If we could settle one issue forever...

srphnx

What issue would you like to see settled once and for all and why?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. What issue would you like to see settled once and for all and why?

• Formal means formal?
    • Anytime vs. Tradtional dining?
    • Booze smuggling ok?
    • Cruise cost discounting?
    • Specific Cabin vs. Guarentee?
    • Auto tip vs. Evelope?

I get tired of the booze "smuggling" threads. If you have to sneak it on, you already know it is wrong so why are you asking if it's ok? You are going to do it anyway so just go ahead and smuggle, but don't be looking for excuses. Just because everyone else does it, doesn't make it right. If you are asking if it is okay to openly carryon -good question- all lines are different about soda,beer,etc.--but asking for creative ways to smuggle and trying to justify it is silly.

I don't know why the carrying of your own booze onboard is reffered to as "smuggling" - Just because the Princess Policy is wrong or is designed so you will buy their booze doesn't make it smuggling.

When you book a hotel room noone stops you from taking your own bottle to your room - so what is the difference - they allow beer, wine and soft drinks - they should allow booze.

The Princess purchased, other than specialty drinks, are pretty dismal - one has to order a triple or quadruple martini to get one that can be called a drink.

If Princess has your "specialty" available for room service then there is no need to carryon - If they don't it should be allowed.

That's my opinion and I will stick by it!!

Steve - who is going to be your 24/7 delegate for posting while you are on your September cruise or will you be using the Princess internet cafe??

Ron

FORMAL MEANS FORMAL

I love formal night, and I have so many bargains now, I am set for life, but I keep looking!! :eek:

I'm like Sue, I have what I call my 'Cruise Closet' and can be ready to go in the length of time it takes to throw the stuff into a suit case. :p Life here on the bay is pretty laid back and I really enjoy getting dressed up a couple of times a year onboard a ship. Even have gotten hubby to admit the tux is darn comfortable. I am glad though that they have dropped 'semi-formal', now that was a pain in the neck. :eek:

I wish Princess would stand by their policy of dressing in formal wear for the dining rooms. Sometimes they tell people they need to be dressed or go to the buffet and other times they let people sit when not dressed formally. They should be consistent with their dress suggestions.

I like dressing up. Our friends do not and only sail on Windstar ~ no formal nights on that ship. They like small ships and the very casual attire so they choose a ship that suits their tastes.

We will have a mixed bunch on our next cruise since the first formal night is Halloween and I've read that many will dress in costume.

When you book a hotel room noone stops you from taking your own bottle to your room - so what is the difference - they allow beer, wine and soft drinks - they should allow booze.

Actually, many states have laws prohibiting taking liquor purchased off-premises to a hotel room. Believe it or not.

I don't know why the carrying of your own booze onboard is reffered to as "smuggling" - Just because the Princess Policy is wrong or is designed so you will buy their booze doesn't make it smuggling. Ron
As long as it's against the rules, whether the rules are right or wrong, it's still "smuggling" to me. But if it makes you feel better, maybe people who carry on liquor can be said to be practicing "civil disobedience".:D Donia

I love formal night, and I have so many bargains now, I am set for life, but I keep looking!! :eek:

I look forward to buying myself a new formal or two---I don't want to be wearing the same dress in all my formal pictures year after year. :D

Lisa

I voted in the landslide majority of "formal is formal". I don't think anyone will ever change an opinion on this no matter how long it is debated. It also seems to be the one topic most likely to start the insults.:rolleyes:

I vote for formal to be formal all evening.

I'd also like smart casual, or did it used to be called semi-formal, to include sport jackets with open collar for men. This description seems to have disappreaed from most ships.

To me, cruising must have its formal evenings, all evening long, as the "required dress code" in all main rooms. There already seems to be a lot of accommodating for the jeans and tees crowd. They can still get lobster in Horizon Court and in room service if they don't want to dress for dinner.

Is nothing sacred? Must the jeans and tees crowd take away the tradition of formal nights on a cruise? It seems we hear more and more the "it's my vacation and I'll do what I want" response.

I seemed to have voted way differently! I seriously planned to vote making formal, formal. Then I decided I wish the cruise discounting thing would end, by meaning an end to the NO-discounting! I would like it to be just like it has, so that's why I voted for it! (I know, wishful thinking on my part! :rolleyes: )

I'm all for making formal - FORMAL. Like Sue says, don't suggest it, carve it in stone. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of Formal Nights.

I would be afraid tho, if they dropped the policy that we would have folks coming from the pool to dinner. :eek:

Yup. Absolutely.

The "carrying" of liquor on board can hardly be called a civil disobedience - there are no civil or maritome laws prohibiting this action. It is a Princess policy that was only placed in effect in the last 3 or 4 years - maybe less. Prior to that it was not a problem. At the peir in San Juan, in the past, I purchased liquor in a duty free store which was located after embarkation check in and carried it on board in open bags provided by the store.

The real reason for the policy, IMHO, was to improve on board bar revenues.

Formal, please. Sometimes I think that some folks on these boards just goad others to "stir the pot." You don't want to dress formally? Go to the buffet. But please stop with the "it's my vacation, I paid my money, and I'll dress anyway I like" nonsense.

Thanks.

[color=#3300cc][font=Verdana]“Enforce the policy, or drop it.”[/font][/color]

[color=#3300cc][font=Verdana]“Princess should once and for all deal with their dress codes and enforce whatever they are…”[/font][/color]

[color=#3300cc][font=Verdana]“…carve it in stone.”[/font][/color]

[color=#3300cc][font=Verdana]“I wish Princess would stand by their policy of dressing in formal wear for the dining rooms.”[/font][/color]

[color=#3300cc][font=Verdana]“You don't want to dress formally? Go to the buffet.”[/font][/color]

[color=#3300cc][font=Verdana]I pulled all the above from this thread. I have stayed on the sidelines for this one, until now. However, I feel that I have as much right to post an opinion as anyone else. Since this is on the Princess board, I have to assume that the above all relate to Princess.[/font][/color]

[color=#3300cc][font=Verdana]The only prohibition in the policy is shorts, etc. There is no caveat for mandated formal wear. Since Princess wrote and published the current policy, then Princess has dealt with the issue once and for all. I think what is meant is Princess should acquiesce to another opinion and change their policy. The policy is published and has been for years, seems fairly carved in stone as much as that metaphor applies here. Princess has no policy requiring passengers to dress in formal attire in the dining room; therefore, they are enforcing that part of the policy. “You don’t want to dress formally? Go to the buffet.” Reminds me of a time when some of us were sent to the back of the bus and had to use different bathrooms (dining rooms). [/font][/color]
[color=#3300cc][/color]
[color=#3300cc][font=Verdana]Just my opinion![/font][/color]

[quote name='bombero']Formal night should be just that, and it should be strictly enforced in the dining rooms, clubs, and show lounge throughout the entire evening... Bombero...(I know I'm going to get blasted over this)[/QUOTE]

I was spared!..I was spared!..Bombero. :) :D :)

My wife and I have been on many cruises and our favorite line for a lot of years was Holland America. However we got a little tired of the Formal type of cruise and tried other less formal lines. Princess was the ultimate for us and a new and permanent cruise line entered our life. I gave my tux and all accessories to the Salvation Army and bought a new suit and tie. Our opinion is that in todays day and age a suit, sport coat, tie, and corresponding dress, smart casual, etc for my wife is where its at. This does not prohibit those who wish to do the Presidential Inagural thing with tux et al but likewise does not make us a putz because we dont. Forcing everyone to be clones is not prudent and would not work with us anyway. Good taste should prevail. (hopefully) earl

[quote name='bombero']Formal night should be just that, and it should be strictly enforced in the dining rooms, clubs, and show lounge throughout the entire evening... Bombero...(I know I'm going to get blasted over this)[/QUOTE]

I totaly agree, I look forward to getting dressed up, my wife and I do not do it all year and it just creates a certain mood on the ship that evening.

Tom M

Archived