If we could settle one issue forever...

srphnx

What issue would you like to see settled once and for all and why?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. What issue would you like to see settled once and for all and why?

• Formal means formal?
    • Anytime vs. Tradtional dining?
    • Booze smuggling ok?
    • Cruise cost discounting?
    • Specific Cabin vs. Guarentee?
    • Auto tip vs. Evelope?

[quote name='srphnx'][b][color=black]There does seem to be a gender divide there, I rarely hear men gleefully use formal nights as a reason to go tux shopping. Dress up is for big girls too it seems.[/color][/b][/QUOTE]I did go "Tux shopping" after 6 cruises, don't know if it was "gleefull", but I'm sorry to see the "downgraded" meaning of "formal nights". If we go for a stroll on deck at midnight on formal night, we'll both still be 'formally dressed'.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkred]Maybe Princess is trying to define the "formal" issue at bit better. In the 2005 Alaska Cruise Book, it states that "On formal nights, appropriate attire includes evening gowns and cocktail dresses for the ladies and tuxedos, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for the men".. The word "suggested" is nowhere to be found on the page.[/color][/font][/b]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=-1][color=darkred][b]Appropriate..[/b][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkred][b]Suitable for a particular person, condition, occasion, or place; fitting[/b][/color][/font]
[b][color=#8b0000][font=Arial][color=darkred][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkred][b]Consistent with prevailing or accepted standards or circumstances[/b][/color][/font]
[/color][/b][/font]

[b][color=black]You have stated it more than once that I recall, as recently as "SHE is a HE" in another post.[/color][/b]

[b][color=black]Mr. Dictionary... lets not hijack this thread into your pet cause.[/color][/b]

I'm tired of hearing people tell me to not open my balcony door. I don't tell people to stop smoking around me, keep their kids silent around me or anything else they want to do on their vacation. If I have to suffer through their things, they can suffer through mine, and I'm keeping my door open :) (Before getting blasted, we turn the AC off...)

[quote name='DoniaG']Anybody ever notice how it's always the [b]guys[/b] who end up arguing this point?!?![/QUOTE]It's the [b]gals [/b]fault! First, you have so many choices of different and interesting things to wear based on the season, occasion, and degree of dressiness desired. Second, you are always cold.

Men have few options - and remember, these comments come from someone who enjoys formal nights - a restrictive tuxedo with your choice of colors, as long as black and white are your choices (before Labor Day, that is) and a dark suit in blue or black. The only way to express individuality is in one's choice of neckwear. Whee!

Then, since you ladies are always freezing, apparently the AC is turned off for the evening. We men, dutifully, suffer in our sauna suits and do a decent job until you want us to do things like dance.

The only recourse is a kilt, which I can tell you on good authority can leave you feeling cool as a cucumber. Unfortunately, cool and cucumbers don't always go together well, and since the point of the evening is romance, ending up with a gherkin puts a damper on things. One must exercise risk management and suffer in silence.

So, there you have it.

[quote name='srphnx'][b][color=black]Mr. Dictionary... lets not hijack this thread into your pet cause.[/color][/b][/QUOTE][color=black][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Srphnx, being that you and I have different opinions on formal/non-formal and mine (in part) is based on the cruise lines own policy does not make my expressing my opinion my or anyone else's a “pet cause.” I believe you don’t like my factually based statements and opinion. Case in point: My first post in this thread was post number 46. The following is quoted from post number 45:[b] “[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana]I think that some folks on these boards just goad others to "stir the pot." You don't want to dress formally? Go to the buffet.”[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana]Now, prior to the above quoted post, there are 44 other posts with the majority concerning formal dress. The following all preceded my first posting as well: “Enforce the policy, or drop it.”, “Princess should once and for all deal with their dress codes and enforce whatever they are…”, “…carve it in stone.”, “I wish Princess would stand by their policy of dressing in formal wear for the dining rooms.”, “You don't want to dress formally? Go to the buffet.” It’s interesting that you didn’t accuse anyone else of have a “pet cause.” I take your labeling of this issue as my “pet cause” as a compliment. My statements and opinions have been forceful, well stated, and mostly based in fact. My position is fully defensible and unarguable based on the cruise lines policy. On the other hand, some folks desire to impose their will on me to dress in formal attire is wholly without foundation. I understand that can be frustrating, however (and as I have stated before) your labeling of me does not further your position, in fact it impugns and impeaches that position.[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana]As I have noted before, it’s interesting that I have yet to read a post from a non-formal wearing passenger attempting to impose their desire to not wear formal attire on anyone who choose to wear formal attire. Yet, some who wear formal attire wish to impose their desire on us non-formal wearing passengers, even though the policy does not require formal attire.[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana]I know most on either side of this issue will never agree. I have never started one of these formal threads. Your accusation that I am moving this thread towards my “pet cause” is absurd. I won’t shut up on this issue. I didn’t start this thread and was FAR from the first to post about this issue in this thread. Don’t I have as much right to post my opinion and facts as you do?[/font][/color]

[quote name='Shipkicker'][color=black][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Srphnx, being that you and I have different opinions on formal/non-formal and mine (in part) is based on the cruise lines own policy does not make my expressing my opinion my or anyone else's “pet cause.” I believe you don’t like my factually based statements and opinion.[/size][/font][/color][/QUOTE][b][color=black]You and I (and you and nearly everyone else) have debated this point to all the conclusion that will ever be reached here. The merits of your argument or lack there of is not at issue, this thread asks, "what would you like settled" which assumes a controversy.[/color][/b]
[b][color=black][/b]
[b][b][color=black]It does not ask to try to settle them or in this case continue to waste time trying. I have asked people NOT to engage in back and forth bickering. [/color][/b]

[/color][/b]
[b][color=black]As a gesture of good will I let your comment about how your opinion is based on the cruise lines policy, implying mine wasn't slide, see if you can muster up similar tact won't you?[/color][/b]

[b][color=black]The reason I asked you not to engage in your pet cause is that not only do you post your position on this matter in every thread I read about it you also have added it to your signature. So, bottom line, lets play well with others. [/color][/b]

There is only one thing on the list that I consider truly important -- tipping issues. Everyone should remain mindful that the tips constitute the salaries for the employees. My vote is to keep hands off the auto-tip system.

I could care less what someone else pays for their cruise, how they acquire their drinks, or what they wear. None of that affects me -- not enough to ruin my vacation.
J

[font=Arial][size=3]Srphnx, you’re correct that I am in the minority on this issue. Even minorities have a voice (pet cause)![/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=3]Don’t I have as much right to post my opinion and facts as you do?[/size][/font]

The DW and I enjoy formal nights - our formal wear consists of a dark suit for myself and a cocktail outfit for DW - I won't go the tux route - Sometimes I shed the suit for more comfortable wear after dinner, but not always. If one doesn't want to go formal per the Princess suggested wear then they should not be allowed in the dining rooms on formal night - they can use the buffet.

Hope I didn't offend anyone

Ron

[color=black][font=Verdana]“If one doesn't want to go formal per the Princess suggested wear then they should not be allowed in the dining rooms on formal night - they can use the buffet.”[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana]Kind of reminds me of when some of us had to sit in the back of the bus and use separate bathrooms (dining rooms)!

”Hope I didn't offend anyone”[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Verdana]Does not offend me at all![/font][/color]

[color=black][b]This post asked for your opinion on what you would like to be SETTLED... not argued. I have politely asked you to refrain from debating on this thread more than once. [/b][/color]
[color=black][/color]
[color=black][b]You can do what you will, but if you seek to convince others of your "factual position", you might consider how fighting when asked not to reflects on you.[/b] [/color][color=black][b]For instance you will note I have expressed no opinion of any kind on the matter here.[/b][/color]
[b][color=black][/color][/b]
[color=black][/color]
[color=black] [[/color]QUOTE=Shipkicker][font=Arial][size=3]Srphnx, you’re correct that I am in the minority on this issue. Even minorities have a voice (pet cause)![/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]Don’t I have as much right to post my opinion and facts as you do?[/size][/font][/QUOTE]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]I am pointing out that the issue of formal/non-formal that others posted is settled. Princess has a policy on the issue that is clear! You’re correct, this thread asked what you would like to see settled. Since the policy is there, what is to be settled? Thanks for pointing that out, had not thought of that. Following your reasoning, then all these posts about settling the formal/non-formal issue is off topic![/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]I’m fairly confident that my days on this board are numbered. I expect to be banished, not because I have violated any guideline for posting, but because my opinion on this issue flies against the prevailing wind, so to speak. I have received no communication indicating my online demise. There is no free speech here as this board is private property and I don’t have a right of conversion, however, neither do those on the other side of the issue. I have found the debate to be interesting and many times well stated from both sides. Srphnx, Sue, bdjam, et al, I think you all are great fun. Hope we can meet someday, maybe on a cruise. I hold no ill will at all; in fact, I hold a measure of admiration for your willingness to stand behind your statements, opinions and beliefs, as do I. That’s one of the foundations that have brought this great country to where it is today![/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Until I am summarily dismissed from this environ, I will continue to make my opinions known and state my experiences when applicable.[/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]Thanks to all![/font][/size]

Archived