Hurricane Felix

CoachTerry14

Now a CAT 3 125mph winds headed NW of Aruba.

Looks like the Dutch ABC islands escaped the worst of it.

Although they experienced Trop.Storm force winds(caramel color),

they weren't near to the red(Hurr.force winds)

see grafix I've attached!

If you want to see big versions of these graphics

please visit

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

and click on the thumbnails provided.

I was thinking about Felix too.

Since Costa Maya took a hit and from what I read from various sites that port is closed--re-routing ships to Cozumel (can we say CROWDED!)

This western carribena season can wind up being really unusal with port changes etc..

How many cruise ships can one port handle? Like Cozumel or Belize.

When we were there last year--we noted how terribly poor the how region is--We walked a long way around the city--and the poverty porblem is immense. I don't now how those shacks will survive the wind, let alone the flooding.

felix is looking to be a cat 3 today:eek: ....definately doest look to be moving south though.. and that model puts it right back out into the gulf on friday.. wondering if if we will have any rough seas on sat...maybe not, but the cruise prior to us will get it. i sure hop you get "our" ship back to us on time;)

Nope... and it won't move south. I just expect it to stay south, pretty much on a westerly heading.

As for the conditions of the sea, things should be pretty settled by Thursday so I would expect you'd be OK...

We are sailing on Carnival Glory next weekend and we already lost Costa Maya from the itinerary....looks like we will not be doing Belize either. I hate to see this happening to these areas. Costa Maya was such a beautiufl port and I've enjoyed Belize in the past too. I know I will have a great time no matter where Carnival takes me but these folks are really in harms way. :(

We are sailing on Carnival Glory next weekend and we already lost Costa Maya from the itinerary....looks like we will not be doing Belize either. I hate to see this happening to these areas. Costa Maya was such a beautiufl port and I've enjoyed Belize in the past too. I know I will have a great time no matter where Carnival takes me but these folks are really in harms way. :(

Well said. True these folks don't have a lot. But that also means they don't have the means to truly protect themselves or recover as quickly.

The cruises are one of their main livihoods. So not only are their lives at risk, their incomes are as well that feed and cloth their families.

I can't help but remember how Paradise Beach in Cozumel was up and running 3 weeks after Wilma. I have seen the pictures...that place was "gone". They had no insurance, no infrastructure, no Salvation Army, no Red Cross, no National Guard, no volunteers, no FEMA....all they had was themselves and the knowledge that if they did not do it...it would not get done.

They got it done! Sometimes I think there is still a lot we can learn from these "poor ports"....

Our hearts and prayers are with the ports in the path of these storms.

Get your CARE packages ready, people.

The guys at Nat'l. Hurricane Center are usually 'wrong'

only by a few miles, when it comes to intensity and actual landfall location,

so it's 99% certain that Belize will take it on the chin!

Felix has a few hundred miles to go, over nice warm ocean

to spin-up to Cat.4 or 5

see the chart at http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/atlm.html

- all that warm red stuff you see,there.. is 'hurricane fuel',if you will.

It's not going to be pretty in Belize, nor the Honduras Bay Islands.

May God help them.

I sure hate that that region is being hit again! It reminds me of when Rita came in shortly after Katrina left.

I thought I'd ask this question here, rather than starting a new thead. I was booked to leave out on the Conquest today, but we had to cancel due to my DH's illness. However, I feel connected to the BB's who are still going, since I was on the Roll Call for quite a while. I was just wondering how rough the seas might be for them this week, with Felix out there. Anybody know?

I just checked cruisecal.com for the Legend, since we're supposed to go on 9/16. For today's sailing it says they're going to Key West tomorrow, Grand Turk on Weds, Ocho Rios on Thurs and Grand Cayman on Friday (all due to hurricane deviation). The weeks after that still show the original itinerary (including Costa Maya, which will of course be replaced with something). So the waiting continues!

I checked the Ecstasy too - this site still shows it going to Progreso and Cozumel next week.

We're sailing with Kruise King tomorrow out of Galveston....5 days on the Ecstasy to Progresso and Cozumel. I'm okay with extra sea days too or a completely different itinerary, just a little worried about rough seas as a new cruiser...cross your fingers for us!!

... I was also looking at Invest 98 which should be a hurricane by tuesday or wednesday and folllowing Dean's path....

I've read in several places that people are concerned with this storm, but I couldn't find a good chart anywhere to predict where it would go. How much confidence do you have in this information? If it does follow Dean's path, any idea when it would be in the Belize area?

Archived