3 Day Cruise -Good Idea?

beirne

Navigator has a 3 day in mid-December half-priced at $998. Any opinions

as to whether this would be a good 'test' cruise to try out Regent? We've

sailed Seabourn, Windstar, and the big ships like HAL, Princess, and Celebrity, but want a feel for the mid size. Thanks in advance...

We have just returned on the Navigator from a 2 week trip in the Med. Had a GREAT time and I think the three day would be a great way to get your feet wet (We also booked this cruise on board the ship). It will be coming out of drydock and should be nice. They did tell us there is a slight chance this might be cancelled if the dry dock took longer than expected which would be ok with us as we were just looking for a long weekend getaway. However, be warned, you will want more once you return! No complaints at all!

Is this the one that leave FLL on December 14th, Key West, Nassau and return? I know a couple of other people on this cruise. We're planning on having a drink in Key West, since Voyager will be there the same day, and we're on that cruise (regular 7-day.)

I would imagine it would be a pleasant intro to Regent, especially for someone living in Florida--not worth travelling a great distance for. The only down-side is Nassau, which as you may know is no great shakes. But I would recommend enjoying the ship in any case, since it's only 3 days. Navigator is a very nice little ship, hopefully you will be completely spoiled!

Due to an experience in a Silversea 4 days discounted cruise last year I would be very cautious in booking another 3-4 days cruise. Actually, probably I will never do it again. Without rehashing all the details, what was supposed to be a luxury experience, became a horrible , subpar experience regarding service and food quality. One of the non-official "explanations" we heard for the poor quality in service and food was that the crew did not like / resented short cruises!

Granted, this is Regent, a different company ,and I have no idea of the quality level of their short cruises . But I have heard similar complaints about short cruises aboard other lines, such as Cunard Queen Mary2.

We are booked on this short 3 night cruise and I would not be a happy sailer if this was cancelled at the last minute. :(

As far as less than excellent service due to the fact it is only 3 nights I would hope this would not be the case.

I am going to try to remain posivite! :) See you in Key West Wendy! ;)

What we were told was that the decision would be made in the next 10 days. We are hoping for the best as well but they gave us the indication it was around 50-50. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Thanks for posting this - as much as I'd hate to not go on this short cruise I would be much more willing to accept a decision now vs. a day before sailing (as long as they would help us with the air and hotel that we all ready have paid for).

It makes sense to come to a decision soon because final payment for this cruise is due around that same time frame on 9/15.

Again...thanks for this last post! :)

I'm thinking of doing this cruise as well.

I did a 4-day Voyager cruise a couple of years back, and enjoyed it. It has a slightly different flavor from the longer RSSC cruises. Not worse, just subtly different. There certainly was no lack of staff attention--at least on the "ground level" (dining room, cabin stewards, etc.). The officers were not as visible as they are on longer cruises, but the hard working rank and file crew were their usual wonderful selves.

So what's the different flavor? The passengers average a bit younger than usual, and not as much diversity of occupational background. LOTS of travel agents--I'd have said there was a convention aboard, except that they were all unrelated. I gathered from what a few said that RSSC has a hard time filling berths on these types of cruises, so offer some sweet deals to TAs to introduce them to the "product." If I were to make a generalization, I'd say TAs know how to party (without crossing the line into obnoxious, if you understand what I mean). Actually, come to think of it, that's fairly standard for RSSC passengers, so maybe that's not that big a different.

I think the difference may have come from the fact that this cruise, unlike most RSSC cruises, is NOT about the ports. It's just about kicking back for a few days and letting yourself be pampered. So, the conversation is a little less about exploration and a little more about things in general.

In any event, it's a good way to break into RSSC.

I agree Susie. They told us the decision would be made prior to final payment being due. However, they did say if they did cancel that Regent would offer some form of compensation for the cancellation. So lets hope 1. that they dont cancel and 2. that if they do the compensation is worthwhile!

Thanks!

Oh my, did not know this cruise was in jeopardy because it happens right after a drydock. I wonder what they're doing during this drydock. We were on Navigator last year in December right after a "drydock" which was really a soft-refit. New carpets, bedding, painting, lots of little things (they were replacing lightbulbs on the pool deck while we were boarding.)

Let's hope it works out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived