What's so terrible about Deck 2?

Tikibird

I mean on Freedom of the Seas (or Liberty).

This is where the cheapest cabins are. After inspecting a deck plan, the cheapest category are aft and away from the main traffic areas so presumably they are quiet.

Decks 6-8 look like the cabins are packed in like sardines which would not appeal to me. Is being on a higher deck really that desirable?

We are speaking about inside cabins, don't want to pay extra for a window when we can go to the pool deck and see the ocean for free.

I would like to hear people's reasons for choosing or avoiding these cabins.

This is where the cheapest cabins are. After inspecting a deck plan, the cheapest category are aft and away from the main traffic areas so presumably they are quiet.

Decks 6-8 look like the cabins are packed in like sardines which would not appeal to me. Is being on a higher deck really that desirable?

We are speaking about inside cabins, don't want to pay extra for a window when we can go to the pool deck and see the ocean for free.

I would like to hear people's reasons for choosing or avoiding these cabins.

It is right above the engine room and usually very noisy, particularly when the thrusters are running early in the morning. Pass on these rooms if you can.

I have gotten outside cabins on the lower decks my last 2 cruises. They are usally more quiet when it comes to traffic, but you do hear the thruster when you dock in the mornings. Since we are usually up early it doesn't seem to bother us much. Also I believe the lower in the ship and middle of the ship you are the better it will be if you are prone to sea sickness.

I usually prefer the lower decks. I like to save my money for onboard activities and excusions, though I do splurge a little and get a window.

I was on Deck 2 on Enchantment, and the engine noise was HORRIBLE. However, I was on Deck 2 on Liberty, and there was NO noise whatsoever!!! And it wasn't really a longer walk to anywhere, just a few decks down on the elevator. I loved it! :)

My first cruise was on the Vision on deck 2 inside midship. It was so quiet I never heard any outside noise. I just depends on what you cabin is are near.

We were on Deck Two of Freedom of the Seas, but we did have an ocean view room. We heard no noise. We were very close to where the tender boats came in and the pilot boat. I think the door was just below us, but to the right a bit. IT was fun to watch the pilot boat arrive.

What I really liked about Deck Two was it is so close to the door you leave for excursions. You don't leave from the Fourth Floor for excursions; you leave from Deck One. Returning from excursions, we could just walk up one flight of stairs and not wait for the crowded elevators.

Also it doesn't have to be a long walk or any longer walk than any other deck. Walk to the elevator or stairs. That is it. Also it is closer to the dining room and theater. You only have to climb a couple of flights.

I can't speak for noise in inside rooms on Deck Two.

One bit of advice. Check your pricings on inside and ocean view. Sometimes you can get a guarantee oceanview for very little more than an inside room. You just have to be willing to take any oceanview room they give you. You can't choose your own.

My husband, in particular, prefers Deck Two and Three oceanviews to higher floors. We also know a few other people who say they specify Deck Two or Deck Three when they book.

I think you will be happy with the location of your cabins. We had an inside close to aft on Mariner on our first cruise. It was quiet. But I do prefer at least a window, so we don't book inside anymore. But honestly an inside room is just fine. Freedom is a beautiful ship. You won't spend all that much time in your room.

Hey, if you have lemons ..... In the Poseidon adventure movie (ship is capsized by tsunami) the only avenue of escape was the bottom of the ship because it was upside down. Sooooo, (heaven forbid) if the ship capsizes while you're in your bargain cabin you will be much closer to rescue.

We personally prefer higher up and balconies, but, whatever floats your boat, (pun intended).

The last time we had one of those cabins on level, 2 every other night we had to shovel coal at night to fuel the engines. On the alternate nights we had to man the bilge pumps. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Any cabin on a cruise is great, it is just that some are greater than others.

Have a great cruise no matter what catagory of cabin you select.

We were on deck 2 on Liberty last month,it was very quiet,only noise was from the tenders which was no problem and fun to watch. We had oceanview but have booked inside on deck 3 on Independance,there are 7 of us and it was difficult getting connecting rooms to take my 3 kids. Also at just under £10,000 ($20,000)( 2 doubles and a triple)I think quite a lot of money. We had a think about it and figured that we spent very little time in the room ,we woke up got dressed,went out,got changed for dinner and went out came back and went to bed. We loved deck 2 and only hope deck 3 is as good.:)

I was on Deck 2 on Enchantment, and the engine noise was HORRIBLE. However, I was on Deck 2 on Liberty, and there was NO noise whatsoever!!! And it wasn't really a longer walk to anywhere, just a few decks down on the elevator. I loved it! :)

OMG! We are on deck 2 - midship, Oceanview. Is it bad all over for deck 2?

Not sure which ship you're on, but we had a deck 2 midships cabin on Mariner, and it was just fine. It was actually fun being close to the ocean, and you have a big advantage for getting onto an elevator to the pool deck, since deck 2 is the end of the line for elevators.

I honestly don't know. I just know we were VERY forward, and the noise was really bad! :( But perhaps there was something under the ship forward that wasn't there midship, so you might be ok! :)

We had one bad experience in a very forward OV cabin on a lower deck. The first night out the captain was plowing through some rough seas to make some headway and the motion and noice from pounding the waves was BAD.

The rest of the cruise was smooth sailing and like a previous poster said, an oceanview cabin at sea level is a great view. You can see dolphins, sea birds staying right at your window view, waves splashing against the window - I liked it.

Then again, I've also been on ships where the plumbing problems seem to be in the lower cabin areas. (all caused by people throwing unflushable stuff in the toilets and crashing entire systems) YUK

OK, from what I have read, deck 2 would be fine for us. We are the sort who spend very little time in the cabins anyway. The one thing that would worry me is a pseudo upgrade to an inside cabin on the higher decks where they have them all packed in like sardines. I would be happy to take an upgrade to an outside cabin anywhere but the high density of insides on the upper decks dpesn't appeal to me. How can you avoid an unwanted upgrade?

OK, from what I have read, deck 2 would be fine for us. We are the sort who spend very little time in the cabins anyway. The one thing that would worry me is a pseudo upgrade to an inside cabin on the higher decks where they have them all packed in like sardines. I would be happy to take an upgrade to an outside cabin anywhere but the high density of insides on the upper decks dpesn't appeal to me. How can you avoid an unwanted upgrade?

The inside cabins are all the same size, what difference would it make? If you are on deck two there will be doors next to you, but they will be rooms used by staffers or for some other ancillary function. They will still be crammed together though.

We were on the second to last room in back on deck 2 last year FOS. There was no noise no vibration and the window was very close to the water which was very cool when the seas were high. I don't have a problem with these rooms and the price was right I had just as much fun at the bottom as I have had staying in a balcony room. We leave Miami on the 13th on Liberty this year. We have a family ocean view on deck 9 looking straight out the front.

If you book a specific cabin and are assigned a cabin number, chances are you won't get an upgrade, especially from a lower deck. If you book a guarantee you are usually assured an upgrade to the best available cabin in the category you pay for. It varies with cruiselines.

You will be better off picking the exact cabin you want based on traffic flow and getting the cabin locked in through your agent or RCL. I always pick out my own cabin (they are not created equal) Make sure you are not below a crowded noisy venue. Be wary of big vacant open spaces. That could be an engine/laundry/galley area.

I booked under the pool once - BIG MISTAKE. Heard water sloshing around all night.

Tell your TA or RCCI if you book direct with them that you do not want any upgrade or cabin changes from the one you have selected. This information will be then be added to your reservation.

Archived