Harrison Caves, North Point, Bathsheba

TOgal1009

Does anyone know if Harrison Caves is opened in December? Our ship does not offer this attraction. Not sure why since it suppose to be a popular tourist attraction.

Also, anyone that has been to this attraction, is it worth the time? How much does it cost for a tour and taxi? Any recommendation on a tour guide?

There is only 2 of us but we would also like to tour around the island and check out other places (ie. North Point, Bathsheba, Atlantis Hotel, Baobab Tree, Bridgetown, Rum Tour). We don't mind joining larger groups if it is going to help us with our expenses.

Any suggestions on what we should skip? :confused:

Sorry with all the questions. We are first timers and want to see the best of Barbados. :)

Thanks.

TOgal109, read through the other threads on this board about the caves. You'll find lots of information. I believe they are scheduled to re-open some time in December. Maybe the cruiseline is hesitant to publish excursion descriptions until the caves have actually re-opened?

Please check through the boards for the info re the Caves.

In a nutshell..

The Caves have been closed since Jun 06 (with the exception of about 1 month in April 07 to service those people visiting for the Cricket World Cup). It is supposed to (fingers crossed) re-open in Mid December. Not sure of an exact date, and it may be later rather than sooner..

This is why it's not offered.. however,, if it is open at that time, your cruise line may have added the tour at the last minute, so keep your eyes and ears open.

we would also like to tour around the island and check out other places (i.e. North Point, Bathsheba, Atlantis Hotel, Baobab Tree, Bridgetown, Rum Tour).

Don't know if this is what you meant but

here http://www.angelfire.com/wizard2/cncisland/bigships/baobab.html

are a few recent pics of one of our two Baobab trees on the island.

I believe I'm right in saying this one pictured is the smaller of the two!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone been there recently? How would you rate it? Worth going to or save your money! Thanks

We were there and I would say that it was definitely worth it. But that is the opinion of someone who is very interested in caves. It is quite large and you ride through on a tram. I found it very interesting and beautiful.

We were there and I would say that it was definitely worth it. But that is the opinion of someone who is very interested in caves. It is quite large and you ride through on a tram. I found it very interesting and beautiful.

Thanks for your input

Thanks for your input

I also noticed that someone above referenced a tour company. I looked at their site and their tour to the caves is listed at $52.00 per person. We hired a cab to take us there and a few other places and paid approx $80.00 for four people. However, that was several years ago now.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the chambers are like 40-50 ft. high, over your head!

I've never been conscious of it being "close" when you're in there.

It's attractively lit, with much to see including running water!

and I've never heard of anyone being claustrophobic in there.

There are no tight spaces, in fact it's remarkably open and spacious.

It'll be dark a lot of the time (but with lighting)

and there is a spot where the tour guide briefly turns the lights off so you can appreciate was absolute total darkness is like

but that only lasts about 5-10 secs

so if you're also afraid of the dark, you may want to hold his hand real tight or just close yer eyes?

Here's a shot my grand-dau. took.. *

it shows the new bank of three elevators that takes you down to the gully-floor level

where you actually access the entrance to the cave.

HCaves-elevators-316.jpg

* The structure doesn't actually lean 6 degrees to the left, like that..sorry :o

- it's quite upright and safe!

You start up top where you enter the public area with ample parking

(that was always a problem: parking!) -and an orientation area etc.

This was all part of the big renovation project that took a year or so.

Here's a shot my grand-dau. took.. *

it shows the new bank of three elevators that takes you down to the gully-floor level

where you actually access the entrance to the cave.

HCaves-elevators-316.jpg

* The structure doesn't actually lean 6 degrees to the left, like that..sorry :o

- it's quite upright and safe!

You start up top where you enter the public area with ample parking

(that was always a problem: parking!) -and an orientation area etc.

This was all part of the big renovation project that took a year or so.

Thanks, aplmac! I didn't think there was a "Leaning Tower of Barbados" :D! Thanks for the other info, too. I'm not afraid of the dark, but holding hands sounds like a good idea!

• 1 month later...

Archived