Regal Princess - A Very Long Review

bdjam

[quote name='bdjam']Good points – now that you mention it, I don’t know how they would get a Disco down below with the watertight compartments – unless it would fit in the gym area? Always interesting to read how to work those water tight doors while waiting for a massage. [/QUOTE]

Nice review. CROWN and REGAL have special meaning for me since I worked onboard both ships as an officer. They were the first new cruise ships built in Italy in something like 25-30 years, and would begin design trends that Princess uses to this day. Many great memories!

Just FYI, the passenger disco on the original STAR PRINCESS, plus the CROWN PRINCESS and REGAL PRINCESS was originally designed between a watertight compartment on Deck 2 .... it was on the other side of the elevators/stairs opposite the gym. Walk out the elevators, make a right, then another right near the gym. They probably keep the water-tight doors closed to this area at all times now so you wouldn't notice it. I would imagine it looks like a dead end.

Eventually on STAR PRINCESS the space was converted to crew cabins and the disco moved to Windows observation lounge. On CROWN PRINCESS I believe the space remained as a passenger disco for many years, before being converted to the crew disco and the passenger disco moved to the Stage Morgue, or Stage Door Lounge. ;) On REGAL PRINCESS the space on Deck 2 was allocated as a crew disco from day one although it is decorated to passenger standards and looks just like the original passenger disco on CROWN PRINCESS.

Ernie

Just wanted to chime in that moving Bravo to the Characters space and adding a steakhouse is a great idea. On our two cruises on the Regal, Characters seemed utterly vacant, and often wasn't even staffed.

Pat.

Crown Princess '92 (W. Carribbean)
Crown Princess '02 (Hawaii)
Star Princess '03 (Mexico)

BDJam,
I was in SF and saw your very ship sail out on August 14th. It took us 3 hours to get to SF from Sacramento that Saturday and then a good 30 minutes just to get through and past the ship embarkation station near the pier and wharf! Yikes! Anywho, I noticed it was the Regal Princess as it sailed out and was very excitied to see it even though I knew it was an older ship. Normally, I probably wouldn't be interested in ships any older than '98, but from what you said, it sounds like she would be just fine!

Anywho, I would have to concur regarding traditional dining. I enjoy traditional dining based on the fact that you get to know your waiter and they get to know you as well. You form a certain bond with them throughout your week with them and it's just great! It's unfortunate that they have to do away with those extra little things such as Cherries Flambe due to the rush of Anytime dining. In my opinion, I think there shouldn't be anytime or personal choice in the dining rooms. That's what the buffet, pizza, and burger joints are for. But I realize personal choice is quite popular, I still don't like it.

Food - I have heard and read people comment on how the quality of the food is on Princess. I just have to wonder how picky these people really are. I found the food AND the entertainment absolutely fantastic on Princess.

Thanks again for that inspiring review and perhpas I'll find myself on the Regal someday floating out of SF. It seems such a sin to have several ships leaving from SF and me not taking advantage of that with them being so close to home. I will definitely consider that in the next few years.

John

[quote]Just wanted to chime in that moving Bravo to the Characters space and adding a steakhouse is a great idea. On our two cruises on the Regal, Characters seemed utterly vacant, and often wasn't even staffed.[/quote]

Agreed! The only problem I see is that the space taken by the Characters Bar is considerably less than the space of Bravo Pizzaria. I do see some space behind Characters but am unsure what it is, I wonder if they would expand it slightly into that space to accomodate more tables, or if they would turn it into a Grand Class type pizzaria where instead of sit down service it's pizza by the slice.

[url=http://www.princess.com/ships/gp/deck/gp_lido_index.html] Regal Princess Lido Deck[/url]

As a sidenote, I see the Princess website has renamed the former Royal and then later Regal Class ships as Explorer Class now.

[QUOTE]Eventually on STAR PRINCESS the space was converted to crew cabins and the disco moved to Windows observation lounge. On CROWN PRINCESS I believe the space remained as a passenger disco for many years, before being converted to the crew disco and the passenger disco moved to the Stage Morgue, or Stage Door Lounge. ;) On REGAL PRINCESS the space on Deck 2 was allocated as a crew disco from day one although it is decorated to passenger standards and looks just like the original passenger disco on CROWN PRINCESS. [/QUOTE] [font=Bookman Old Style][size=2]Hey Ernie – thanks for the information – it’s always good to get the inside story! Glad to hear the memories you have from Crown and Regal are good ones…Regal has a certain ambience (for lack of a better word) for me. While I enjoy other Princess ships, I’ve not been able to find the same elsewhere.[/size][/font]
[font=Bookman Old Style][size=2][QUOTE] [font=Verdana]I was in SF and saw your very ship sail out on August 14th. It took us 3 hours to get to SF from Sacramento that Saturday and then a good 30 minutes just to get through and past the ship embarkation station near the pier and wharf! Yikes! [/font][font=Bookman Old Style][size=2][/size][/font] [/QUOTE] [font=Bookman Old Style][size=2]Hey John – I had the same problem. I left my house at about 11:45 Saturday morning as was at the Embarcadero by 12:30 – I didn’t get out of the car at the ship until 1:15…it took me the same amount of time to go 25 miles as it did to go 2!![/size][/font][/size][/font]
[QUOTE]It's unfortunate that they have to do away with those extra little things such as Cherries Flambe due to the rush of Anytime dining. In my opinion, I think there shouldn't be anytime or personal choice in the dining rooms. That's what the buffet, pizza, and burger joints are for. But I realize personal choice is quite popular, I still don't like it. [/QUOTE] [font=Bookman Old Style][size=2]As long as Anytime Dining doesn’t affect my choice for Traditional, I don’t mind it – but I always check that little Traditional box on the comment card where it asks what type of dining I prefer. In any case, now that I know tableside preparation is curtailed in Traditional to facilitate the Anytime experience…well Anytime has lost a point on my scorecard! It also tends to promote the more casual atmosphere on board, which isn't always to my liking.[/size][/font]
[font=Bookman Old Style][size=2][QUOTE] [font=Verdana]Thanks again for that inspiring review and perhpas I'll find myself on the Regal someday floating out of SF. It seems such a sin to have several ships leaving from SF and me not taking advantage of that with them being so close to home. I will definitely consider that in the next few years.[/font] [font=Bookman Old Style][size=2][/size][/font][/QUOTE] [font=Bookman Old Style][size=2]Ah – nothing like sailing from and back to San Francisco…especially for those of us who live here. Just not having to get on a plane is brilliant, but the sail away and return are quite wonderful too! Check out Regal next summer to Alaska, or Sapphire in the fall for Mexico. Or how about joining me on Dawn Princess for Mexico in the fall of 2005? ;) [/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=Bookman Old Style][size=2][font=Bookman Old Style][size=2][QUOTE] [font=Verdana]The only problem I see is that the space taken by the Characters Bar is considerably less than the space of Bravo Pizzaria. I do see some space behind Characters but am unsure what it is, I wonder if they would expand it slightly into that space to accomodate more tables, or if they would turn it into a Grand Class type pizzaria where instead of sit down service it's pizza by the slice.[/font] [font=Bookman Old Style][size=2][font=Bookman Old Style][size=2][/size][/font][/size][/font][/QUOTE] [font=Bookman Old Style][size=2]I had that same thought, and my first impression – given the way Princess is customizing the cruise experience – is a Grand-type pizzeria is what’s going to end up there. I hope not – Bravo is somewhat unique (along with the Sun Class version of the pizzeria) and adds to the special ambience on this ship. Changing it to counter service by the slice would be unfortunate.
[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Bookman Old Style][size=2][font=Bookman Old Style][size=2]
[/size][/font][/size][/font]

Brian, thanks for a great review on my favorite ship! We were on her for the 7 night Alaskan trips 5/1999 and 9/2001 and we think she is beautiful.:D

Next May will be our 3rd trip on the Regal and the first out of San Francisco. We will be arrivng at 11:00am on a Wednesday at SFO. The ship leaves at 4:00pm-will this be a problem? Also-what time does the ship pass under the Golden Gate? Can you suggest a good way to get from SFO to the pier? There will be 6 of us including a 10 year old and a 2.95 year old. (I've already been through the "leave the kids at home" bit and it isn't an option.) 3 of us will be staying in SFO after the cruise and the other 3 leave on debarkation day. How much will a taxi cost as opposed to a shuttle van? Princess transfers are $45.00pp one-way or round trip.

[QUOTE] Next May will be our 3rd trip on the Regal and the first out of San Francisco. We will be arrivng at 11:00am on a Wednesday at SFO. The ship leaves at 4:00pm-will this be a problem? Also-what time does the ship pass under the Golden Gate? Can you suggest a good way to get from SFO to the pier? There will be 6 of us including a 10 year old and a 2.95 year old. (I've already been through the "leave the kids at home" bit and it isn't an option.) 3 of us will be staying in SFO after the cruise and the other 3 leave on debarkation day. How much will a taxi cost as opposed to a shuttle van? Princess transfers are $45.00pp one-way or round trip.[/QUOTE] [font=Bookman Old Style][size=2]I would think if your plane arrived at SFO at 11:00, you should be able to get to the ship by 1:00 – given it will take you some time to get out of the airport. I think that’s probably a perfect time to arrive…most of the early-birds will have been on board and you’ll probably have minimum lines to get through check in. If you sail at 4:00, you’ll be under the Golden Gate about 4:30ish...give or take depending on your particular sailing – probably a little earlier. [/size][/font]

[font=Bookman Old Style][size=2]As for getting from SFO to the pier, the price of the Princess transfer looks competitive. Given that taking the transfer means your luggage gets handled for you – and I believe Super Shuttle is $20 one way – it might be worth the extra $5 for the transfer. If the price is right, I'd go the Princess way. I don’t know what the taxi price would be, since I’ve never done it myself – you might see if SFO has a website which gives you some taxi fares. Or maybe someone else from the area can help.[/size][/font]
[font=Bookman Old Style][size=2][/size][/font]
[font=Bookman Old Style][size=2]How ever you get there – get there!! You’ll love the cruise!
[/size][/font]

Ethel,
We did the Supershuttle out of Oakland and it worked out great!(I hear it's about the same distance from SFO) I liked it a lot more than when we did SFO with Princess transfers..We had a reservation and the shuttle was there within a couple minutes. There was another couple who he dropped off downtown Then our driver came over the hill and right on to the wharf...No waiting in wharf traffic.Also no waiting for baggage to be unloaded from the bus and waiting in line with a bus load of people. We were among the first passengers onboard...No lines just acouple minutes to get through screening.
We did have a little wait to be picked up after our cruise... about 20 minutes..Wharf traffic :( but no worries because our flight wasn't til 2:40 pm. It was a good experience for us. You might consider it as well... the van was plenty big for 6...with that size party you would probably get your own van!
Good Luck Cindy

I was totally turned around the whole cruise! I thought Bravo's was Aft! I just looked at Sharky's link to the deck plans.
I really hope they keep a "pizzeria" as well. Bravo's was Consistantly Full each afternoon.. I agree A counter service IS NOT the same as a pizzeria!! I liked pizza as a quick alternative to to the dining room and buffet at lunch or dinner.
I didn't miss a "Speciality" (pay extra) resturant on the Regal at ALL!
I agree Characters was pretty much wasted space as was that sunken dance area where the line dancing was...What about a resturant there? Much more room and an icecream or burger bar where Characters is and leave Bravo's alone?
Cindy :D

[QUOTE] I agree Characters was pretty much wasted space as was that sunken dance area where the line dancing was...What about a resturant there? Much more room and an icecream or burger bar where Characters is and leave Bravo's alone? [/QUOTE] [font='Bookman Old Style']Actually the Stage Door was pretty hopping during the late evening hours – after the last show. I closed the place a couple of times and while there weren’t a lot of people there, dancing continued until the early morning hours…[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]bdjam....a couple of things. As we get ready (32 more days) to board Sapphire for what will be our third cruise I have fond thoughts of asking many questions prior to our first. You were one of the folks on CC we could always count on for an answer and a few 'words from the wise.' Thank you for that, and thanks for taking the time to write this informative review of the Regal.[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]To be honest, the Regal ports in our backyard but because of her age? I have been hesitant to look seriously at booking her. After reading the review, if the situation presents itself we will hesitate no more, thanks.[/size][/font]

[quote name='catmand'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]bdjam....a couple of things. As we get ready (32 more days) to board Sapphire for what will be our third cruise I have fond thoughts of asking many questions prior to our first. You were one of the folks on CC we could always count on for an answer and a few 'words from the wise.' Thank you for that, and thanks for taking the time to write this informative review of the Regal.[/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]To be honest, the Regal ports in our backyard but because of her age? I have been hesitant to look seriously at booking her. After reading the review, if the situation presents itself we will hesitate no more, thanks.[/size][/font][/QUOTE][font='Bookman Old Style']You’re welcome Cat – always willing to help out a neighbor. [/font]
[font='Bookman Old Style'][/font]
[font='Bookman Old Style'][/font][font='Bookman Old Style']I don’t know that Regal Princess is in [/font][font='Bookman Old Style']San Francisco[/font][font='Bookman Old Style'] because of her age. If you remember, last year Pacific Princess – relatively new – did the exact same itinerary. Regal has been alternatively doing the itinerary for a number of years. Before that were Golden Princess 1, and Royal Princess. I think it’s more a product of the size of the ship and the type of cruise experience offered rather than the age of the ship. [/font]
[font='Bookman Old Style'][/font][font='Bookman Old Style']And as you caught – Regal Princess is going strong and she’s got a number of good years in her. Right, she’s not the newest thing off the line, but for us traditionalists – good or bad – she doesn’t need to be. She still offers a wonderful, high quality, comfortable cruise experience. If you’re looking for a long cruise on her – 15 days from [/font][font='Bookman Old Style']Ft.[/font][font='Bookman Old Style'] [/font][font='Bookman Old Style']Lauderdale[/font][font='Bookman Old Style'] to [/font][font='Bookman Old Style']San Francisco[/font][font='Bookman Old Style'] next April! ;) [/font]

Bdjam,

Thanks so much for writing such a wonderful review of the Regal. We usually sail on HAL and when we booked our trip for January 2006 on the Regal - Rio to Valpariso - I had no idea what type of ship we had booked on other than it was Princess and it was not one of the larger ships.

Thanks so much for informing us of all the little details about this delightful ship. We love traditional dining and we like a smaller ship so I think we will be having the cruise of a lifetime.

Jennie

[quote name='Aussie Gal']Bdjam,

Thanks so much for writing such a wonderful review of the Regal. We usually sail on HAL and when we booked our trip for January 2006 on the Regal - Rio to Valpariso - I had no idea what type of ship we had booked on other than it was Princess and it was not one of the larger ships.

Thanks so much for informing us of all the little details about this delightful ship. We love traditional dining and we like a smaller ship so I think we will be having the cruise of a lifetime.

Jennie[/QUOTE][font=Bookman Old Style]You’re welcome for the review…and I hope you do have the cruise of a lifetime. It sounds like a great itinerary and I think Regal Princess is the ship to do it on as one of the great things about her is that she carries a relatively small passenger load for her size…will look forward to hearing your impressions…in 2006… ;) [/font]

As an FYI, the reason they've done away with the "flammables" such as Cherries Jubilee is for insurance purposes, not because of Anytime dining. I'm not a huge fan of Anytime but I've been told by several Maitre D's that there were accidents and the insurance got to be too much.

I really miss the daily tableside pasta -- it was always so delicious. On our Regal cruise, they did have "tableside-prepared" pasta a couple of times but it was really the Maitre D' handling several pans at once at a station rather than at your table. It was still great, though.

[QUOTE] As an FYI, the reason they've done away with the "flammables" such as Cherries Jubilee is for insurance purposes, not because of Anytime dining. I'm not a huge fan of Anytime but I've been told by several Maitre D's that there were accidents and the insurance got to be too much. [/QUOTE] [font='Bookman Old Style']Well, the Matre’ds you talked to and the Head Waiter I talked to should get their stories straight. They certainly flamed things on Regal Princess and while it wasn’t necessarily done table-side for everyone, he was right by the side of my table. If it were insurance purposes that stopped the tableside preparation, it seems to me it would apply to all the ships in the fleet. [/font]
[font='Bookman Old Style']I[/font][font='Bookman Old Style']t made logical sense to me, however, that they could not do these desserts/pastas in the Anytime Dining environment and it also made sense that if it stopped in the Anytime Dining rooms, they’d pull it from the Traditional as well – you know how passengers talk and then everyone wants one.[/font]

[quote name='SharkieRools']In addition to Cherries Jubilee, they also made Bananas Foster on the Regal Princess back in November. :cool:

[url="http://community.webshots.com/photo/104108659/104113473eFVhQc"]Bananas Foster[/url][/QUOTE] [font='Bookman Old Style']Right! Bananas Foster, Cherries Jubilee – both flaming on this trip – and the olive oil from the sautéed garlic –which was the base of the pasta sauce – flamed up a bit too![/font]

• 4 weeks later...
thanks bdjam for your thorough review. i've been hesitant to book to alaska via s.f. because of her age and the fact that she didn't have all the bells and whistles that i've read about on the other ships. but no more - this ships sounds like an experience i don't want to miss. i like to swim everyday on a cruise. will that be a problem? do they have somewhat of a covered pool to block out the cold weather in alaska?

[quote name='persimmon']thanks bdjam for your thorough review. i've been hesitant to book to alaska via s.f. because of her age and the fact that she didn't have all the bells and whistles that i've read about on the other ships. but no more - this ships sounds like an experience i don't want to miss. i like to swim everyday on a cruise. will that be a problem? do they have somewhat of a covered pool to block out the cold weather in alaska?[/QUOTE][font='Bookman Old Style']Thanks for reading the review. The pools on Regal Princess are not covered. They were used on our cruise, but the weather was unusually warm. If you’re to swim each day, you might try Coral, [/font][font='Bookman Old Style']Island[/font][font='Bookman Old Style'], Diamond or Sapphire Princesses. They have covered pools, although they only do 7-day cruises and of course their size presents a totally different cruise experience.[/font]

[quote name='bdjam'][font='Bookman Old Style']Well, the Matre’ds you talked to and the Head Waiter I talked to should get their stories straight. They certainly flamed things on Regal Princess and while it wasn’t necessarily done table-side for everyone, he was right by the side of my table. If it were insurance purposes that stopped the tableside preparation, it seems to me it would apply to all the ships in the fleet. [/font]
[font='Bookman Old Style']I[/font][font='Bookman Old Style']t made logical sense to me, however, that they could not do these desserts/pastas in the Anytime Dining environment and it also made sense that if it stopped in the Anytime Dining rooms, they’d pull it from the Traditional as well – you know how passengers talk and then everyone wants one.[/font][/QUOTE]

Hmmm. We had flaming desserts on Norwegian Spirit in the freestyle restaurants which also is anytime dining. Sounds like the duty free shops isn't the only place Princess is selling its passengers a bill of goods.

Excellent review. After you have a few more cruises under your belt I'm sure they will get even better.

[QUOTE]Hmmm. We had flaming desserts on Norwegian Spirit in the freestyle restaurants which also is anytime dining. Sounds like the duty free shops isn't the only place Princess is selling its passengers a bill of goods.

Excellent review. After you have a few more cruises under your belt I'm sure they will get even better.[/QUOTE] [font='Bookman Old Style']Thanks, Pup…and I’m really trying to improve my reviewing skills, but you know you gotta be there and I’m having trouble cramming more than two cruises into a 12 month period! Not like some people heading for QM2 in a few weeks!! Lucky devil.[/font]
[font='Bookman Old Style'][/font][font='Bookman Old Style']Anyway, maybe NCL has some secret that they’ve figured out so they can keep the flames burning. Glad to hear you enjoyed Spirit and [/font][font='Bookman Old Style']Alaska[/font][font='Bookman Old Style']…[/font]

Wow! What a terrific review and excellent replies to everybody's questions. Thank you for being so honest and thorough. I had no idea about the refurbishment scheduled in November. Thanks for the Heads-Up. We cruise over the Christmas holiday - 15 day Panama Canal - and are very excited about it. Even more so now that we'll be aboard after some positive changes.

Anyway, thank you again.

Archived