Diana Remembered

Cornus

To tell you the truth, the soap opera that was the Princess's marriage led me to the conclusion that no one should be subjected to such a fish bowl existence.
Diana actively sought media attention. The fish bowl she lived in was in many ways her own naive creation. The royal family could be said to have been responsible for starting her in this direction of course and managed to leave her without the tools and support to deal with it. It was still however ultimately her own choices.

She wasn't the first and wont be the last person in the public eye to make these mistakes.

Nobody is making fun, they are mearly saying, for gods sake get over it, you didn't know her and thanks very much, but we don't want your opinions being broadcast on every major TV and radio channel for the whole of August, every August. Last Friday the memorial service was broadcast live on BBC1, ITV1, Skynews and news24, there were phone in debates on BBC radio 2 as well! Also every news broadcast carried reports about it! This is what is so very annoying, life moves on, we can't keep focussing on one moment ad infinitum. We also had the nonsense "Camilla, should she shouldn't she?" debate to contend with too! How on earth are her sons to get on with their lives if their Mothers life is raked over every August, and it really is raking. "Was she pregnant, was she engaged?" Then there is that Burrell man who is making a nice living, thank you very much, on the back of Diana and her Brother, who is just a disgrace, couldn't support her in her lifetime, but happy to make a packet out of her death. It's disgusting.

Like I said before, enough, leave it be. William and Harry deserve that much at least.

Like I said before, enough, leave it be. William and Harry deserve that much at least.

At last someone remebers her sons! I couldn't agree with you more. Ten years is a long time in a young man's life and to have this nonsense dragged up all over again every few years does them no favours at all. We should all (the generality of the populace at large - not the inhabitants of this board) listen to what the boys have said; "She was our Mum and we loved her, let us remember (and celebrate) her in private." (I paraphrase wildly!)

Gavin

At last someone remebers her sons! I couldn't agree with you more. Ten years is a long time in a young man's life and to have this nonsense dragged up all over again every few years does them no favours at all. We should all (the generality of the populace at large - not the inhabitants of this board) listen to what the boys have said; "She was our Mum and we loved her, let us remember (and celebrate) her in private." (I paraphrase wildly!)

Gavin

This "nonsense" (presume you mean Friday's service and the concert earlier in the summer?) was arranged at the request of her sons - who played a large part in the organisation of both events.

And you're right, we shouldn't forget how they will have suffered these past 10 years, not as members of the Royal Family but simply as two young blokes who lost their mum.

After reading some of this thread, I went to something else and then decided to come back. And I am not aiming this at anyone, but simply to say my piece.

No, I did not KNOW Princess Diana. The same can be said for President Kennedy. Nor did I personally know anyone who died in the tragic attacks on 9-11. I have not personally known any of the soldiers who have died in WWI or WWII, or Korea, Viet Nam or Iraq. But, that does not mean that I can not be sad or grieve for any of them. Two years ago, we went to Hawaii and stood on the Arizona Memorial, and I felt great sadness for the young lives lost there. They were human beings, children, fathers, sons, brothers of someone, and they died an early tragic death. And if anyone is so cold hearted that they can say, I did not know them so why would I grieve, then in my humble opinion, there is something wrong with that person, not me.

My husband and I arrived in London on the morning of Princess Diana's funeral (the trip had been arranged many months before she died). We saw the sadness and the grief on the faces of so many. We walked from our hotel to Kensington Palace and saw the memorials and flowers being placed there. She was loved by so many people. Her sons of course, but by so many, many more.... We saw the tears, and we grieved along with those who considered her their Princess.

Let her rest in peace? She is at peace. That does not mean that others can not still grieve. And if some feel nothing about those who die that you do not know, then that is your loss..... and in my opinion, it is sad.

You all have a good day.....

I think that now 10 years on is the time as the royal princes have said to end it, but by that they mean all the press , media reports into how and why she dies? I think we know something is not quite right and no matter how many inquests and how much the papers go to town still there will never be a result that everyone is happy with.

so i would say let put it behind us and let the poor woman restt in peace, more important let her 2 sons have peace.

as for seeking the press limelight as someone said before, that is nonsense when most of the work she did was after the press had gone away on those rare occassions.

A bit like elevator music! But without the depth:D

What about baroque? I call it "diddle-diddle music" but it is genuine, albeit not classical in the tue sense of the word.

Then again, elevator music is elevator music - depth-free or otherwise.

Come to think of it, what IS faux classical music!?:confused: Can't imagine one is ever likely to hear it on Radio Three....

In case anyone has not seen this excellent film - with a deservedly award winning performance by Helen Mirren it is on ITV tonight. Made originally as a TV movie it grossed $123 million world-wide......It neatly captures the very odd week following Diana's death when, in my view, a chunk of the British public lost the plot.....

Peter

No, I did not KNOW Princess Diana. The same can be said for President Kennedy. Nor did I personally know anyone who died in the tragic attacks on 9-11. I have not personally known any of the soldiers who have died in WWI or WWII, or Korea, Viet Nam or Iraq. But, that does not mean that I can not be sad or grieve for any of them.

9/11

Vietnam

WW1

WW2

Korea

Iraq

Diana Spencer.

Slight difference in scale.

I cannot see how you can compare Diana with the major losses of life in the 20th century. Especially 9/11. That was an absolute travesty and tragedy. Diana's untimely death was not a tragedy, or a travesty, it was very unfortunate.

Rememberence services for all the others I can condone, and take part in.

I personally cried for hours on 9/11 because that could have been my Father, Mother, Sister, Brother, etc it was perpetrated by the cruelest people to have walked the planet in a long time. Also in a way it is my extended work family, we all work for the same occupation and in one airlines case the same alliance. To compare the two is an insult!

A Princess dying is not the same, it is one person in a car accident. Did all of those who "grieve" for Diana do the same for Princess Grace?

Just because I don't place flowers for someone who died in a car accident in Paris doesn't make me a bad person. I feel for her sons, I just choose not to join in the utter bonkersness that occurs here every August 31st.

Did you all grieve for Mother Teresa too?

I personally cried for hours on 9/11 because that could have been my Father, Mother, Sister, Brother, etc it was perpetrated by the cruellest people to have walked the planet in a long time. Also in a way it is my extended work family, we all work for the same occupation and in one airlines case the same alliance. To compare the two is an insult!
An insult? An insult to whom, exactly? Shouldn't people be able to feel a sense of grief towards the loss of whoever they want, whenever they want? What harm is it to you? Of course I absolutely share your sentiments regarding 9/11, though I didn't cry - I was in a state of shock.

A Princess dying is not the same, it is one person in a car accident. Did all of those who "grieve" for Diana do the same for Princess Grace?
A lot of people, particularly those of, shall we say a certain age, felt a great sense of loss when she died. Admittedly she didn't engender the same strength of feeling as Diana.

Just because I don't place flowers for someone who died in a car accident in Paris doesn't make me a bad person. I feel for her sons, I just choose not to join in the utter bonkersness that occurs here every August 31st.
This year was different because it was the 10th anniversary of her death. I don't recall any "bonkersness" last year, or the year before that, or the year........

Did you all grieve for Mother Teresa too?

I'm sure a great many people did.

I feel I ought to nail my colours to the mast here. I didn't grieve over the death of Diana, but I've absolutely no problem with those who did - whatever those reasons might have been.

Shouldn't people be able to feel a sense of grief towards the loss of whoever they want

Yes

whenever they want?

No

What harm is it to you?

What harm it does it to constantly (I reckon there's a Diana story about once a week) bombard me with trivial "news" stories that I personally find tedious.

This year was different because it was the 10th anniversary of her death. I don't recall any "bonkersness" last year, or the year before that, or the year

I don't think it is just the vast media coverage we're having at the moment; it's the fact that every week we're getting Al Fayed said .... or a documentary about Diana's car crash or C4 are showing some photographs or maybe it's just a reference to the late Diana's favourite charity.

I feel I ought to nail my colours to the mast here. I didn't grieve over the death of Diana, but I've absolutely no problem with those who did - whatever those reasons might have been.

I partially agree, but I don't believe that the grieving process is best served by a vast and continuous outpouring of public wailing. This does not allow the real grievers, the true family, to allow the death to pass.

I don't think it is just the vast media coverage we're having at the moment; it's the fact that every week we're getting Al Fayed said ....

One shouldn't forget he lost his son but, yeah, I'm totally with you on that one. Bonkers, scary man. And I've not set foot in his little shop since the day I was barked at by a security guard and ordered to remove my tiny, unobtrusive rucsack. Thank goodness they were stripped of their Royal Warrants. Been a Harvey Nicks boy ever since! Is that advertising? Hope it won't be removed!

I partially agree, but I don't believe that the grieving process is best served by a vast and continuous outpouring of public wailing.

I feel as though I should mention a few cultural differences. Perhaps the majority of Brits are more reserved with their grief and emotions and feel dealing with death to be a private affair.

Not so with the majority of Americans. So, arguably, public grieving could be considered an Americanism. No more than a bit of a cultural difference.

Not to say that that's wrong or anything.

I feel as though I should mention a few cultural differences. Perhaps the majority of Brits are more reserved with their grief and emotions and feel dealing with death to be a private affair.

Not so with the majority of Americans. So, arguably, public grieving could be considered an Americanism. No more than a bit of a cultural difference.

Not to say that that's wrong or anything.

we are more reserved, thats how we are.

and please can we use the word "British" after we dont says "Yanks":)

We can ship them out to you if you want.

Matthew

Please don't do us any favors

We already have enough people here who lounge around all day living off the government, wear gaudy clothes with a lot of bling , and inbreed.

Have you ever heard of The Blue States ...:)

Archived