Enough! Leave the poor womans family in peace!

(See her sig lines)

Hey Sheri! Thanks for the laugh at your sig,

Maybe we could start a similar thread over here"

Now this has nothing to do with that ship sinking off Greece. Probably more about the fact that I recently visited the Titanic traveling exhibit. Does anyone know what RCCL policy is on disembarking ship in emergencies (READ ABANDON)? Doesn't it make sense that diamond members go first as a reward for loyalty? Grand suite folks next because they may have paid the most? Do balcony snobs go before inside dwellers? Can you have the concierge book a reservation? choice of seating in boats? Can you book online? Can your TA help? Do they charge for it as an excursion? All reasonable questions. Can your Seapass be used for the purchase of any nourishment in the boat? By the way, on P&O (read Titanic) the grand suite folks had a much higher survival rate then the inside dwellers.

BTW,

I got married and honeymooned in Canada about the same time as Chuck and Di.

That meant everywhere were Chuck and Di gizmos- commemorative plates, statues, spoons, ceramic bells etc. Actually, I thought she was incredible, holding her head tall and being her own person amongst the snooty royals. My personal opinion about her death, people's grief (I think, Matthew, that a lot of commoners felt she was "their" royal- approachable and not as snooty) and all that happened within and without her marriage is that we should let bygones be bygones. What good is it to hate her now...or then. I think she was a sensitive person who got caught up in a world not totally of her making. Showing your disgust now does not say much for the person who does so. It looks really nasty and low-class, IMHO. She is gone. If you did not like her, that is your prerogative. There are those who truly do (and did) care. showing your disdain only reflects poorly on you.

In other words, keep it to yourself.

As I sit here still grieving the loss of my father last year, I sure am glad my father was not a public figure. I hate to think what sort of rubbish you might say about him. I can't think of much to criticize him about, but neither can I think of much to criticize Lady Di over. Others seem to find no dearth of fatal flaws.

RIP Diana

As you could not, apparently, in life

Karie,

who is fully sincere, and saddened

Really sorry to hear about the loss of your father, karie.

I'm lucky enough to be very close to my parents and I dread the day, and that day will come sometime, when they're no longer there for me.

Tim.

I've gone off the Cunard board over the past few days. Too many posts by cynical, snobby iconoclasts.

On a lighter note:

Karie - don't forget we're going to discuss thongs next April :)

I'm lucky enough to be very close to my parents and I dread the day, and that day will come sometime, when they're no longer there for me.

Tim.

I've gone off the Cunard board over the past few days. Too many posts by cynical, snobby iconoclasts.

On a lighter note:

Thanks,

I always said when that day came, I didn't know how I could handle it. Well, Here it is a year later, and I still can't. Something sets me off all the time. Of all things, today it was a comic strip (that happened to be about death.) It's a funny strip that has dealt with all sorts of serious issues, including cancer. One of the characters has had a recurrence and has decided to live the rest of her time without intervention. Her husband, after going through a night of hell wrestling with it, has just given her permission to "go." Even typing this I started crying again. I've been struggling with the depression from his loss at the same time as I lost a wonderful job I loved and had to take a different job (I should be pleased. The President of our department at HQ and the regional Vice President created the opening because they and others thought I was too valuable to let go) Every day at work reminds me of how much I loved my old job and how much I miss my father, who was, especially, my rock as I went through work-related struggles. He died less than a week before I was to be laid off, and got word on the last day that they had created a position for me. (This was the third time they had tried to do away with my old job, as I was the only one in that position in the entire country. Corporations don't like "singular" positions!) Daddy helped me through the previous two, and never lost confidence in my ability to survive it. It seems all of the world is connected, no?

Yes, thongs- Sequined ones. Um. Was I supposed to bring mine?

(A much more pleasant topic, BTW! thanks for the smile!)

Thanks, Tim.

I have been disturbed by the tone of the board of late.

And sorry if I was rude to you the other day,. It wasn't intentional.

Karie,

who is very saddened when people seem to wish to create divisions. So much better when we created friendliness, cohesiveness and acceptance of each others' differences.

P.S. Don't forget to tell them what you just told me, and how much you love them. There may come a time when we can no more.

Tim.

On a lighter note:

Im sorry to hear that Tim, i like to speak to everyone on this board, yes we sometimes have different opinions ,but that`s our right. We can argue over sensitive issues (mines Smoking) but i feel that i have made a lot of friends and im meeting quite a few in 2 weeks time ! :D

take care,

Gav :cool:

Archived