Is Our TA Up To Something?

GTO-Girl

I posted this on the Ask A Cruise Question, but someone suggested I ask here since it is Carnival that we will be traveling on....

My cousin is a "travel agent" but about the only thing she does is organize a group cruise every year on which she and her husband also go.

My question is this....for the second year she is collecting an extra $70 up front from everyone and in return she says we get a $100 obc. Why doesn't she just say everyone has a $30 obc? Something just sounds "fishy" about this to me.

Does anyone have any idea what the reason is behind this? Just doesn't make sense to me....

Thanks

Dianne

I posted this on the Ask A Cruise Question, but someone suggested I ask here since it is Carnival that we will be traveling on....

My cousin is a "travel agent" but about the only thing she does is organize a group cruise every year on which she and her husband also go.

My question is this....for the second year she is collecting an extra $70 up front from everyone and in return she says we get a $100 obc. Why doesn't she just say everyone has a $30 obc? Something just sounds "fishy" about this to me.

Does anyone have any idea what the reason is behind this? Just doesn't make sense to me....

Thanks

Dianne

.....sounds like Carnival is offering your group a 100 obc.......and she wants 70 of it to tell you about it.....;)

Since there is no such thing as $30 onboard credit....

6 group amenity points will give you $100 onboard credit per cabin.

I know some group leaders do upcharge their group members ...the money actually pays for the group leaders berth. but $70... whoa......

I can't make the math work.. and I'm a ta.

Is it possible that the $70 is the prepaid tips? If a once a year group cruise is the only "ta-ing" this person does, perhaps she just isn't knowledgeable enough to know exactly what she is collecting for and getting.

She may not be up to anything. Are your tips included?

ETA: Great minds think alike, crdtrnr!

Maybe its a Carnival cruise.

I can't see where that is relevant to what her cousin is asking them to do. Could be any cruiseline. I'm just confused why she was advised at the ask a question site why she needed to post this at the Carnival site? Anyone who knows about cruising and groups could answer this question, it's generic, IMHO. Sorry. Just confused why this needed to be brought here?? Doesn't matter, just a rhetorical question.

I can't see where that is relevant to what her cousin is asking them to do. Could be any cruiseline. I'm just confused why she was advised at the ask a question site why she needed to post this at the Carnival site? Anyone who knows about cruising and groups could answer this question, it's generic, IMHO. Sorry. Just confused why this needed to be brought here?? Doesn't matter, just a rhetorical question.

Because it's a CARNIVAL GROUP CRUISE. All cruise lines have different quirks to their group cruise policies. She's asking us cos maybe someone on here is more knowledgeable about Carnival's group perks.

Don't get your knickers in a twist; the OP is not accusing Carnival of anything. The issue is with the cousin/TA.

This question was originally posted on "Ask a Cruise Question," and someone suggested the question be posted here, in case all you Carnival cheerleaders might know something specific about CCL's OBC programs.

Don't get your knickers in a twist; the OP is not accusing Carnival of anything. The issue is with the cousin/TA.

This question was originally posted on "Ask a Cruise Question," and someone suggested the question be posted here, in case all you Carnival cheerleaders might know something specific about CCL's OBC programs.

Knickers weren't in a twist, I was just curious. Now, having gone back and reread OP's original post again I see that she said the cousin organizes a group cruise each year. I completely missed that part. Sorry OP. That'll teach me to try and multitask when I am watching my team lose to South freakin' Florida (FTLOG).

The usual policy is that those who organize a group will get a free cabin, or at least one person is free. I had a TA(friend). who charged more than I could find it on line, who by organizing the group got the free trip and the extra charged paid for her husband. Perhaps this is something along those lines.

Does anyone have any idea what the reason is behind this? Just doesn't make sense to me...

Thanks

Dianne

I bet if it's an extra $70 per person and if you're on a 7 day cruise she's prepaying tips and has spent points to get you $100 onboard credit per cabin, two unrelated parts of the deal.

Some people communicate better than others. She probably has your best interests in mind.

Oh she could be your newly discovered shyster relative who the fam will be talking about behind her back for years now that you've uncovered her sinister plot. If so, make her go to Camp Carnival. The 3-5 age group would probably be just about right. They learn about sharing there.

I bet if it's an extra $70 per person and if you're on a 7 day cruise she's prepaying tips and has spent points to get you $100 onboard credit per cabin, two unrelated parts of the deal.

Some people communicate better than others. She probably has your best interests in mind.

Oh she could be your newly discovered shyster relative who the fam will be talking about behind her back for years now that you've uncovered her sinister plot. If so, make her go to Camp Carnival. The 3-5 age group would probably be just about right. They learn about sharing there.

Good point, could be she's prepaying the tips.

You should be able to trust your agent, whether it be a relative or not....With all the competition, any agent you work with should be doing all it takes to make you happy & confident they are putting 100% into your booking.

It's very unlikely your cousin receives any benefits & is able to stay in the business booking only 1 group cruise a year.

Just go to any online cruise agency & compare your rate. May not be the same due to time of booking, but should give you an idea.

Tips were prepaid when we first booked the cruise so this has nothing to do with it.

We are just not going to pay this and let it go. Not worth causing a riff in the family.

Thanks for everyone's opinion

Then why would you bring it up here? I would just ask her what it's for. Now we are all cruious if it is not for tips.

GROUP FUN POINTS AND FLEXI-PRICING

Choose your points... choose your price!

Carnival Fun Points allow you to combine our preferred group rates with the amenities that you need to make your

program work or to take advantage of an even lower rate without amenities. Fun Points allow you the flexibility to

choose the price and amenities that fit your needs. Here's how it works:

Each sailing has a specific number of suggested Fun Points available (between 0 and 12) for group bookings (Fun

Points are subject to change and depend on inventory availability).

Use suggested Fun Points: Choose amenities until you use up all your points. With this option, you will be able

to take advantage of our menu of amenity selections and discounted group pricing.

Choose the lowest price: If your group wants the lowest group rate available, ask the Group Sales Department

for the no-amenities rate. If Fun Points apply on the sailing, the rate will be reduced.

Choose just what you need: Select only the amenities that you need for your group and reduce the price of the

cruise by giving up some of your suggested Fun Points.

Choose more amenities: Additional Fun Points can usually be "bought." Tell the group res agent which amenities

you need, and we will calculate their point value and quote the new (higher) group price including the extra

amenities.

Here's an example of each choice showing the effects on pricing:

Carnival Triumph 7 Day Cruise - 6 Suggested Fun Points with 4A at $599 including NCF

Use the six suggested points - RATE: $599, POINTS: 6: Champagne and Chocolates (1 pt), $100 per stateroom

on board credit (4 pts), Shared Cocktail Party (1 pt)

Choose the lowest price: - RATE: $557, POINTS: 0: No amenities

Choose just what you need - RATE: $571, POINTS: 2: Private cocktail party (2 pts)

Choose more amenities to meet your needs - RATE: $641, POINTS: 12: Champagne & Chocolates (1 pt), Bottle

of House White Wine (1 pt), Private Cocktail party (2 pts), 1 free for 10 (4 pts), $100 per stateroom on board

credit (4 pts).

Carnival's Group Fun Points provide an innovative and exciting approach to group pricing. In addition to group

discounts, Fun Points provide another tool to help you succeed in developing group business.

All amenities apply only to full fare (first/second) guests in stateroom, unless otherwise noted.

Attached is a listing of the available amenities and their point value based on cruise duration.

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES, CARNIVAL PLACE,

3655 NW 87 AVENUE, MIAMI, FLORIDA 33178-2428

GROUP SALES: 305-599-2666; 800-327-5782

email: groupsales@carnival.com

GRFP AGT 0906 - 1

Carnival FUN POINTS

Choose Your Points, Choose Your Price

Min. Staterooms 3 4 5 6 7 8 10+

Required day day day day day day day

COMPLIMENTARIES/GIFTS

Bon Voyage Champagne and Chocolates

Bon Voyage Sparkling Cider and Chocolates

Premium Bottle of Champagne and Canapes

Bottle of house White wine (in stateroom or at dinner)

Bottle of house Red wine (in stateroom or at dinner)

Bottle of White wine, cheese and crackers

Bottle of Red wine, cheese and crackers

Carnival Robes

Photo Coupon

8 x 10 Group photo

Bon Voyage Memory Box

Carnival Tote Bag

Shared Cocktail Party

Private Cocktail Party

Coffee-Danish Breakfast Meeting

Carnival Corporate University Seminar (one session)

3 2 2 2 1 1 1

3 2 2 2 1 1 1

7 5 4 4 3 3 2

1 1 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1 1

4 3 2 2 2 2 2

4 3 2 2 2 2 2

6 5 4 4 3 2 2

3 2 2 2 1 1 1

3 2 2 2 1 1 1

2 2 2 1 1 1 1

2 2 1 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1 1

2 2 2 2 2 2 2

1 1 1 1 1 1 1

N/A 5 4 3 3 3 2

PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES

Extra $20pp off 3rd/4th rates

$20pp Bus Allowance (paid after sailing)1

$30pp Bus Allowance (paid after sailing)1

Fund Raiser

7 5 4 4 3 3 2

7 5 4 4 3 3 2

10 8 6 6 4 4 3

5 5 5 5 5 5 5

ONBOARD CREDIT2

$25/stateroom

$50/stateroom

$75/stateroom

$100/stateroom

$200/stateroom

2 2 1 1 1 1 N/A

4 3 3 3 2 2 1

6 5 4 4 3 3 2

8 6 5 5 4 4 3

N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 6

UPGRADES

Based on inventory availability,assigned at final payment;one per group;only applies within category type (i.e.interior to interior)

One Category Interior, Oceanview or Balcony

Two Categories Interior, Oceanview, or Balcony

1 1 1 1 1 1 1

2 2 2 2 2 2 2

REDUCED TOUR CONDUCTOR RATIOS

A maximum of one tour conductor amenity can be chosen per group

1-for-12

1-for-10

1-for-8

Extra Free Berth/25 guests (max 4)

2 2 2 2 2 2 2

4 3 3 4 4 4 4

6 5 5 6 6 7 7

3 3 3 3 3 4 4

BONUS COMMISSION2

$25/stateroom

$50/stateroom

$75/stateroom

$100/stateroom

4 3 3 3 2 2 1

8 6 5 5 4 3 3

N/A 9 8 7 5 5 4

N/A N/A 10 9 7 6 5

UPFRONT STATEROOM

1 Agent Rate Stateroom 15

222222 2

Group Leader Suite Upgrade 20

222333 3

NOTES

Please note that the minimum stateroom requirements, will be enforced on all groups.

Amenities are capacity controlled and point values are subject to change.

1. Bus allowances will be paid after the group has sailed.

2. A maximum of one onboard credit or bonus commission can be purchased per group.

3. Amenities may not apply on certain rate codes and are only available in category 4A and above; check your group booking "Statement

of Group Request" for details

GRFP AGT 0906 - 2

CARNIVAL FUN POINTS

TERMS FOR FUN POINTS

COMPLIMENTARIES/GIFTS

Complimentary gift orders may be delivered with group leader's or organization's compliments if desired. Delivery day to

be confirmed by Carnival.

Group Photos must be scheduled two (2) weeks in advance of sailing with Group Event Planning. One photo per full fare

guest. Make your reservation early because group photo appointments are limited.

Photo Coupon ($15 value) - One per stateroom.

Bon Voyage Memory Box includes a keepsake photo album,four photo frame/mailing cards,and his and hers rubber photo

frames. One per stateroom.

Carnival Tote is a canvas logoed bag. One per each first/second guest in stateroom, maximum 2.

Robes - Maximum of two robes per stateroom.

Shared party is one hour open bar with dry snacks shared among other groups booked into this promotional category on

the same sailing. Scheduling at Carnival's discretion.

Private party is one hour open bar with hot and cold hors d'oeuvres and is scheduled at Carnival's discretion.

One coffee-danish breakfast meeting. Must be scheduled two (2) weeks prior to sailing with Groups Event Planning. One

per group. Make your reservation early because meeting space is limited.

Carnival Corporate University sessions can be used for team building or professional development. Must be scheduled at

least 4 weeks prior to sailing. One session per group. For details, check: http://www.carnivalmeetings.com and click on

"Corporate University."

PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES

Fundraiser:CCL will match funds raised by the non-profit organization up to $5 per person,per day,i.e.,3 day cruise $15 per

person, 8 day cruise $40 per person. "Contribution" check, based on actual number of staterooms sailed, will be made payable

to the non-profit organization and mailed c/o the travel agency after the sailing.

Proof of fundraiser must be submitted in order for contribution check to be paid.

If the group marks up the cruise to cover fund raising, a signed credit card authorization must be submitted for any staterooms

charged in excess of the cruise fare.

ON BOARD CREDITS

Credits apply per stateroom and are split evenly between first two guests in stateroom.

UPGRADES

Based on inventory availability, one per group. Upgraded cabin numbers are not assigned until final payment for the group is

received. Only applies within category type, (i.e, interior to interior). Once upgrades have been confirmed, this amenity may

not be changed. Two category upgrades may not be available on some ships or in some categories.

Upgrades to suites are not available.

REDUCED TOUR CONDUCTOR RATIOS

Require a minimum of eight staterooms to be booked.

A maximum of one tour conductor amenity can be chosen per group. One for 12 means that the 13th full fare guest is

complimentary, 1 for 8 means that the 9th is complimentary, etc.

Extra Free berth/25 guests - Allows one additional free berth for each 25 full fare guests in addition to the normal comp

policy. Maximum of 4 additional free berths. BONUS COMMISSIONS

Bonus Commissions apply to fully paid staterooms, excluding agent rates or other reduced special net rates. Paid after sailing.

UPFRONT STATEROOM

$35/day agent rate stateroom to be used by travel agent and his/her guest sharing the stateroom. Stateroom to be assigned

by Carnival on a TBA basis in the category where the majority of the space is sold,subject to availability.

Group Leader Suite upgrade provided at time group reaches 20 sold/fully deposited staterooms. Upgrade is to category 12

or 11, subject to availability. At least 50% of the staterooms must be booked in oceanview or higher categories. The

stateroom receiving the upgrade will be upgraded from a category 8A rate (or from 6C rate on ships where 8A is not a

valid category).

BUYING DOWN RATES

If Fun Points are used to reduce the group fare and the group finalized with less than 5 staterooms, then the reduction will

no longer apply and all cabins will be re-priced.

GRFP AGT 0906 - 3

Archived