National Express or Train from London to Southampton

sailinglisa

Globaliser,

Initially I was looking at the group save tickets which left from Victoria with the stop at Clapham to change trains. I thought is might be best to purchase the tickets before leaving home because it would be one less thing to do and also because many train lines offer 2 for 1 deals to a few of the sights I wanted to see. I figured I needed to purchase the tickets beforehand. After doing more research I realize that we can purchase groupsave tickets for the Waterloo route but not until we actually get to the station.

One more question, We have 5 people in our group and I expect that we will have 5 25" suitcases and maybe 2 22" suitcases. Will we be able to get all of this into 2 taxis or should I consider hiring a larger cab once we get to the hotel? I read online that the larger cabs must be pre-hired and that the concierge can make arrangements to do so.

Thanks for your advise,

Sheal

Two taxis will be enough.

It's possible that you could save some money by getting one people mover-sized "minicab" if everything could fit into that. But my impression is that this would be a bit of a squeeze. You're right about them having to be pre-booked, although only in the sense that they can't be flagged down on the street (which only proper taxis can do); often you can get a "minicab" within minutes if it's not a busy period. Naturally, if you get the hotel to call you one, the rates will almost certainly include the hotel's commission, but you might still be better off than getting two taxis.

As you can see, the term "minicab" doesn't necessarily refer to the size of the vehicle!

Thank you so much Globaliser,

My husband didn't think it would be a big deal to change trains but then again he doesn't know that the platform switch could involve 40 steps up and 40 steps down. If it was just the 2 of us we might try it. He also doesn't realize that the station is 100+ years old and not designed for the tourists with large, heavy bags. With other older family members involved it certainly is not worth the trouble.

Sheal

Archived