Hurricane Felix

CoachTerry14

I was in hurricane Wilma and for the most part, we went around the hurricane. During the last two days before we were to port, it got a tad bit rough. I was fine, but my DH had to take some Bonine. We ended up spending 2 extra days at sea, because the port was damaged and we had no place to disembark.

I hope you DH is doing better. Was this a last minute cancellation?

Ha, I did not know that. I never believed Dean was going to make it to TX anyhow. Although Houston is "due". Really nothing horrible has panned out since Alicia.

That would be bad news for Texas - our paper reported they spent half of the state's emergency budget preparing for Dean, which never affected us.

Ha, I did not know that. I never believed Dean was going to make it to TX anyhow. Although Houston is "due". Really nothing horrible has panned out since Alicia.

And Alicia was bad enough. I rode that storm out in Lake Jackson. No electricity for nearly 3 weeks. Ugh!

We are sailing on Carnival Glory next weekend and we already lost Costa Maya from the itinerary....looks like we will not be doing Belize either. I hate to see this happening to these areas. Costa Maya was such a beautiufl port and I've enjoyed Belize in the past too. I know I will have a great time no matter where Carnival takes me but these folks are really in harms way. :(

what a lovely attitude to have:)

wish i could chime in; just getting cold feet with final cruise pmt fast approaching...starting to worry where we'll wind up:rolleyes: . It's getting late in the game for us to rebook another option due to pre travel plans.

realize in the great scheme of things, it's nothing compared to the suffering/hardship of the locals; just can't help being frustrated that the itinerary thru Dec for the Glory was posted last week on Port Canaveral's website; while the Legend is till up in the air past the next few weeks.

FYI, HLN sez Felix is now 125 mph winds, category 4 bearing down on belize, late mon or tues

Can't say that i've accurately tracked storm activity in the past, yet it seems to be a very destructive season so far

Latest models have it reaching Category 5 strength very soon. This one is a monster and appears to have gained strength faster than was originally anticipated. Current models appear to be showing a direct pass over the island of Roatan, Honduras, or very near it. We were in Roatan this past summer on August 1 and talked to our tour guide about the island's readiness for hurricanes. The take home message? If a big one hits the island, it will be disastrous.

Keeping everyone in the Caribbean in my thoughts and prayers...

We cruised in 2003 to Belize and it was beautiful. I am not sure how many ships they could handle in one day. This is a tender port and it takes about 20 minutes from where they have the ship. If I remember there was not much there where we tendered.

I hope that they can be spared from this latest storm.

we have fond memories of cave Tubing in Belize.

We are cruisin' out of Galveston tomorrow.....Ports Cozumel and Progresso...on Carnival...

How do I go about finding out if there is a change in ports???:confused:

We are going to be on it too. UGGG it is not on carnivals site at all.

I've read in several places that people are concerned with this storm, but I couldn't find a good chart anywhere to predict where it would go. How much confidence do you have in this information? If it does follow Dean's path, any idea when it would be in the Belize area?

I'd be a bit more worried about Felix and Belize at this point:eek: Roatan is supposed to get a direct hit as well.....

This is a good site for first hand info:

http://www.stormcarib.com/

At the 8PM Eastern advisory, Felix is now a CAT 5 Hurricane with sustained winds of 165mph.

reports from a NOAA hurricane hunter aircraft indicate that Felix

has intensified and is now a category five hurricane. The aircraft

reported peak flight-level winds of 152 kt...with peak SFMR winds

of 142 kt in the southwest quadrant. Higher SFMR winds were found

in the northeast quadrant...up to 163 kt...but these may have been

contaminated by groupel. A dropsonde released in the southwest

quadrant landed in the northeast quadrant...and this drop yielded a

surface estimate of 139 kt based on the lowest 150 M layer average.

Based on these data...the peak surface winds are estimated to be at

least 145 kt. An eye sonde measured a surface pressure of 936 mb

with surface winds of 24 kt. Because of the extreme turbulence and

groupel that the aircraft experienced...the mission is being

aborted and the aircraft is returning to St. Croix.

This special advisory is being issued to update the initial and

forecast intensities. No other changes to the forecast are being

made. This special advisory is being issued in lieu of the

scheduled intermediate advisory.

I was in hurricane Wilma and for the most part, we went around the hurricane. During the last two days before we were to port, it got a tad bit rough. I was fine, but my DH had to take some Bonine. We ended up spending 2 extra days at sea, because the port was damaged and we had no place to disembark.

I hope you DH is doing better. Was this a last minute cancellation?

Thanks. My DH is doing better, but the Dr. isn't ready to release him for cruising just yet. We had to cancel this one last week. Thankfully, we had cruise insurance. We expect him to be fine for our Oct. 13 Glory cruise, so we have that to look forward to. :)

Current projected landfall is in the vicinity of Puerto Lempira, Honduras. The storm could continue to track slightly further South making landfall around Puerto Cabezas in Nicaragua.

Felixtrack.gif

Although a VERY strong storm Felix is still quite compact. Damage should be confined to a relatively small area.

If Felix makes landfall, as currently predicted, it should weaken rapidly in the mountains inland.

We can only hope that the governments of Honduras and Nicaragua have warned their citizens and begun evacuations.

I just noticed the track is starting to move south - this doesn't look good for Honduras and Nicaragua - from this tracking map it looks as though Roatan will see cat 3 winds and belize will see cat 2 winds? The only saving grace is that Felix is moving at 20mph - There is a piece about Hurricane Fifi in 1974 that killed 8000 people on wunderweather.com here is the link http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=775&tstamp=200709

at200706_5day.gif

3 of the 5 projected tracks now push Felix on a more southerly track. There's a lot of good news in that. The southerly track will cause it to miss Belize City and most of the Western Caribbean ports.

Bad news is that Honduras and Nicaragua will probably both get smacked. But the sooner it makes land fall, the sooner it weakens and fewer people get hurt.

3 of the 5 projected tracks now push Felix on a more southerly track. There's a lot of good news in that. The southerly track will cause it to miss Belize City and most of the Western Caribbean ports.

Bad news is that Honduras and Nicaragua will probably both get smacked. But the sooner it makes land fall, the sooner it weakens and fewer people get hurt.

JMO as far as loss of life this maybe some of the worst news possible - see hurricane Fifi in 1974....I am very sad thinking about what could happened to those people. The only poisitive is that the forward speed of Felix is 20mph and will not dump as much rain on honduras as Fifi did in 74 when it was only moving 11 mph.

Archived