Diana Remembered

Cornus

Im sorry to hear that Tim, i like to speak to everyone on this board, yes we sometimes have different opinions ,but that`s our right. We can argue over sensitive issues (mines Smoking) but i feel that i have made a lot of friends and im meeting quite a few in 2 weeks time ! :D

take care,

Gav :cool:

No worries mate.

Shame I won't get to meet you 'cos you get off as I get on. I think. But I'll meet Myles and I'm really pleased because he's just sent me some fab pictures (from his magic plans) of me and my mum's cabin for the October Med' cruise.

Thanks,

I always said when that day came, I didn't know how I could handle it. Well, Here it is a year later, and I still can't. Something sets me off all the time. Of all things, today it was a comic strip (that happened to be about death.) It's a funny strip that has dealt with all sorts of serious issues, including cancer. One of the characters has had a recurrence and has decided to live the rest of her time without intervention. Her husband, after going through a night of hell wrestling with it, has just given her permission to "go." Even typing this I started crying again. I've been struggling with the depression from his loss at the same time as I lost a wonderful job I loved and had to take a different job (I should be pleased. The President of our department at HQ and the regional Vice President created the opening because they and others thought I was too valuable to let go) Every day at work reminds me of how much I loved my old job and how much I miss my father, who was, especially, my rock as I went through work-related struggles. He died less than a week before I was to be laid off, and got word on the last day that they had created a position for me. (This was the third time they had tried to do away with my old job, as I was the only one in that position in the entire country. Corporations don't like "singular" positions!) Daddy helped me through the previous two, and never lost confidence in my ability to survive it. It seems all of the world is connected, no?

Yes, thongs- Sequined ones. Um. Was I supposed to bring mine?

(A much more pleasant topic, BTW! thanks for the smile!)

Thanks, Tim.

I have been disturbed by the tone of the board of late.

And sorry if I was rude to you the other day,. It wasn't intentional.

Karie,

who is very saddened when people seem to wish to create divisions. So much better when we created friendliness, cohesiveness and acceptance of each others' differences.

P.S. Don't forget to tell them what you just told me, and how much you love them. There may come a time when we can no more.

Hi Karie,

I know how you feel ,my Mum died on " Friday 13th Febuary 2004" at the ripe old age of 57, she suffered for 7 years from a awful brain disorder and my Dad nursed her 24 hours a day. As i am an only child, it is now just the two of us. We now live together and Cruise together, we go Cruising a few times a year together and i also go alone. Our next Cruise is this Christmas on the "QV" and then when she is in Tandem to New York we switch to the "QE2". My Mum wanted to Cruise but never did, and my Dad went on his first one after she died.

The pain is still bad and it will never go away. My Dad is 66 so hopefully i will have him a bit longer, but he has had diabeties for about 30 years and it is getting worse , he also had cancer and recently a heart operation to insert stents !

speak to you later Karie,

Gavin xx

No worries mate.

Shame I won't get to meet you 'cos you get off as I get on. I think. But I'll meet Myles and I'm really pleased because he's just sent me some fab pictures (from his magic plans) of me and my mum's cabin for the October Med' cruise.

Im on for the two night trip which Myles is on, are you not on that one ?

Gav

Yes, thongs- Sequined ones. Um. Was I supposed to bring mine?

(A much more pleasant topic, BTW! thanks for the smile!)

Yes, you bring yours. I don't have a thong to my name! Gosh, read that out loud and I sound like a failed vocalist with a severe lisp.

P.S. Don't forget to tell them what you just told me, and how much you love them. There may come a time when we can no more.

Done!

They're both going on the (last) Autumn Colours cruise next year - wish I was joining them. On sea days, mum will sit outside by the Pavillion, read a good book and generally watch the world go by. Dad will either be getting very competitive at the organised deck games or sitting in the Golden Lion, listening to the jazz band, with a pint of bitter and a contented smile. Crazy pair - but they're alright!

Im on for the two night trip which Myles is on, are you not on that one ?

Gav

No, I'm on the Mediterranean Sojourn - 14th-28th October (pretty sure Myles is doing both). Two ports of call in Greece - hope there's something left after those awful forest fires.

No, I'm on the Mediterranean Sojourn - 14th-28th October (pretty sure Myles is doing both). Two ports of call in Greece - hope there's something left after those awful forest fires.

Yes im on 12th-14th of October, which Myles is on :eek: sorry we won`t meet :(

Yes im on 12th-14th of October, which Myles is on :eek: sorry we won`t meet :(

Oh well - maybe I'll meet you and your dad in the departure lounge at Southampton on 6th Jan! Actually that's got me wondering.... how can they fit two ship's worth of passengers in there? Will QV or QE2 have to dock somewhere else? Anyway it's going to be a jolly exciting crossing. And that's before we get to NY and the three Queens!:eek:

Oh well - maybe I'll meet you and your dad in the departure lounge at Southampton on 6th Jan! Actually that's got me wondering.... how can they fit two ship's worth of passengers in there? Will QV or QE2 have to dock somewhere else? Anyway it's going to be a jolly exciting crossing. And that's before we get to NY and the three Queens!:eek:

Yes one will need to dock at the Mayflower Terminal (Gate 10) i think , probably " QV" !

.... the only royal who ever earned her keep was the truly lovely Diana...
You know I need to ask you to explain this bit.

She did live a life of absolute privilege, from a financial point of view what did she do that hundreds of other charitable people do for no charge or recognition?

Just having Royalty draws so many tourists. I am not a royalist but I feel they give some aspect of value for money. Kind of in the same way a drinks company gets value from sponsoring sporting competitions.

Also, if we had no royality what would Cunard call it's ships?

Hi Karie,

I know how you feel ,my Mum died on " Friday 13th Febuary 2004" at the ripe old age of 57, she suffered for 7 years from a awful brain disorder and my Dad nursed her 24 hours a day. As i am an only child, it is now just the two of us. We now live together and Cruise together, we go Cruising a few times a year together and i also go alone. Our next Cruise is this Christmas on the "QV" and then when she is in Tandem to New York we switch to the "QE2". My Mum wanted to Cruise but never did, and my Dad went on his first one after she died.

The pain is still bad and it will never go away. My Dad is 66 so hopefully i will have him a bit longer, but he has had diabeties for about 30 years and it is getting worse , he also had cancer and recently a heart operation to insert stents !

speak to you later Karie,

Gavin xx

Gavin,

That is so very,very sad.

Your father must be a saint. To lose his wife so young, and to care for her like that. It is truly awful. I have dealt with people who have suffered TBI, and a friend who had a tumor which turned out to be benign, but they made a mistake in cutting and she had to learn how to talk, eat, walk, still only has the use of one hand. They were big travelers and dancers, and also did so much more. She lot so much. When I finally break open the bottle I bought while I was in Florida for my Father's funeral, but have not yet found the right time to toast him with, I will think also of your mother.

Maybe it will be in April on the QE2. BTW, I hope your mother would have like Moet et Chandon. Although it was a few years ago, I do understand how you feel. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get over the pain.

Yes, you bring yours. I don't have a thong to my name! Gosh, read that out loud and I sound like a failed vocalist with a severe lisp.

Done!

They're both going on the (last) Autumn Colours cruise next year - wish I was joining them. On sea days, mum will sit outside by the Pavillion, read a good book and generally watch the world go by. Dad will either be getting very competitive at the organised deck games or sitting in the Golden Lion, listening to the jazz band, with a pint of bitter and a contented smile. Crazy pair - but they're alright!

Tim,

Once again, you have made me laugh! (I have several pairs- though none have sequins. I am wearing ones with palm trees on them right now, and a -oops, no sorry. These are the ones with Margarita glasses on top and a parrot on the bottom~!

Your parents sound marvelous! They know what they like! And if that's crazy, then sign me up!

Karie,

who wanted to cruise one more time with Dad, but it did not happen,. We did one cruise together, but he fell down a flight of stairs returning from lunch before we ever got on board, and was miserable the entire time, with a concussion and major cuts and scrapes..

And we are still suffering from collective faux grief.....

It was [nauseating] then, and it is [nauseating] now. Can't the woman be allowed to rest in peace? Surely it is only a matter for her family and friends (to whom it clearly did and does matter). The rest of us didn't know [her], and therefore what difference does it make [to us]?

Matthew

Actually, I thought she was incredible, holding her head tall and being her own person amongst the snooty royals. My personal opinion about her death, people's grief (I think, Matthew, that a lot of commoners felt she was "their" royal- approachable and not as snooty) and all that happened within and without her marriage is that we should let bygones be bygones. What good is it to hate her now...or then. I think she was a sensitive person who got caught up in a world not totally of her making. Showing your disgust now does not say much for the person who does so. It looks really nasty and low-class, IMHO. She is gone. If you did not like her, that is your prerogative. There are those who truly do (and did) care. showing your disdain only reflects poorly on you.

In other words, keep it to yourself.

As I sit here still grieving the loss of my father last year, I sure am glad my father was not a public figure. I hate to think what sort of rubbish you might say about him. I can't think of much to criticize him about, but neither can I think of much to criticize Lady Di over. Others seem to find no dearth of fatal flaws.

RIP Diana

As you could not, apparently, in life

Karie,

who is fully sincere, and saddened

Karie,

I really wish that you would read what people write before you respond. That might mean that you misunderstand a little less.

I didn't - at any point - criticise Diana herself. My critcism was was for those who have never met her and who treat her death as if it was something that mattered personally to them. That's nonsense - and if it isn't then that person has serious problems.

And if you read what I said you'll see that I asked "why the poor woman couldn't rest in peace?". And I also made it clear that to her friends and family her death did matter and still matters.

As to what I might say about your father? Where did that come from???

I've corrected typos in the quotation above, but I think the sense was clear before.

Matthew

Caronia?

Laconia?

Carpathia?

Matthew

My goodness a marketing department's nightmare.

What is a Carpahia, Caronia, Laconia? Never heard of one of those as a feelling or vauge concept. How about names like :

Cunard Daytime

Cunard Discoverer

Cunard Emancipation

Silver Cunard

Cunard Elevation

Cunard Serenade

These are much better for writng copy about. They sound so much more classy too and thankfully not too much like ships.

Hey Sheri! Thanks for the laugh at your sig,

Maybe we could start a similar thread over here"

Karie,

who is fully sincere, and saddened

I just LOVE that thread, there was some very funny people there and that thread just took off and had a life of it's own!! I re-read it once in a while just to laugh all over again!!

Sorry to hear about your dad!:(

Karie,

I really wish that you would read what people write before you respond. That might mean that you misunderstand a little less.

I didn't - at any point - criticise Diana herself. My critcism was was for those who have never met her and who treat her death as if it was something that mattered personally to them. That's nonsense - and if it isn't then that person has serious problems.

And if you read what I said you'll see that I asked "why the poor woman couldn't rest in peace?". And I also made it clear that to her friends and family her death did matter and still matters.

As to what I might say about your father? Where did that come from???

I've corrected typos in the quotation above, but I think the sense was clear before.

Matthew

Matthew, my only comment that pertained to you was enclosed in parentheses. I am sorry that it appeared to you as if that entire post was aimed at you. It was not. Only the portion that specifically and separately addressed you was "aimed" at you- It was my way of explaining to you specifically why I think those who did not know her considered her special to them, almost as if they DID, indeed know her.

The rest was not addressing your comment and thus, was not parenthetical.

I apologize for not making that clear.

I appreciate your comment about allowing her to rest in peace.

Karie,

who has a lot of words, but not always the right ones.

I am astonished that some people could be so sentimental about the decommissioning of a ship (QE2) and so callous about the death of a human being (Princess Diana).

Of course the death of someone we know personally is a lot different than the death of a public figure, even one whom we admired, but that does not mean the sadness is fake or foolish. I think that the mourning for a public figure is in part based on genuine appreciation for the person and their accomplishments, but also (like the passing of a ship) based on memories of that person that are tied to our own lives. Our memories of that public person that are related to significant events in our lives. I do not share or really understand the deep feelings people feel about Elvis or John Lennon, but at least regarding the latter (who was more my generation) I understood that for baby-boomers it was the passing of an era and all those good times that we had with the Beatles as a soundtrack in the background were over. I think Kurt Cobain's death (which ended the "grunge band" era in music) may have had a similar effect on his fans (a much younger generation than the Elvis Presley and John Lennon fans). Similarly, I think a lot of people felt strongly about Princess Diana in part because they admired her good works and in part because they had fond memories of her--that fairy tale wedding--and sympathy for her family--those young princes now left without a mother--and empathy because of some of her problems--the difficulties of her divorce, the in-law problems. I went to the British Embassy after her death to look at all the flowers that people had left and I was amazed at the wide range of people who were there to show there respects. She really touched people deeply.

I have always admired the queen (although I don't support monarchies as a general principle) but I did think very highly of Princess Diana despite her faults. She may have been self-indulgent and immature at times, but she also used her celebrity to do some real good--championing causes like the fight against AIDs and the banning of land mines.

Everyone is perfectly free to not care for Princess Diana but it is really immature and callous to make fun of those who did and who do want to remember her on the 10-year anniversary of her death. Although I will not miss the Queen Elizabeth 2 (:eek: ) having never sailed on her and having no memories of her connected to my own life, I understand that it really is a sad time for those who will miss the ship because of its connection to their own lives. A person is more important than a ship and with regard to Princess Diana, she does have a connection to a lot of people's lives, even those who never met her.

Matthew, my only comment that pertained to you was enclosed in parentheses. I am sorry that it appeared to you as if that entire post was aimed at you. It was not. Only the portion that specifically and separately addressed you was "aimed" at you- It was my way of explaining to you specifically why I think those who did not know her considered her special to them, almost as if they DID, indeed know her.

The rest was not addressing your comment and thus, was not parenthetical.

I apologize for not making that clear.

I appreciate your comment about allowing her to rest in peace.

Karie,

who has a lot of words, but not always the right ones.

Okay. Noted.

Friends? sorrysmiley.gif

Matthew

I am astonished that some people could be so sentimental about the decommissioning of a ship (QE2) and so callous about the death of a human being (Princess Diana).

Of course the death of someone we know personally is a lot different than the death of a public figure, even one whom we admired, but that does not mean the sadness is fake or foolish. I think that the mourning for a public figure is in part based on genuine appreciation for the person and their accomplishments, but also (like the passing of a ship) based on memories of that person that are tied to our own lives. Our memories of that public person that are related to significant events in our lives. I do not share or really understand the deep feelings people feel about Elvis or John Lennon, but at least regarding the latter (who was more my generation) I understood that for baby-boomers it was the passing of an era and all those good times that we had with the Beatles as a soundtrack in the background were over. I think Kurt Cobain's death (which ended the "grunge band" era in music) may have had a similar effect on his fans (a much younger generation than the Elvis Presley and John Lennon fans). Similarly, I think a lot of people felt strongly about Princess Diana in part because they admired her good works and in part because they had fond memories of her--that fairy tale wedding--and sympathy for her family--those young princes now left without a mother--and empathy because of some of her problems--the difficulties of her divorce, the in-law problems. I went to the British Embassy after her death to look at all the flowers that people had left and I was amazed at the wide range of people who were there to show there respects. She really touched people deeply.

I have always admired the queen (although I don't support monarchies as a general principle) but I did think very highly of Princess Diana despite her faults. She may have been self-indulgent and immature at times, but she also used her celebrity to do some real good--championing causes like the fight against AIDs and the banning of land mines.

Everyone is perfectly free to not care for Princess Diana but it is really immature and callous to make fun of those who did and who do want to remember her on the 10-year anniversary of her death. Although I will not miss the Queen Elizabeth 2 (:eek: ) having never sailed on her and having no memories of her connected to my own life, I understand that it really is a sad time for those who will miss the ship because of its connection to their own lives. A person is more important than a ship and with regard to Princess Diana, she does have a connection to a lot of people's lives, even those who never met her.

I don't think it is irrelevant that this country is one where we have had the Prime Minister making comments about characters in a soap opera as if they were real.

Perhaps that is what I'm getting at - for most people the Royal Family has as much reality as a soap opera. Does that make my position clearer?

Matthew

I don't think it is irrelevant that this country is one where we have had the Prime Minister making comments about characters in a soap opera as if they were real.

Perhaps that is what I'm getting at - for most people the Royal Family has as much reality as a soap opera. Does that make my position clearer?

Matthew[/quote

To tell you the truth, the soap opera that was the Princess's marriage led me to the conclusion that no one should be subjected to such a fish bowl existence. That's why I think the most humane thing to do for the entire Royal Family would be to end the monarchy (after the current Queen's reign, of course). But as an American, its really none of my business--its just entertainment. We get a new soap opera every 4 (or 8) years with a new president. (Although lately we seem to be having some dynastic family-type re-runs.)

Okay. Noted.

Friends? sorrysmiley.gif

Matthew

Always! It needn't be said, but there. I've said it!

Karie,

who doesn't have cute smilies, but still likes and respects Matthew (even if he IS planning to throw his wife overboard without a life jacket in favor of his deep friendship and torrid love of Bluey <G>)

To tell you the truth, the soap opera that was the Princess's marriage led me to the conclusion that no one should be subjected to such a fish bowl existence. That's why I think the most humane thing to do for the entire Royal Family would be to end the monarchy (after the current Queen's reign, of course).

It is a good and humane argument. Of course presidents choose to do it - although I'm with Socrates in that this should automatically disqualify them!

Matthew

Karie,

who doesn't have cute smilies, but still likes and respects Matthew (even if he IS planning to throw his wife overboard without a life jacket in favor of his deep friendship and torrid love of Bluey <G>)

If you knew Kirsten you'd realise just how unlikely that was!

Matthew

If you knew Kirsten you'd realise just how unlikely that was!

Matthew

And if she ever read Cruise Critic, a much better chance of Matthew being thrown overboard. With only Bluey to keep him safe from harm! <G>

Karie,

who knows that Matthew knows on which side HIS bread is buttered! (and who likely butters it for him on the butler's day off!)

Archived