National Express or Train from London to Southampton

sailinglisa

Everyone here was so wonderful with answers to my previous quesitons about restaurants near the Hotel Russell. I have one more question for all of you (if you can stand it! :D )

I'm debating between taking the train from London to Southampton or the National Express bus service (I know this leaves from the Victoria Coach Station). I can get both rather cheap, and it really is only a 2 hour trip. My concern is my luggage. I will have two suitcases (a 26" and a 21" pullman type) and a purse and a backpack. I do have a back that is usually pretty good, but can go out of whack at any time, so I was wondering: do the trains have someone to help you get your luggage on and off or are you responsible for it......and where do you put it? I assume the bus would have luggage storage underneath the bus and the driver would handle loading and unloading (a nice tip included of course.)

Which of the two do you recommend? A private transfer is way out of my league!

Thanks in advance!

... I was wondering: do the trains have someone to help you get your luggage on and off or are you responsible for it......and where do you put it? I assume the bus would have luggage storage underneath the bus and the driver would handle loading and unloading (a nice tip included of course.)
The first thing to remember is that Waterloo station is rather closer to your hotel than Victoria coach station.

Second, there are two fast trains an hour (plus one slower one). The fast trains take about 1¼ hours (and the slower train just over 1½ hours). In contrast, there's only one coach an hour and it takes between 2½ and 3 hours. For these reasons, I personally would always choose the train.

However, if luggage is a real worry for you, then this is a factor to take into account. I haven't seen people regularly getting help with luggage, but you are only having to lift it a few inches to get it on board the train, and then carrying it a few feet inside the carriage. Basically you just stick the luggage wherever there's space - you're unlikely to be travelling at a time when every seat is needed.

I think that the coach drivers will help to load the luggage on and off the coach (into the underfloor compartment). No tip is necessary or expected - it's part of their job. But you'd still have to do some moving of it yourself, for example from wherever your taxi drops you off to the coach itself. Even if you get a trolley, you'd probably still have to load it on the trolley or unload it from the trolley. While the taxi driver might help you with one end of that, you'd still need to expect to have to manoeuvre it a bit - so there may not be a huge amount of difference between the train and the coach in this respect.

Globaliser, thanks for the information. I can handle my luggage during transfers, etc. I can handle it at the port and give it to the porter, and at taxi stations and I can wheel it on carts, etc. My main concern was having to lift it onto the train. If it is just a few inches (and I am going with a few other people and they would help with the lifting up - maybe we could form a chain line) then the train would be my choice!

Back here in the states, I love to ride trains, but not for commuting or traveling. I do them for sightseeing and they are always older trains that have high steps up into them. I guess I was using those entryways to trains as the standard and I should have allowed for more modern coaches. I think I will go with the train!

Sailinglisa - UK railways have platforms (virtually) at floor height for all trains, unlike US Railroads where a significant step up is often required. I've watched the California Zephyr call at Truckee CA and everyone joining the train via portable wooden steps - would never be accepted in the busy south of England (although I was surprised to see such steps at several stations in rural North-West England last week!).

Won't go into the laborious details, but our safety legislation basically means that all operators must work towards level access into trains at all stations, particularly when new trains are introduced. Trains on the Southampton line are no more than three years old and at major stations (like London Waterloo and Southampton) the step into the train is minimal. Train is much the best option from London to Southampton.

Hope this helps

Vortigern

I will second the point that the platforms are much higher in the UK than they are pretty much anywhere else, and that this makes a huge difference. In 2006 we cruised on Galaxy out of Civitavecchia and decided to use the trains to get to and from the port. Getting our bags on and off the trains was by far the hardest part of the journey - that big lift up is a real problem.

Whereas with UK trains it's almost just a normal pace, and (thanks to new regulations & new trains) is getting easier all the time.

For cruise passengers, luggage is the main differentiator.

National Express coaches have a formal luggage allowance of two cases neither of which can be heavier than 20kg. This is not usually enforced strictly, its up to the discretion of the driver. But get a jobsworth or a full bus...

By rail luggage is only limited to what you can carry. Normally rail is much more expensive, but you can get very cheap rail fares on the Waterloo to Southampton run by using Megatrain instead of using South Western Trains the operator of the trains. (Megatrain have the same parent company and use the same trains as South West Trains)

http://www.megatrain.co.uk/uk/

Sailinglisa,

I was on the 8/9 sailing out of Southampton. Arrived at Heathrow and took the National Coach Express Bus. The driver placed the luggage under the bus for us didn't check the size or weight of anyone's luggage. The trip took 1 1/2 hours and was very pleasant. We stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn in Southampton which is a 5 £ taxi ride to the cruise terminal and 5 £ from the bus station to the HI. Have a great trip. Chantal

I want to thank all of you who posted a response. There will be about 9 of us and a few hardy men who have said they will handle the luggage on and off the train for us, so I am all set (as are the rest of the ladies.)

We are going to buy the Megatrain tickets when they go on sale in a few days for 10/30. All told, it will cost me approximately $3.11 USD for the train ticket.......plus taxi costs too and from Waterloo Station and Southampton Central. I don't think that price can be beat.

Can someone just confirm one little detail for me? Taxi drop offs for Waterloo Station are at platform level, right? :)

Can someone just confirm one little detail for me? Taxi drop offs for Waterloo Station are at platform level, right?
The main official taxi drop off for Waterloo station (national services) is at platform level. There are other drop off points that taxis use that aren't, which are quicker if you have no luggage, but if you do have luggage then the driver will go around to the official drop off.

If this is for 30 October 2007, then Waterloo will still be hosting Eurostar services, which don't move away until a couple of weeks later. The driver ought to have the sense to ask you whether you want Eurostar or national services, but make sure there's no misunderstanding. The drop off for Eurostar is one floor down from the main platform level for national services.

Hi sailinglisa,

I think you made a good choice regarding taking the train. We just did it in reverse a few weeks ago and my husband and son were able to handle the luggage of the rest of us ( 3 more people) no problem.

Regarding the Megatrain. I tried and tried to purchase these tickets from their website and wasn't able. I was told by british posters that unless I have a credit card issued in UK I will not be able to do it. So we bought the tickets at the station on the day of departure.

Since you are a group, please notice that you might be able to benefit from the "group saver" fare we got. In this fare 4 adults travel for the price of two and kids are 1 GBP each. This did not require advance purchase.

After you arrived at Heathrow how hard was it to find the Express Bus to Southhampton? Or if we decide to take the train....after you arrive how hard is it to get to the train station? We (a group of 4) will be on a cruise of the British Isles with Grand Princess July 1, 2008. Thanks!

If you are getting the coach from Heathrow to Southampton, all you have to do is to follow the signs for bus station. It's an easy walk (5 to 10 minutes) from Terminals 1, 2 and 3. If you're at Terminal 4, you'll need to get to the central terminal area by the Heathrow Express transfer (this section is free). Arrangements for Terminal 5 are not known at this time.

Don't think of taking the train if you're at Heathrow. The train goes from central London. There's no point trying to use the train to get from Heathrow to Southampton.

• 2 weeks later...

As a British railway worker, I can tell you that all London main train station terminals are very easy to get to. Be careful with taxi drivers as they can go the long way round to get more money out of you. If your hotel is not near the station you require then I would suggest travelling on the Tube (London Underground). Fast and frequent services all over London.

Train tickets don't go on sale until at least 2-3 months in advance and you can arrange to pick them up from your departure station.

If you have lots of luggage and need help that's no trouble whatsoever! All you have to do when you get to your station is ask a member of the Customer Service staff if they will assist you with your luggage to your train and they will. They will also arrange for someone to meet you at the other end to assist you too. :D

Feel free to PM me if you require anymore info. :)

As a British railway worker, I can tell you that all London main train station terminals are very easy to get to. Be careful with taxi drivers as they can go the long way round to get more money out of you. If your hotel is not near the station you require then I would suggest travelling on the Tube (London Underground). Fast and frequent services all over London.

Train tickets don't go on sale until at least 2-3 months in advance and you can arrange to pick them up from your departure station.

If you have lots of luggage and need help that's no trouble whatsoever! All you have to do when you get to your station is ask a member of the Customer Service staff if they will assist you with your luggage to your train and they will. They will also arrange for someone to meet you at the other end to assist you too. :D

Feel free to PM me if you require anymore info. :)

ctcontrol, thanks for the offer, but we don't have PM features in this forum. So, if you want people to contact you, I would suggest using a free email account for this as you will tend to get a lot of unwanted spam if you use your official email account.

I am taking the Megatrain from Waterloo to Southampton in November and it is a good thing I have English friends to buy my tickets as they won't take US credit cards. :mad:

jc

ctcontrol,

We were thinking of using the group save tickets out of Victoria which involves a change of trains at Clapham. A few members on my roll expressed some concern about having to change platforms. Others have said it is manageable. What is your opinion of the station? My husband thinks he can manage if it is 2 stories but I have read that it may be close to 40 steps. We have 10 minutes to catch our train but can take another if we do miss the connection. Your advise would be appreciated.

Globaliser,

Do you any an idea of how much it would cost for a taxi to get us from the Hilton Olympia to Victoria Station? We have 5 in our group and I'm sure it will be 2 taxis, correct. Should we consider taking the tube to Victoria or would this be difficult considering that we will have luggage.

Thanks so much,

Sheal

We were thinking of using the group save tickets out of Victoria which involves a change of trains at Clapham. A few members on my roll expressed some concern about having to change platforms. Others have said it is manageable. What is your opinion of the station? My husband thinks he can manage if it is 2 stories but I have read that it may be close to 40 steps. We have 10 minutes to catch our train but can take another if we do miss the connection.

Do you any an idea of how much it would cost for a taxi to get us from the Hilton Olympia to Victoria Station? We have 5 in our group and I'm sure it will be 2 taxis, correct. Should we consider taking the tube to Victoria or would this be difficult considering that we will have luggage.

Personally, with luggage I would not advise changing at Clapham Junction unless you are feeling strong. The National Rail information for this station says:-
Step Free Access Note: In part. There are flights of between 28 and 40 steps up to every platform from the underpass at the station. However there is a starircreeper device to assist wheelchair users in ascending/descending the steps (1 hour should be allow for interchange). Wheelchair users are advised that they should allow an hour for transfer between platforms at Clapham Junction. In light of this, many passengers travelling on South West Trains services might prefer to remain on their train into London Waterloo (10 minutes more by rail) where there is step free access and they can connect with their train at it's starting point.
If you have luggage, you may well need to carry it downstairs and upstairs. The stairs to/from the underpass are also relatively steep. Although they're not dangerous, it doesn't help with luggage handling. I'm not sure whether there are lifts if you use the footbridges to change platforms, but you may have the same issue if you do this.

As for luggage on the Tube, the general advice is that you shouldn't try this unless you can pick up and carry (or wheel) all your luggage in one go, without shuttling backwards and forwards. If you don't have wheels, you also need to be able to carry it several tens of yards in one go. You also need to be able to carry it up or down stairs amounting to one storey, because there are many stations where there are no lifts or escalators, or they don't go all the way to/from platform level.

This applies to taking the Tube from Olympia to Victoria, because I think there are unavoidable stairs from the platform to the station concourse, and then again to street/mainline railway station level.

I don't know why you want to go from Victoria to Southampton? I think your best bet is to go to Waterloo by taxi (probably about £15 per taxi), which will drop you off at platform level. Then it's a direct train from Waterloo to Southampton Central.

Archived