Can you buy liquor bottles on the ship?

Asil65

I am new to RCI. Some cruiselines let you buy a bottle of vodka to keep in your cabin. I looked on the RCI site and it looks like they only sell wine packages that you can use at dinner. One plus is that they let you take the opened bottle back yo your room. If you buy wine are you able to keep wine unopened in your cabin? Has anyone ever been able to buy a bottle of liquor that they have kept in their cabin? Sounds like smuggling is strictly enforced and I don't want to mess with that.

You cannot buy a bottle of liquor to bring back to your cabin. If you buy alcohol on board, they will keep it until the last night and deliver it to your cabin. We have never had a problem bringing back wine and keeping it in our cabin. Our cabin steward always kept it iced down for us. There is even a corkscrew in the cabins.

Ann

I am new to RCI. Some cruiselines let you buy a bottle of vodka to keep in your cabin. I looked on the RCI site and it looks like they only sell wine packages that you can use at dinner. One plus is that they let you take the opened bottle back yo your room. If you buy wine are you able to keep wine unopened in your cabin? Has anyone ever been able to buy a bottle of liquor that they have kept in their cabin? Sounds like smuggling is strictly enforced and I don't want to mess with that.

There is a duty free shop onboard where you can purchase liquor. Unfortunately, they will not allow you to take it to your cabin. :( :(

If you buy a wine package, again, you generally aren't allowed to take it back to your cabin but if you have an unfinished bottle, the steward will hold it for you to enjoy during another meal, and even will transfer it to a speciality restaurant if you desire.

Like the others have mentioned the ship will hold your purchase until the end of your sailing. With that said, my advice would be to wait until the last couple of days of your sailing before buying liquor onboard...they markdown the prices and you can get even better deals.

There is a duty free shop onboard where you can purchase liquor. Unfortunately, they will not allow you to take it to your cabin. :( :(

If you buy a wine package, again, you generally aren't allowed to take it back to your cabin but if you have an unfinished bottle, the steward will hold it for you to enjoy during another meal, and even will transfer it to a speciality restaurant if you desire.

Actually you can take back a unfinished bottle of wine to your cabin or even a full one but they must be ordered while in one of their restaurants with the wine and dine package.

I understand about not being able to bring the duty free liquor back to your cabin. On Princess you could pay ship prices, much more than the duty free price, and have a bottle of something in your cabin. I guess RC only lets you do that with wine. I wonder why?

I understand about not being able to bring the duty free liquor back to your cabin. On Princess you could pay ship prices, much more than the duty free price, and have a bottle of something in your cabin. I guess RC only lets you do that with wine. I wonder why?

The "why" is a combination of a few events along with passenger abuse.....not to mention an insatiable need for revenue. :D This has led to RCI being one of the only cruise lines to not allow passengers to purchase a bar set-up for the cabin and bring wine onboard.

They had some really drunk passengers fall overboard and have had a problem with underage drinking in the cabins. This is what led to the restriction.

Like the others have mentioned the ship will hold your purchase until the end of your sailing. With that said, my advice would be to wait until the last couple of days of your sailing before buying liquor onboard...they markdown the prices and you can get even better deals.

Thanks for the heads up!:)

Another thing you may want to keep in mind is what customs allow you to bring back into the US, I don't remember the exact policy but last year it was not a large amount to if you buy more then the limit plan on hiding in you luggage when you go leave the ship. We were not searched but you still maybe be searched by customs, I do not know what happens they may just confiscate it or fine you. They do have good prices.

116.jpg

You don't need to hide any liquor you bring back to the U.S., over and above the duty-free limit. All you have to do is declare it on your customs form. The worst that will happen is that you'll pay a few dollars of customs duties. Often, they will just wave you through - a sort of reward for honesty, I guess.

I wouldn't suggest trying to "smuggle" extra alcohol off the ship. I suspect that Customs can get even more cranky than RCL about it. :rolleyes:

The "why" is a combination of a few events along with passenger abuse.....not to mention an insatiable need for revenue. :D This has led to RCI being one of the only cruise lines to not allow passengers to purchase a bar set-up for the cabin and bring wine onboard.

isn't that the fact

I did not realize you have to declare over the limit, does that mean you have to pay taxes on it? All I remember seeing is signs about how much you are allowed even with the cigarettes I believe the cashier said you are allowed a carton and 5 packs per person.

I just did a little research and came across this on this website

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ftc/articles.cfm?ID=63

Customs

For cruises disembarking in the U.S., you will have to fill out a Customs Declaration form (one per family), which you'll receive on the ship -- if you get off the ship in Canada, you clear customs when you get to the airport; and for Europe cruises you clear Customs when you return to the U.S. Customs inspectors don't check each and every bag, but you don't want to get caught breaking the rules. There are stiff fines, for instance, for bringing back Cuban cigars. The standard allowance for a U.S. citizen is $800 per traveler (kids count too) in duty-free goods. That can include 1 carton of cigarettes or 100 cigars and 1 liter of alcohol if you are over 21. If you go over the limits you may have to pay a 10% tax. There are of course exceptions to the rules, and you can find more details at www.cbp.gov.

Darn, that's why I need to have kids - so I can put my purchases through under their customs allowance! :)

Someone mentioned Princess.. they stopped allowing you to buy a bottle for the room, too. Now they sell these mini set ups of (I think) a 350ml bottle (small) with a mixer... and you are limited to very specific lower end brands. For instance, Smirnoff is the only type of vodka.

Darn, that's why I need to have kids - so I can put my purchases through under their customs allowance! :)

Someone mentioned Princess.. they stopped allowing you to buy a bottle for the room, too. Now they sell these mini set ups of (I think) a 350ml bottle (small) with a mixer... and you are limited to very specific lower end brands. For instance, Smirnoff is the only type of vodka.

Check out Princess' *offerings*.

Liquor & Mixer Packages

Gin and Tonic Package (Gordons)

One 375 ml bottle of Gin and 3 cans of Tonic Item #2300 $19.50

Scotch and Soda Package (J & B Rare)

One 375 ml bottle of Scotch and 3 cans of soda water Item #2301 $19.50

Vodka and Tonic Package (Smirnoff)

One 375 ml bottle of Vodka and 3 cans of Tonic Item #2302 $19.50

Bourbon and Coke Package (Jim Beam)

One 375 ml bottle of bourbon and 3 cans of Coke Item #2303 $19.50

Rum and Coke Package (Bacardi White)

One 375 ml bottle of White Rum and 3 cans of Coke Item #2304 $19.50

Beer Package

Choose any of the following beers and receive six for the price of five; Beck's, Coors Light, Dos Equis, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Lite. Item #2310 $20.75

Soda Package

Choose any 6 sodas listed below in any combination for the price of 5; Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Diet Sprite, orange soda, soda water, tonic water, ginger ale. Item #2311 $10.75

Nope, but take it with you in your checked baggage if you want. The have to xray thousands of bags so the chance of finding yours is minimal and worth the chance. If you are caught they just take it away from you for the remainder of the trip and return it when you leave.

My RCI brochure for Navigator of the Seas European sailings states that my promenade cabin has a mini bar. Can anyone confirm was this contains. On MSC last year the mini bar was stocked with whatever minature bottles of spirits we requested and sold at the same price as in the bars. Less than 6 weeks till my Navigator cruise to the Canary Islands, can't wait

My RCI brochure for Navigator of the Seas European sailings states that my promenade cabin has a mini bar. Can anyone confirm was this contains. On MSC last year the mini bar was stocked with whatever minature bottles of spirits we requested and sold at the same price as in the bars. Less than 6 weeks till my Navigator cruise to the Canary Islands, can't wait

There is a "mini bar" BUT it is only stocked with soft drinks and snacks - no alcohol.

Archived