Ice Skating question

Jake's Mom

Is it worth bringing your own skates? Are the skates they provide OK or really poor quality?

Hi Daniel,

Our grand daughter (18) did skate on the Explorer using the skates provided. She said they were not the best skates but not bad either.

There is very few times that the ring ( and the ring is small) is available for 'public' skating and there were a lot of people on the ring, so no one is going to do any serious skating, ..... All it is - it is just that someone will say that they did skate on a cruise ship.

When one has their own skates there is an additional time provided for these people only so there might be less people on the ice - but it still is the same small ring, so it is not a big thing anyhow.

In my opinion it is not worth to bring your own skates.

Wes

Yes you can bring your own skates, there is a special skate time too for people with their own skates since they are considered "experts". You are required to wear long pants to skate.

OK, that made me laugh when you consider the skimpy outfit professional skaters wear!!

firefly333, you can skate for longer than 30 minutes. My family and I just returned recently from FOS and my daughter and I skated on the last sea day for 2 1/2 hours straight. The first forty minutes was dedicated to family skating and this time was the most crowded, after that the crowd thinned out. By the last 40 minutes, there were maybe a dozen of people on the ice and that's mainly because of the many other activities on the ship.

The key is just reviewing the Navigator and scheduling your time.

Archived