Snack Foods

onemorecruise

I bring nuts, nutrition bars, peanut butter.

Note: bring factory sealed if you plan on taking them on shore excursions...on our last cruise they wouldn't let me take the nuts I had in my ziplock bag...I probably wouldn't have been noticed had I not asked whether it was okay, but they did say that if my bag was searched and they found it something would happen -- either they'd take it away or I'd get fined or something, I can't quite remember. We were in the caribbean/Panama Canal area...how strict they are on this kind of thing might depend on the area, the ship, the alignment of the stars and moon... ;)

Protein bars for excursions.

Having said this, we were on Explorer last week. I stopped to grab a quick breakfast in the Windjammer one day while DH slept in. A couple was seated at the next table. The gentleman had taken two slices of toast and a plate of tomato and lettuce from the buffet. He pulled a plastic bag out of his tote which contained several items. I tried hard not to stare but was fascinated as he removed first a squeeze bottle of Hellman's light and applied it to his toast. Then he removed a shrink-wrapped round of white cheese, sliced it and put it on as well. Next came a plastic wrapped slice of yellow cheese. He topped this with the tomato and lettuce, some more Hellman's and the other slice of toast and then proceeded to enjoy his sandwich.

So, I guess MY question would be - is there anyone who actually brings their own food to eat on the ship at mealtime???? There was plenty of assorted cheese on the buffet as well as packets of Hellman's (albeit not "light" but . . .)

Protein bars for excursions.

Having said this, we were on Explorer last week. I stopped to grab a quick breakfast in the Windjammer one day while DH slept in. A couple was seated at the next table. The gentleman had taken two slices of toast and a plate of tomato and lettuce from the buffet. He pulled a plastic bag out of his tote which contained several items. I tried hard not to stare but was fascinated as he removed first a squeeze bottle of Hellman's light and applied it to his toast. Then he removed a shrink-wrapped round of white cheese, sliced it and put it on as well. Next came a plastic wrapped slice of yellow cheese. He topped this with the tomato and lettuce, some more Hellman's and the other slice of toast and then proceeded to enjoy his sandwich.

So, I guess MY question would be - is there anyone who actually brings their own food to eat on the ship at mealtime???? There was plenty of assorted cheese on the buffet as well as packets of Hellman's (albeit not "light" but . . .)

Might have been Kosher cheeses. There are lots of dietary reasons that could explain this seemingly strange behavior.

• 2 weeks later...

I bring no snack foods on a cruise. The ships runneth over with food. Pizza slices to be eaten just because they're there! etc., etc. self-serve soft-serve. heaven!!

(no wonder after 8 cruises since Jan. 2005 I begin a weight loss seminar supervised by my internist and his group's registered dietician this week!)

Do they sell snack foods in the shops onboard?

They have on the three cruises I've been on so far. They have a "sundry" type shop and I was able to buy bags of peanuts there. They also sell gum, mints, stuff like that. My problem is that my diet is so restricted that I can't rely on just that.

But the one thing we have never found on a ship is my husband's favorite snack. Popcorn! If anyone knows of a cruise line or ship that has popcorn available, let me know. We'll most likely be looking to book that one when he hears.

We do buy it when on shore, but sometimes he really wants it, and there is no port scheduled for several days.

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...
But the one thing we have never found on a ship is my husband's favorite snack. Popcorn! If anyone knows of a cruise line or ship that has popcorn available, let me know. We'll most likely be looking to book that one when he hears.

We do buy it when on shore, but sometimes he really wants it, and there is no port scheduled for several days.

Nancy

Nancy, they serve popcorn at Movies under the Stars on the Caribbean Princess.

Karen

Nancy

Nancy,

Carnival sells popcorn in the evening outside where the Giant movie screen is next to the pool. This movie screen is only on the newer ships...Liberty & Freedom. Also, I was just on the NCL Dream in April 2007 and they have fresh popcorn for free in the piano bar starting at 3:00pm every day. Bags are small so get 2 or 3 for you and your DH.

Leslie

Archived